Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old November 21 2008, 01:37 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Fan-Produced Film News

While waiting for the release of Star Trek XI, don't forget to check in on the various fan-produced films and projects.

As reported by Star Trek: Phase II, one of the things that can happen in a fan-produced production is that an actor will become unavailable, necessitating a search for a replacement.

When Ben Tolpin, Phase II's Spock couldn't continue with his role, Phase II had to find someone to portray the role of Spock, and their pick had a little Star Trek XI experience. Brandon Stacy will be playing the pointy-eared half-Vulcan. He had been a stand-in for several months for Zachary Quinto on the Star Trek XI set and while there, Stacy met Phase II's James Cawley. "I expressed interest in 'New Voyages/Phase II.' We stayed in touch and I had intended on being a guest star of an episode. Eventually the role Spock opened up, he thought I would be perfect." Stacy will play Spock beginning with the Enemy Starfleet episode of Phase II.

Vulcans aren't the only aliens being cast for Star Trek fan films as reported by Luton Today. Actor Keith Batt, who appeared previously in Star Trek: Of Gods and Men will be returning to the United States from England to appear in New Voyages, where he will again play a Klingon.

"I've been a Trekkie forever," said Batt. "It started when I was a kid. Then it progressed to the convention circuit. Now I'm the UK coordinator. I do personal appearances and I've also taken part in a couple of spin-offs." According to Batt, making a movie "involves hours of boredom, moments of terror and seconds of glory. But his involvement with Star Trek "has been good to me," said Batt. "It's taken me all over the world and cemented some fabulous friendships. You get away with murder in costume - it releases something inside that enables me to walk down the street being outrageous. I'm doing all the things I ever dreamt of doing."

Making fan-films isn't all fun and games though. Things can go disastrously wrong at times. From Star Trek: Lexington's creator Joseph Bonice comes the bad news that "We've suffered a bad hard drive crash, causing a catastrophic ninety-eight percent loss of our live-action footage on 'All in the Appearances'. We've attempted to recover the files but the drive is too badly damaged to recover any footage. To use our backup system and return to our state of post-production pre-crash would require at least four to five months of full-time work by more people than we've got."

To go forward, Star Trek: Lexington will shuffle the order of a few episodes while refilming All in the Appearances. Fool's Paradise the original second episode, will become the first episode and the new pilot. That will be followed by The Mudd Puddle and the third episode will be the redone All in the Appearances.

Star Trek: Lexington also has expanded their technical and writing crews, and has recast most of their roles, including Keith Harris as Captain Alexander McKnight and Sally Morriss as Commander Angelica McKnight. The new pilot, Fool's Paradise, is currently in pre-production. Star Trek: Lexington's website is located here.

To read more, head to the article located here, here.

Old November 22 2008, 10:02 AM   #2
TJinPgh
Captain

Re: Fan-Produced Film News

Well, he certainly looks a bit more the part than Toplin.

Hopefully this Spock won't attack his captain in an emotional rage.
Old November 22 2008, 10:08 PM   #3
USS Intrepid
Commodore

TJinPgh wrote: View Post
Well, he certainly looks a bit more the part than Toplin.

Hopefully this Spock won't attack his captain in an emotional rage.
Tolpin.

And while I'm aware tastes vary, from what I saw, Ben actually did an excellent job.
Old November 24 2008, 01:41 AM   #4
Tulin
Vice Admiral

Is this a THIRD Spock now?

I cannot remember the name of the first Spock(painfully thin man), but I am sure it was not Tolpin. From what I saw in the preview for the new ep(and when is THAT coming out?), he looked too bulky.
Old November 24 2008, 03:41 AM   #5
TJinPgh
Captain

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
Tolpin.

And while I'm aware tastes vary, from what I saw, Ben actually did an excellent job.
My appologies for the typo.

My comment had nothing to do with how he played the part. I haven't had the opportunity to see him in the role of Spock. I was simply referring to physical likeness. I didn't think he bore much resemblence to Nimoy.

It wasn't intended as a slight in the least.

Tulin wrote: View Post
Is this a THIRD Spock now?

I cannot remember the name of the first Spock(painfully thin man), but I am sure it was not Tolpin. From what I saw in the preview for the new ep(and when is THAT coming out?), he looked too bulky.
Jeffrey Quinn was the first.

We're on the 3rd Spock, 2nd Sulu, 2nd Chekov (which is a real shame, I actually thought Bray did a fantastic job), 2nd Uhura. There was a different Scotty in the "pilot," but they've used the same actor in all of the actual episodes.

Like I said, I haven't seen any of the most recent actors play the roles so I can't speak to whether or not they are any good.

Sadly, you run into this when you are dealing with unpaid actors. They tend to move on for paying gigs. Understandable, but no less frustrating.

Sort of plays in with my issues of recasts in general. I think it takes time to develope chemistry. I don't think you can just plug people into slots and have it.

New Voyages/Phase II has had some wonderful story lines and the effort they go to to keep it as authentic as humanly possible is commendable (unlike SOME producers). But, whatever chemistry we may have seen being built between Kirk and Spock may have been lost by the constant cast changes.

Kelley has improved somewhat as McCoy, though. So, his personal chemistry with Cawley seems to be improving.
Old November 24 2008, 05:00 AM   #6
Lightinspire
Lieutenant Commander

I hope Cawley took some acting lessons before appearing in Star Trek XI...He is one of the biggest reasons why I'll not see it. This isn't the right place for my opinion so I'll not express it here. If you spend any time on his forum at all you will see what I mean if you are not banned first for disagreeing.
Old November 24 2008, 07:48 AM   #7
TJinPgh
Captain

Well, my decisions to not go see the movie have nothing to do with Cawley, though I am slighly disapointed that he chose to take part in it.

I doubt his role is big enough to have any real thought on it one way or the other.

Having said that, the show is his project so you can't exactly tell him he can't be a part of it. But, all things considered, his acting isn't as bad as some of the Trek fan stuff I've seen. I thought he did a decent job in World Enough and Time.

Perhaps once the scripts start centering more on the 3 main cast members instead of guest stars he will be able to settle into the role a bit better.
Old November 24 2008, 07:32 PM   #8
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Sadly, you run into this when you are dealing with unpaid actors. They tend to move on for paying gigs. Understandable, but no less frustrating.
One of the downsides to working with the TOS characters, I suppose. When Hidden Frontier underwent cast rotations they could just bring in an entirely new character; and they usually did just that, with a few notable exceptions.
Old November 24 2008, 08:39 PM   #9
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Tolpin.

My appologies for the typo.

My comment had nothing to do with how he played the part. I haven't had the opportunity to see him in the role of Spock. I was simply referring to physical likeness. I didn't think he bore much resemblence to Nimoy.

It wasn't intended as a slight in the least.
Darn, I really should have used a smilie there. Apologies if that came off as snarky, it most certainly wasn't meant to be.

As far as physical resemblence to Nimoy, Ben in makeup looks way more like him than Jeff did. IMHO of course.

Last edited by USS Intrepid; November 24 2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old November 25 2008, 06:57 AM   #10
TJinPgh
Captain

Lindley wrote: View Post
One of the downsides to working with the TOS characters, I suppose. When Hidden Frontier underwent cast rotations they could just bring in an entirely new character; and they usually did just that, with a few notable exceptions.
True enough. Given the amount of positive press that New Voyages has received, I, personally, would rather Paramount had decided to help fund the project and maybe get some of these actors pinned down for a couple of years and gone an entirely different direction for the movie. But, that's just me.

Darn, I really should have used a smilie there. Apologies if that came off as snarky, it most certainly wasn't meant to be.

As far as physical resemblence to Nimoy, Ben in makeup looks way more like him than Jeff did. IMHO of course.
I didn't take it as snarky. I just took it that you thought I was criticizing his performance, which, I wasn't.

I don't think either Tolpin or Quinn bore any great resemblence to Nimoy. I don't say that in a bad way. This is a fan produced show. I don't really expect them to spend a great deal of time or resources locating identical twins for the original cast members.

I think John Kelley does have a slight resemblence to DeForest Kelley (I'm assuming there's no relation there) and thought Andy Bray looked a little like Koenig.

I think Stacy looks more like Spock than either of the two previous actors, but I know nothing of his acting ability.

At any rate, like I said, it wasn't a slight on Tolpin, just a comment on Stacy's appearance.
Old November 25 2008, 10:49 AM   #11
USS Intrepid
Commodore

I didn't take it as snarky. I just took it that you thought I was criticizing his performance, which, I wasn't.

I don't think either Tolpin or Quinn bore any great resemblence to Nimoy. I don't say that in a bad way. This is a fan produced show. I don't really expect them to spend a great deal of time or resources locating identical twins for the original cast members.

I think John Kelley does have a slight resemblence to DeForest Kelley (I'm assuming there's no relation there) and thought Andy Bray looked a little like Koenig.

I think Stacy looks more like Spock than either of the two previous actors, but I know nothing of his acting ability.

At any rate, like I said, it wasn't a slight on Tolpin, just a comment on Stacy's appearance.
Yeah, that's a fair comment.