Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old November 29 2008, 03:50 AM   #16
Sheliak
Commodore

Re: The Next Generation Season 1

Symbiosis
Sheliak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 06:11 AM   #17
Good Will Riker
Admiral

I actually enjoy 25 out of 26 episodes produced for the 1st season, except for the heavy-handed, overly-preachy, PC-male bashing, and 80's she-male episode "Angel One."

As for the look and feel of the 1st season, it appears as though it was inspired by the aesthetics of 1970's sci-fi productions, such as:

Logan's Run
TV's "Battlestar Galactica"
TV's "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century"
Good Will Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 02:06 PM   #18
crouteru
Captain

Heh, quite a difference of opinion here. I would describe season one as a mixed bag. I enjoyed episodes such as 'Where No One Has Gone Before' and '11001001', however there were a number of episodes very much stuck in the 60's, like 'Code Of Honor' and 'Justice', which were simply terrible in my opinion. It is a fun season to watch at least once though.
crouteru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29 2008, 02:42 PM   #19
MikeS
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
DGCatAniSiri wrote: View Post
MikeS wrote: View Post

You have me intrigued. Which TOS episode?
Take your pick, it's got some of the staples - There's the Powerful Advanced Alien, who then goes and Captures Our Heroes and pits them against the Aggressor Species, where the loser Will Be Destroyed and the episode ends in a Pithy Speech about the hallmark of advanced species is Mercy On Our Enemies.

Actually, I'm thinking that episode is a complete combination of every cliche of TOS, with the exception of the Whirlwind Romance. Enjoyable, though, even if it's pretty much only remembered for the scene in the briefing room where Data is confounded by the Chinese finger trap.
The one it reminds me the most of is Arena.
Sorry I misunderstood the original poster. I took them to mean that it was a blatant rip of a TOS episode in the same way that The Naked Now was. I can understand it when you say the "vibe" was similar.

Anyway, I think Season 1, aside from a few teething problems, is really strong for the most part. Good character driven stories that set the tone for the rest of TNG's run. You just have to ignore some of the shakey special effects, the synthesiser and a few of the continuity errors (such as Klingons being a member of the UFP ).
Old November 29 2008, 08:39 PM   #20
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

I'm also among the small group that really loved season one.
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2008, 09:19 AM   #21
DevilintheDark
Lieutenant

I like the first season. I actually think several of the episodes are almost remakes of TOS episodes.
DevilintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30 2008, 10:52 PM   #22
snakeeyes
Ensign

Good Will Riker wrote: View Post
I actually enjoy 25 out of 26 episodes produced for the 1st season, except for the heavy-handed, overly-preachy, PC-male bashing, and 80's she-male episode "Angel One."

As for the look and feel of the 1st season, it appears as though it was inspired by the aesthetics of 1970's sci-fi productions, such as:

Logan's Run
TV's "Battlestar Galactica"
TV's "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century"
How is "Angel One" PC-male bashing? I can think of many things to criticise that episode for, but I don't see that one.
snakeeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1 2008, 04:38 AM   #23
Good Will Riker
Admiral

snakeeyes wrote: View Post
How is "Angel One" PC-male bashing? I can think of many things to criticise that episode for, but I don't see that one.
Instead of writing a proper episode that examines what it is like to see a true matriarchal society, the writers masculinized the women and made them act "butch," while they feminized the men and made them act "gayish" complete with perfume and fashion runway costumes.

You can actually have women acting and behaving like women and men acting and behaving like men in a matriarchal society, such as the Phillipines.

I just didn't buy this episode. It went out of its way to make a statement, but kept bashing your over the head with it saying "WE ARE WOMEN...HEAR US ROAR!" while making the men into demure pussies who are all quivering cowards...show some "sass" will you guys? Even when women's suffrage was not in vogue back in Earth's 19th century, women put up more of a fight than that!

Plus, the episode made Riker look weak when he could have used that opportunity in the bedroom to school Beata by teaching her that it is the man who is on top or better yet...this could have been that one single time where a woman 1-upped Riker in the seduction department by dominating him. Unfortunately, he was "blocked" before any of that could actually happen.
Good Will Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2008, 02:58 PM   #24
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I actually think season 1 is very underrated in these parts... currently watching 11001001. The 24th century Star Trek universe still seemed fresh at this point and the episodes I've been watching recently seem to have aged pretty well.

Anyone else have any love for season 1?
Definitely underrated, and people forget, STNG season 1 had double the avg ratings of DS9!

RAMA
Old December 3 2008, 06:41 PM   #25
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Good Will Riker wrote: View Post
snakeeyes wrote: View Post
Instead of writing a proper episode that examines what it is like to see a true matriarchal society, the writers masculinized the women and made them act "butch," while they feminized the men and made them act "gayish" complete with perfume and fashion runway costumes.

You can actually have women acting and behaving like women and men acting and behaving like men in a matriarchal society, such as the Phillipines.
That episode certainly used a 1930s/40s serial or horrible 1950s sci-fi approach to a matriarchal society-- i.e. big, burly Amazon types and sissy males. "Angel One" gave us nothing more than Amazon Woman on Angel One.
Old December 3 2008, 07:00 PM   #26
crouteru
Captain

RAMA wrote: View Post
I actually think season 1 is very underrated in these parts... currently watching 11001001. The 24th century Star Trek universe still seemed fresh at this point and the episodes I've been watching recently seem to have aged pretty well.

Definitely underrated, and people forget, STNG season 1 had double the avg ratings of DS9!

RAMA
Just more evidence that high ratings doesn't necessarily mean high quality.
crouteru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2008, 10:41 PM   #27
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

Dorothy_Zbornak wrote: View Post
I like Season 1 because it's pure 80s Trek, something we didn't really get much of beyond the TOS movies. TNG really was a 90s show in its prime.

Season 1 feels very much like what Phase II would have been had it ever come into being. Stories like "Code of Honour" and "Arsenal of Freedom"--they feel very TOS-inspired.
I agree. Just finished watching CoH again, there's hardly another TNG episode I can think of that feels more like TOS.

"You're the Captain, Sir, you're entitled."
"Hmm, I'm entitled to ramble on about something everyone knows."
““I’m gonna say such a nasty thing about you on Yelp.” Oh really? That’s great because I’m gonna cut your throat and leave your body in the dumpster out back. And no one will convict me because you’re subhuman trash, ‘Mr. Mayor!’”
— Jeff Gerstmann
SPCTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2008, 11:43 PM   #28
RAMA
Vice Admiral

crouteru wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post

RAMA
Just more evidence that high ratings doesn't necessarily mean high quality.
Not necessarily! STNG season one boasted 7 Emmy Nominations, 3 wins, and a "prestigious" Peabody Award. On top of that, STNG's ratings continued to grow throughout the series! All this means is, it was already good and got better!

RAMA
Old December 5 2008, 06:41 AM   #29
trekjiro
Lieutenant

I just watched 'Farpoint' first episode. Very good!
The story was a little cheesy but in a good way. As was mentioned, its an 80's thing and i like the simplicity of it. I didn't know that Picard was so uptight when he started out as Captain. My favorite part was Q and all the escapades with him in the ship and at the mock trial. I liked some of the ship design and noticed even on the DVD interface. Something about that look that i like. I didn't care for the manskirts. I think that was the only negative.
trekjiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2008, 05:48 PM   #30
Captain Zog
Lieutenant Commander

As someone else has already stated, Season 1 was TNG's teething phase. It was still heavily influenced by TOS as it hadn't really carved out its own identity yet. Space seemed vaster and more dangerous, but the sets and SFX were also cruder and a lot of the central concepts of the 24th century Trek universe hadn't been properly formulated yet. It was a fascinating season, but not the best.
Captain Zog is offline   Reply With Quote