RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,717
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 768
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old November 22 2008, 08:22 PM   #1
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

Bit of fun, aka Game: From canon to apocrypha

I'm guessing that Trek novels are written to conform to the screen continuity of the time. And it's only through subsequent shows and movies that they lose their conformity.

Brownie points for the book, and the later episode/movie that contradicted that story, and the plot point in question.

The more recent the book, the more brownie points to be had.

Gold Awards for books that were apocryphal at time of writing.

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2008, 09:14 PM   #2
tranya
Commander

View tranya's Twitter Profile
Re: Bit of fun, aka Game: From canon to apocrypha

So, you want us to name things? Like, in Imzadi, Riker's middle name is "Thelonius" and a year later it's confirmed to be "Thomas" on screen?
Old November 22 2008, 09:25 PM   #3
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

Zigackly!

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2008, 01:48 AM   #4
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

The "Augments" episodes of ENTERPRISE gave the Eugenics Wars a much bigger body count than my novels on the subject. They also introduced the term "Augments" which appears nowhere in my books . . .

C'est la vie.
Old November 23 2008, 02:18 AM   #5
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The Laughing Vulcan wrote: View Post
Gold Awards for books that were apocryphal at time of writing.
At the time of writing? Or at the time of publication?

For instance, K.W. Jeter's Bloodletter plot hinges on the engine buffers that had to be installed on ships before they entered the wormhole lest the ships damage the Prophets. Except that's a plot point from the series bible that never made it to air.

Or some of the early Voyager novels that refer to the EMH as "Doctor Zimmermann," because the series bible said that the EMH would take on the name of his creator early on.

More along the lines of what you're looking for, Dark Mirror was a perfectly fine 24th-century exploration of the Mirror Universe, until six months later when "Crossover" aired.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2008, 03:29 AM   #6
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

The Laughing Vulcan wrote: View Post
The more recent the book, the more brownie points to be had.
I'm guessing the most recent such book would be Starfleet: Year One.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2008, 05:15 AM   #7
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
The "Augments" episodes of ENTERPRISE gave the Eugenics Wars a much bigger body count than my novels on the subject. They also introduced the term "Augments" which appears nowhere in my books . . .

C'est la vie.
Also, wasn't there an episode of Deep Space Nine (where Bashir's genetic enhancements are revealed) that altered the date of the Eugenics Wars by a couple of hundred years? I had assumed it was because the show was airing in the 90's, when the Wars had supposedly taken place.

Last edited by Julio Angel Ortiz; November 23 2008 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Typo
Julio Angel Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2008, 05:31 AM   #8
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

Julio Angel Ortiz wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post

C'est la vie.
Also, wasn't there an episode of Deep Space Nine (where Bashir's genetic enhancements are revealed) that altered the date of the Eugenics Wars by a couple of hundred years? I had assumed it was because the show was airing in the 90's, when the Wars had supposedly taken place.
Kinda-sorta. The admiral at the end said Khan's day had been 300 years ago (i.e. the mid 21st century), but Ron Moore later admitted that he had just lifted that figure from TWOK and forgot to account for the time that had passed since then.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2008, 11:32 AM   #9
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

There is also Federation and Strangers from the Sky being overwritten by Star Trek: First Contact.
Old November 23 2008, 02:58 PM   #10
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

William Leisner wrote: View Post
Kinda-sorta. The admiral at the end said Khan's day had been 300 years ago (i.e. the mid 21st century), but Ron Moore later admitted that he had just lifted that figure from TWOK and forgot to account for the time that had passed since then.
Actually, the figure given in both The Wrath of Khan and "Doctor Bashir, I Presume" was two hundred years ago. Which really doesn't make sense...
Old November 23 2008, 03:16 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

Julio Angel Ortiz wrote: View Post
As stated, it wasn't a deliberate alteration, just an error. My personal fix is that the admiral who said the wars were 200 years before was confusing the Eugenics Wars with the Augment Crisis from Enterprise's fourth season. ENT made it pretty clear that the Eugenics Wars had happened generations before; I don't think they explicitly specified the 1990s, but their references required them to be in the early 21st century at latest.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2008, 04:39 PM   #12
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

In the Genesis Wave books nobody seemed to know what Genesis was, but in the Voyager episode The Omega Directive Janeway knew what Genesis was and who built it.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 03:47 AM   #13
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
As stated, it wasn't a deliberate alteration, just an error. My personal fix is that the admiral who said the wars were 200 years before was confusing the Eugenics Wars with the Augment Crisis from Enterprise's fourth season. ENT made it pretty clear that the Eugenics Wars had happened generations before; I don't think they explicitly specified the 1990s, but their references required them to be in the early 21st century at latest.
Phlox says that the Augments are examples of 20th-century genetic engineering as I recall. Which only tells us when they were created, but presumably the war couldn't have been too much later.