Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 29 2008, 06:02 PM   #1
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Has blu-ray failed?

Is Blu-ray ever going to get sufficient market penetration to become the format of choice ? or is it going to a 'skip' technology - something that is passed by most of the market who jump onto whatever comes next?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 06:14 PM   #2
TheInsideMan
Commodore

Re: Has blu-ray failed?

If I walked into Tesco tomorrow and saw a Profile 2.0 player for £30, I wouldn't buy it. What's the point when you end up paying so much extra for Blu Ray films, compared to the same content on standard-def DVDs?

I'm happy with upscaling my existing SD DVD collection and using services like Cable VOD and Xbox Video Marketplace. The HD AV quality those options offer won't match Blu-Ray, but its 'good enough' for me.

Last edited by TheInsideMan; November 29 2008 at 08:52 PM.
TheInsideMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 06:26 PM   #3
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

TheInsideMan wrote: View Post
If I walked into Tesco tomorrow and saw a Profile 2.0 player for £30, I wouldn't buy it. What's the point when you end up paying so much extra for Blu Ray films
You shouldn't.
Old November 29 2008, 06:27 PM   #4
TedShatner10
Commodore

I'd say Blu-Ray is the tallest dwarf in comparison to HD-DVD, a moderate success that fares somewhat better than Betamax.
TedShatner10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Lonemagpie
Writer

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Is Blu-ray ever going to get sufficient market penetration to become the format of choice ? or is it going to a 'skip' technology - something that is passed by most of the market who jump onto whatever comes next?
It'll skip a generation, until the next piece of technology.

Really, HDDVD and BluRay are the VCD and Laserdisc of this generation

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 06:31 PM   #6
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
If you keep thinking that way, you'll never get anything new.
Old November 29 2008, 06:41 PM   #7
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Depends. If something better comes along fairly quickly it will be skipped. However, it could catch on if it is forced upon us, much like CDs were. I only stopped buying casettes and had to get a CD player when the cassette section at the store had dwindled down to about 20 choices. Same thing with VHS and DVD. I kept buying VHS tapes until you just couldn't anymore and I finally got a DVD player when someone else had an extra and gave it to me. And even then I still got Lord of the Rings on VHS online through Amazon. So if they take away our choices, then yes it will catch on. But it would be really shitty of them to do that since it would mean having to buy a new TV as well. I would probably just stop buying movies until I really needed to buy a new TV and HD was cheap enough.
—T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 06:45 PM   #8
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
Depends. If something better comes along fairly quickly it will be skipped. However, it could catch on if it is forced upon us, much like CDs were. I only stopped buying casettes and had to get a CD player when the cassette section at the store had dwindled down to about 20 choices. Same thing with VHS and DVD.
But that wasn't "forced" the technologies had captured significant market share and the availiability and decline of the older formats was reflected in that.

There is no way that blu-ray would be "forced" on you - the market share isn't there...
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 06:45 PM   #9
Siwilliams
Fleet Captain

I don't see what is wrong with standard dvd. I don't like to see people sweat, that is the common reason I read, when people say why they get blu ray dvds and players....to see the actors sweat.......disgusting.

Also blu rays are way...way to expensive, and stardard dvds in the main market are new still. I have way to many NEW standard dvds to even think about converting to blu ray dvds.
Siwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 06:49 PM   #10
SGCSG1
Lieutenant

IMHO blu-ray is another spectacular failure from Sony. Even with their destroying the superior format by buying off (in the hundred of millions of dollars) studio support, it still can't do better than what - five percent market share?

This is with hi-def tv's selling like crazy. No, it will never be anything but a niche product. It will never have more than 25% market share.

The damn discs are too expensive and always will be. It costs a fortune to make a blu-ray disk, as opposed to hd-dvd which could be made in dvd plants with minor upgrades. Blu-ray is a Japanese professional disc format that Sony bought and modified for home use. It was never intended to be a home format. It's a mess.
SGCSG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 06:54 PM   #11
SG-17
Commodore

We cannot really be sure if Blu-ray has failed yet.
We know that it beat out HD-DVD and has the support of almost every major studio, not to mention that it is the format which the PS3 uses.

Last edited by SG-17; November 29 2008 at 07:55 PM.
SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 07:00 PM   #12
nevermore
Admiral

I have no intention of upgrading to Blu Ray. The trade-off on the investment just isn't worth it, especially given that 90% of my DVDs are television series, most of which aren't even wide-screen, let alone HD. I just don't care about seeing every flaw and detail...
Old November 29 2008, 07:22 PM   #13
SGCSG1
Lieutenant

SG-17 wrote: View Post
We cannot really be sure if Blu-ray has failed yet.
We know that it beat our HD-DVD and has the support of almost every major studio, not to mention that it is the format which the PS3 uses.
It didn't 'beat' hd-dvd. Sony bought off studio support to kill hd-dvd.
SGCSG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 07:36 PM   #14
Lonemagpie
Writer

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
If you keep thinking that way, you'll never get anything new.
Some technologies just don't catch on

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 07:37 PM   #15
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

flamingliberal wrote: View Post
I have no intention of upgrading to Blu Ray. The trade-off on the investment just isn't worth it, especially given that 90% of my DVDs are television series, most of which aren't even wide-screen, let alone HD. I just don't care about seeing every flaw and detail...
Same here. My DVD collection percentage isn't as high on TV sets but the principal is the same.

I've said it before, as have others, its just not that big and/or significant an upgrade. The visuals aren't that much better the sound clarity isn't that much improved. Sure they are but its not that big a deal.

I'm waiting. Maybe the next gen device will be a datarod ala TNG style!
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote