Stewart Snotbot Support
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Ryan Joins Arrow
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Retro Review: Jetrel
By: Michelle on Jul 24

New ThinkGeek Trek-Themed Products
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old December 29 2008, 05:54 AM   #46
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Why so little Uhura in ST3?

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Interesting (and by that I mean "confusing"), that a world would need an embassy to a Federation of which it is a member...
Why wouldn't Vulcans have a few places they could call home, just because they'd joined the UFP? Earth would have a few Earth embassies on Vulcan, too.
In ENT's time frame, maybe. But that's only because there's no Federation at that point. In TOS and later, there is. With a Federation, what's the need for embassies? The UFP is not the United Nations. It's an integrated political body. You don't see the various states in the USA having embassies with each other, do you?

Did she lock him in, or just tell him to get into it, so he couldn't be penalized for what he'd otherwise witness.
I always assumed she locked him in. Otherwise he would, well, escape.

And as for what he'd *witness*? He'd already seen what was going to happen. Starfleet wouldn't penalize him for just that, would they? Once he saw who was showing up there, he pointed out exactly what his duty required him to. He noted that Kirk and crew had no orders, no IDs, no authorization. He did what was required of him. All that Uhura would let him do, at any rate...he was (presumably) unarmed, so he had no way to stop what was about to happen. This is why I see Uhura's actions against him as pure spite.

She told Kirk she'd have him eating out her hand, or similar, so she didn't intend to leave him there forever.
Perhaps. As I pointed out, she wasn't charged with his murder, so he must have gotten out somehow. Maybe she told Starfleet where to find him. Guess that would be the pickle on the giant shit sandwich that was his day.
Old December 29 2008, 06:04 AM   #47
cardinal biggles
HHHHIIIIIIIIIIII...

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Even if Uhura had locked him in, I'm sure that he would have been let out long before he starved to death. Once Kirk stole the Enterprise, Uhura would have been at the top of Starfleet's list of possible accomplices to round up for interrogation. A security team would have been dispatched to the transporter station, and Mr. Adventure would have been discovered when the security guys swept the building.
"They quickly settled on the slender island at the head of the bay, which they called 'Mannahatta', after an old Indian word thought by some to mean 'island of hills', and by others 'place of general inebriation'."
—New York: A Documentary Film
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 06:16 AM   #48
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

fra-gee-lay wrote: View Post
Even if Uhura had locked him in, I'm sure that he would have been let out long before he starved to death. Once Kirk stole the Enterprise, Uhura would have been at the top of Starfleet's list of possible accomplices to round up for interrogation. A security team would have been dispatched to the transporter station, and Mr. Adventure would have been discovered when the security guys swept the building.
Depends on how good Uhura was at covering her tracks. She must have done something to the transporter and/or the computer records to prevent Starfleet from doing things like following her, trying to beam the crew back off the Enterprise, or otherwise fouling up her plan. Who knows how any of her actions in that regard helped, or hindered, the possibility of Mr. Adventure being rescued.
Old December 29 2008, 03:17 PM   #49
Shatmandu
Vice Admiral

Shatmandu wrote: View Post
I remember reading some slash about what Uhura did with "Mister Adventure" in that closet.

Jeez!

Joe, not easily shocked
Why did she lock him in there anyway?
In the Slash fiction?

So she could shave his genitals and then cornhole him with some kind of sentient dildo.

Joe, never the same ... never the same
Shatmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2008, 03:47 PM   #50
Yassim
Fleet Captain

Is there a movie where Uhura had more to do?

The only example that springs to mind is the fan dance... the horror... the horror... or the book-reading-Klingon-translation... she should have asked for a death scene in STIV.
Old December 29 2008, 06:03 PM   #51
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Why is everyone so down on the fan-dance scene? Gosh, I only hope I look that good when I'm that age.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2008, 01:19 AM   #52
Kryton
Admiral

It's DAMN IRREGULAR, that's why!
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2008, 01:20 AM   #53
cardinal biggles
HHHHIIIIIIIIIIII...

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

They have pills for that, y'know.
"They quickly settled on the slender island at the head of the bay, which they called 'Mannahatta', after an old Indian word thought by some to mean 'island of hills', and by others 'place of general inebriation'."
—New York: A Documentary Film
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2008, 04:36 AM   #54
Red Ranger
Admiral

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
Why is everyone so down on the fan-dance scene? Gosh, I only hope I look that good when I'm that age.
Peach Wookie:

Agreed! And I'd hit Uhura in the shape she was when she did the fan dance. Hell yeah! I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more fan dance!

Red Ranger

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2008, 02:06 AM   #55
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

fra-gee-lay wrote: View Post
Depends on how good Uhura was at covering her tracks. She must have done something to the transporter and/or the computer records to prevent Starfleet from doing things like following her, trying to beam the crew back off the Enterprise, or otherwise fouling up her plan. Who knows how any of her actions in that regard helped, or hindered, the possibility of Mr. Adventure being rescued.
Why are you so fixated on him nearly dying? He would have been discovered at the end of his shift. They didn't live in there for days, it would have been a couple hours at most.
Old December 31 2008, 02:14 AM   #56
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Why are you so fixated on him nearly dying?
Somebody has to be. Uhura clearly wasn't.

Oh, and I'm claustrophobic. I guess I can't think of that scene without having flashbacks. That enough for ya?

He would have been discovered at the end of his shift. They didn't live in there for days, it would have been a couple hours at most.
Perhaps. Depends on how long a shift is, and how long they had been on duty. Who knows, shifts could be longer in this time period (depending on if there's a food replicator and a W.C. handy). And I'm just hazarding a guess that the closet wasn't sound proof.

Like I said, though, there was no actual *reason* for Uhura to lock him in there. She was angry at him, and wanted to make him suffer. That much is clear to me. All she had to do to stop him from interfering was to stun him with her phaser. By the time he awoke, she'd be long gone. Locking him in the closet served no logical purpose other than some sick sense of revenge - for ONE verbal slip-up (which, as I also said, was not entirely untrue).
Old December 31 2008, 02:52 AM   #57
Yassim
Fleet Captain

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
Because when there's only one woman on the team (the anti-hostage paramilitary team), asking her to shake her ass to distract the enemy is ... embarrasing? shouldn't work? not cool?

Don't get me wrong - she's hot. But it is DAMNED IRREGULAR!
Old December 31 2008, 06:18 AM   #58
Kryton
Admiral

All right, Mr. Adventure...back into the storage closet with you!
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2008, 07:48 AM   #59
Aragorn
Admiral

Anyone here old enough to remember the Star Trek III trailers spoiling the Enterprise blowing up? How did that make you feel before you saw the film?
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2008, 08:04 AM   #60
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Anyone here old enough to remember the Star Trek III trailers spoiling the Enterprise blowing up? How did that make you feel before you saw the film?
Like, wow, how's Kirk going to carry off that trick?
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote