RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,712
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 841
Newest member: Farside89

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 26 2008, 08:36 AM   #1
biotech
Vice Admiral

If superman is near a red sun

And has no powers, is he still vulnrable to kryptonite?
biotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2008, 08:46 AM   #2
Hermiod
Admiral

Re: If superman is near a red sun

^Not if Kryptonite works the way it's supposed to.

My understanding is that Superman is a solar battery. He stores power in the form of electromagnetic radiation from our yellow sun and that fuels his powers. The more energy from the sun he absorbs the more powerful he gets (at the risk of burning himself out if he ever flew too close).

The radiation from Kryptonite has the effect of interfering with that process and painfully forcing that energy out of him. Since under a red sun he has no energy stored, it would have nothing to force out.

Since Kryptonite apparently comes from Krypton and they managed to live with it on their home planet, it probably doesn't have any effect. I do wonder, though, if it has the same effect on ordinary Kryptonians living under a red sun if they are exposed to it for a long period of time as it did on Lex Luthor, where his Kryptonite ring gave him cancer.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2008, 09:00 AM   #3
Skywalker
Admiral

I don't know if it was ever detailed (though I'm sure it has been somewhere), but what would happen to Superman were he near a blue sun or a white sun?
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2008, 09:38 AM   #4
Mike Farley
Commodore

Kryptonite is a radioactive substance. It doesn't force solar energy out of Superman's body it gives him radiation poisoning. Long enough exposure would eventually kill him. If anything exposure under a red sun would be worse since Superman wouldn't have the extra stamina afforded by his powers to fight off the K-poisoning.

While the specific level of radiation makes Green K especially dangerous to Kryptonians, Kryptonite is also dangerous for humans, although they require a much, much longer exposure time. As noted abouve, Lex Luthor got cancer from wearing a kryptonite ring to ward off Superman.

Kryptonite was formed as a by-product of the destruction of Krypton and THE MAN OF STEEL, some Kryptonians were dying of Green K poisoning as the substance was forming in the dying planets core.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2008, 09:40 AM   #5
Supervisor 194
Captain

Hermiod and Mike Farley gave a very good explanation of the Reboot Superman's weakness to kryptonite, so I'll take a crack at the pre-Crisis Superman's weakness (which I think may be back in continuity):

Due to Earth's lighter gravity, Superman's incredibly dense molecular structure is what makes him vulnerable to the specific wavelength of radiation emitted by kryptonite (and what makes it harmless to humans). One of my favorite old Brave & the Bold issues deals with Metallo (who is powered by K-radiation) readjusting to wavelength to make it deadly to normal humans while he tangles with the Batman and Lois Lane.

Check out my collection of original comic book art
Supervisor 194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2008, 12:54 PM   #6
EnsignRicky
Commodore

He'd get a really nice tan.
Old November 26 2008, 03:13 PM   #7
Christopher
Writer

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I don't know if it was ever detailed (though I'm sure it has been somewhere), but what would happen to Superman were he near a blue sun or a white sun?
I've just been wondering about that one myself. The idea is that Superman's cells work as solar collectors and can get more energy from a hotter yellow (F or G) star than a cooler red (K or M) star. But white (A) and blue (O or B) stars are hotter still, so under the simplest interpretation, Superman would be even more powerful.

However, Elliot S! Maggin made a different assumption in his classic novel Superman: Last Son of Krypton. From Ch. 19:
"You have reduced powers, Kal-El, on a planet whose star sun is blue. Your optical abilities are restricted and your invulnerability to physical assault is not as apparently limitless."
http://superman.nu/thebook/lsok/?chapter=19

I'm not sure whether Maggin's assertion matched what had been established in Silver/Bronze Age comics, but it stands to reason that it would have. I also don't think the book explained why it was the case. It could be that Kryptonian cells aren't calibrated to those particular wavelengths, or that the higher-energy input overloads them somehow. Kind of like putting overly rich fuel into an engine not built for it.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2008, 01:35 AM   #8
LaxScrutiny
Commodore

Lately Supes has been losing power if you shoot him with a red-solar raygun. I saw that it one of the comics, and it was in the Batman-Superman episode of "The Batman". Supes' little son, (who is Zod's actual son if I remember correctly?) wears a red-solar watch to eliminate his powers so he can be a "normal" boy.

So I would imagine there is an actual effect on his cells depending on the wavelength, more than just a weak or strong amount of energy.
LaxScrutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2008, 02:09 AM   #9
Christopher
Writer

Superman losing power under red-sun light is a longstanding trope. In Superman: The Animated Series, it generally wasn't an instantaneous effect, but his yellow-sun "charge" gradually wore out under red-sun light. In other incarnations, I think it was more instantaneous.

Old November 27 2008, 03:33 AM   #10
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

AFAIK, under a white sun, Kal-El's powers would go into overdrive and probably kill him with the overload.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2008, 04:47 AM   #11
Christopher
Writer

I did a bit of Googling... apparently Action Comics #855 introduced a new Bizarro World that was under a blue sun, and Superman had his powers there. Apparently blue sunlight does give Bizarro a "Bizarro vision" power that Bizarrifies the things he looks at, which is how he created that world. And apparently it gave Superman the equivalent ability to temporarily induce Kryptonian powers in humans, as well as boosting his own powers. (By the way, this thread is currently the 7th hit on "Superman 'blue sun'.")

Old November 27 2008, 05:24 AM   #12
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Also I believe living under a blue sun would cause Superman to develop a hankering for Fruity Oaty Bars.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2008, 06:04 AM   #13
Skywalker
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I did a bit of Googling... apparently Action Comics #855 introduced a new Bizarro World that was under a blue sun, and Superman had his powers there. Apparently blue sunlight does give Bizarro a "Bizarro vision" power that Bizarrifies the things he looks at, which is how he created that world. And apparently it gave Superman the equivalent ability to temporarily induce Kryptonian powers in humans, as well as boosting his own powers. (By the way, this thread is currently the 7th hit on "Superman 'blue sun'.")
Awesome.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2008, 06:19 AM   #14
TGTheodore
Writer

Who knows? There have been so many frigging versions of Superman, who knows?

--Ted
Old November 27 2008, 06:33 AM   #15
Quantum
Captain

You all got it wrong...

Under a red sun Supes weakness to kryptonite is greatly reduced. The weaker Superman is the less Kryptonite hurts him. This is addressed on an episode of Justice League Unlimited called Chaos at the Earth's Core dealing with Metallo and Supergirl. How Krptonite hurts Superman has never been revealed. I don't think it blocks yellow sun radiation becasue a red sun would have simialr effects to kryptionite. Kryptonie was formed when Krypton exploded so it was never present on the planet. I think it affects supes like uranium would effect a human. O yeah Superman has flown through the sun to supercharge his powers, so him getting burned is a not issue.....
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote