Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old December 12 2008, 05:30 PM   #16
GodThingFormerly
A Different Kind of Asshole

Re: Andrew Probert's ST:TMP Dry Dock to be Orbited by 2020!

^ Thank you for the response, Andrew. If I may ask, was an actual "roof" designed for ST:TMP's dry dock miniature or did Richard Taylor and/or Douglas Trumbull ask you to leave the internal framework exposed so it could be more easily suspended from the ceiling of the motion-control stage?

TGT
GodThingFormerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2008, 04:00 PM   #17
Probert
Starfleet Design

The God Thing wrote: View Post
If I may ask, was an actual "roof" designed for ST:TMP's dry dock miniature or did Richard Taylor ask you to leave the internal framework exposed so it could be more easily suspended from the ceiling of the motion-control stage?

TGT
I drew it,... they built it. The people at 'Magicam' decided how it would be best supportable, considering how fragile the components were in the real (film) world of a one-g environment. As I recall, the top was left open to cool the lighting components and, yes, help suspend it. Besides, no high camera angles were envisioned so no top was necessary.

Andrew-
Probert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2008, 04:15 PM   #18
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Probert wrote: View Post
I drew it,... they built it. The people at 'Magicam' decided how it would be best supportable, considering how fragile the components were in the real (film) world of a one-g environment. As I recall, the top was left open to cool the lighting components and, yes, help suspend it. Besides, no high camera angles were envisioned so no top was necessary.

Andrew-
Thanks as always, Andrew. Is there any place where these drawings (or pics of the top of the model) have been published?

The other question I always had about the drydock is other than supporting a lot of lights and looking wonderously cool, what does it do?
Old December 17 2008, 01:49 AM   #19
GodThingFormerly
A Different Kind of Asshole

Probert wrote: View Post
I drew it,... they built it.
Ah! I would love to see an illustration or photograph of the dry dock's intended upper surface on ProbertDesigns.com if and when you find the time. May I ask if you recall whether Magicam also built miniatures of the additional "clip-on" habitat modules featured in this sketch?

The people at 'Magicam' decided how it would be best supportable, considering how fragile the components were in the real (film) world of a one-g environment.
Regarding your original triangular-truss dry dock concept (the miniature of which you surmised would have collapsed under its own weight on the mo-con stage), is this the speculative real-world fabrication mechanism you had in mind when designing it?

How ironic that now, when CGI technology can render delicate, filigreed microgravity structures just as easily as it can a lead pipe, we get overbuilt docks that look far more like something to be found in a Tulsa car wrecking yard than LEO/MEO.

TGT
GodThingFormerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2008, 05:26 AM   #20
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

How ironic that now, when CGI technology can render delicate, filigreed microgravity structures just as easily as it can a lead pipe, we get overbuilt docks that look far more like something to be found in a Tulsa car wrecking yard than LEO/MEO.

TGT
It's so it can withstand the full force of that movie's stupidity.
Old December 17 2008, 07:48 AM   #21
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Regarding your original triangular-truss dry dock concept (the miniature of which you surmised would have collapsed under its own weight on the mo-con stage), is this the speculative real-world fabrication mechanism you had in mind when designing it?

TGT
GREAT SCOTT!

What are you thinking, TGT?! Are you honestly expecting us to believe anyone was seriously considering manufacturing things in orbit? Space is dangerous and construction workers might get hurt!

They should build those fantastically long girder structures on the ground where it's safe and lllllllaunch 'em into orbit! It'd be cooler that way too!

[wipes spittle from mouth and sits down]