RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,450
Posts: 5,508,164
Members: 25,131
Currently online: 501
Newest member: xunixan

TrekToday headlines

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 18 2008, 09:13 PM   #256
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: Tons of New Kelvin Info! (Including crew pics)

Akiraprise wrote: View Post
I hope when we eventually see Captain Robau in action he is able to meet our high expectations.

I mean, surely, a captain as badass as Robau deserves to command a dreadnought cruiser and not some wussy little science vessel like the Kelvin.
When Captain Robau is in command, even a "wussy little science ship" is to be feared. Watch out, Nero. Your Space Octopus days are numbered!
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2008, 09:14 PM   #257
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore
 
Jackson_Roykirk's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: Tons of New Kelvin Info! (Including crew pics)

Naughty Boy wrote: View Post
Mendez did say that Pike was about Kirk's age, though, which would have made him even younger than Kirk when he was captain.
Yeah, he said that...but it makes no sense.

We know that Kirk was in his early-to-mid 30s during The Menagerie, because a.) he looked like he was in his early-to-mid 30s, and b.) He said in a later episode that he was 34.

Therefore, since the events from Talos IV happened 13 years prior, then that would mean that Pike was in his early 20s -- possibly 20 or 21 -- during The Cage, and he clearly was not 20 or 21.

No...Either Mendez mis-spoke, Malachi Throne screwed-up his line, or the writers screwed up. Either way, I'll ignore that single statement because it seems so non-sequitur with the rest of what we learned about Pike in The Menagerie.
__________________

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...

Last edited by Jackson_Roykirk; December 18 2008 at 09:25 PM.
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2008, 09:55 PM   #258
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
SantaEddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: Tons of New Kelvin Info! (Including crew pics)

Picard was only 28 when he rose to become Stargazer captain in 2333, but that was an emergency field promotion after the previous captain was killed on duty. Kirk was promoted around the age of 30 or 31. John Harriman of the Enterprise-B is probably well into his thirties when we see him in GENERATIONS based in part on his line about having read about Kirk's original missions while still in grade school.
__________________
Remember what cooleddie74 says, kids:

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2008, 09:59 PM   #259
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral
 
Rķu rķu, chķu's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Laser Beam is in the visitor's bullpen
View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile
Re: Tons of New Kelvin Info! (Including crew pics)

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Naughty Boy wrote: View Post
Mendez did say that Pike was about Kirk's age, though, which would have made him even younger than Kirk when he was captain.
Yep.
Wasn't Mendez referring to the time that Pike was in command of the Enterprise? Meaning, Pike was the same age *then* as Kirk is *now*. Obviously it wouldn't work to literally have them be the same age, as Kirk was only a cadet (if that) during the events of 'Menagerie'.
__________________
"A hot dog at the ballpark is better than a steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart
Rķu rķu, chķu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2008, 10:18 PM   #260
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore
 
Jackson_Roykirk's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: Tons of New Kelvin Info! (Including crew pics)

^
^^ Yeah -- I thought of this too, but when exactly would *then* be. At the time Mendez said that line, they did not even yet mention the Enterprise or the fact that Pike was once its Captain. They were not talking about a particular time in the past at that point in the conversation -- they were just talking about Pike.

That would be like me saying "President Bush -- he's about my age" when what I really mean to say is that President Bush was ONCE my age...well, yeah, if he is older than me then of course he was once my age.

EDIT TO ADD:

I went to the transcripts and found this:

MENDEZ: You ever met Chris Pike?
KIRK: When he was promoted to Fleet Captain.
MENDEZ: About your age. Big, handsome man, vital, active.
KIRK: I took over the Enterprise from him. Spock served with him for several years.
SPOCK: Eleven years, four months, five days.
MCCOY: What's his problem, Commodore?
MENDEZ: Inspection tour of a cadet vessel. Old Class J starship. One of the baffle plates ruptured.
MCCOY: The delta rays?
MENDEZ: He went in bringing out all those kids that were still alive. Just wanted you gentlemen to be prepared.

I suppose it is possible that Mendez meant that Pike was Kirk's age when Pike was promoted to fleet captain, but that doesn't really work either, since he lalready ooked older than Kirk during The Cage and was not yet Fleet Captain then.

I'll still go with Mendez (or Throne) mis-speaking...it happens.
__________________

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...

Last edited by Jackson_Roykirk; December 18 2008 at 10:34 PM.
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2008, 10:29 PM   #261
Ezri II
Captain
 
Re: Tons of New Kelvin Info! (Including crew pics)

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
Akiraprise wrote: View Post
I hope when we eventually see Captain Robau in action he is able to meet our high expectations.

I mean, surely, a captain as badass as Robau deserves to command a dreadnought cruiser and not some wussy little science vessel like the Kelvin.
"What does Captain Robau need with a starship?"
Maybe he wants time travel so he can tell Winona Ryder not to go shoplifting

Take care friend and sister
Ezri II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2008, 10:36 PM   #262
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
SantaEddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: Tons of New Kelvin Info! (Including crew pics)

Ezri II wrote: View Post
SPCTRE wrote: View Post
Akiraprise wrote: View Post
I hope when we eventually see Captain Robau in action he is able to meet our high expectations.

I mean, surely, a captain as badass as Robau deserves to command a dreadnought cruiser and not some wussy little science vessel like the Kelvin.
"What does Captain Robau need with a starship?"
Maybe he wants time travel so he can tell Winona Ryder not to go shoplifting

Take care friend and sister

Or maybe so he can score her ass before she gets picked up by the cops. Few things beat Winona tail before the cuffs go on.
__________________
Remember what cooleddie74 says, kids:

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2008, 11:15 PM   #263
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: Tons of New Kelvin Info! (Including crew pics)

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
^
^^ Yeah -- I thought of this too, but when exactly would *then* be. At the time Mendez said that line, they did not even yet mention the Enterprise or the fact that Pike was once its Captain. They were not talking about a particular time in the past at that point in the conversation -- they were just talking about Pike.

[...]

EDIT TO ADD:

I went to the transcripts and found this:

[scene here]

I suppose it is possible that Mendez meant that Pike was Kirk's age when Pike was promoted to fleet captain, but that doesn't really work either, since he lalready ooked older than Kirk during The Cage and was not yet Fleet Captain then.

I'll still go with Mendez (or Throne) mis-speaking...it happens.
I might also be inclined to suspect late script revisions or line cuts as a culprit -- a few obvious goofs made it on-screen, probably due to looming production deadlines -- but looking at this, I see nothing which indicates that any changes or cuts were made to the script in the exchange between Mendez and Kirk there.

Really, though, this isn't a detail I worry about much.
__________________
The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but
that the lightning ain't distributed right.
— Mark Twain
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2008, 03:04 AM   #264
Psion
Commodore
 
Psion's Avatar
 
Location: Lat: 40.1630936 Lon: -75.1183777
View Psion's Twitter Profile
Re: Tons of New Kelvin Info! (Including crew pics)

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
^
^^ Yeah -- I thought of this too, but when exactly would *then* be. At the time Mendez said that line, they did not even yet mention the Enterprise or the fact that Pike was once its Captain. They were not talking about a particular time in the past at that point in the conversation -- they were just talking about Pike.

[...]

EDIT TO ADD:

I went to the transcripts and found this:

[scene here]

I suppose it is possible that Mendez meant that Pike was Kirk's age when Pike was promoted to fleet captain, but that doesn't really work either, since he lalready ooked older than Kirk during The Cage and was not yet Fleet Captain then.

I'll still go with Mendez (or Throne) mis-speaking...it happens.
I might also be inclined to suspect late script revisions or line cuts as a culprit -- a few obvious goofs made it on-screen, probably due to looming production deadlines -- but looking at this, I see nothing which indicates that any changes or cuts were made to the script in the exchange between Mendez and Kirk there.

Really, though, this isn't a detail I worry about much.
That was nice. I loved the exchange that shows McCoy outwitting Spock. I dearly wish that had been preserved somehow!
__________________
Twinkies are back. I knew they couldn't stay away from me for long.
Psion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
uss kelvin

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.