TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Closed Thread

Old November 24 2008, 02:54 PM   #46
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Re: Kes on Acid

Boy Wonder wrote: View Post
Lynx wrote: View Post
As a longtime fan of the character Kes, I remember when this nasty rumor started to raise its ugly head on the net. I have done some investigation in it during the years and what I know, there is no truth at all in the rumor.

The "drug rumor" actually started about another actor long before Lien was kicked out from Voyager (that rumor has never been confirmed either). When Lien was fired, the rumor "spilled over" to her.

Jennifer Lien is a very shy person and also acts a little "spacey" at conventions and such. This, plus the fact that she was fired from the show obviously lead t the rumor spilling over to her.

As for people who have been falsely accused for doing drugs, many people believed that Frank Zappa was an LSD addict. Zappa never touched drugs and were known to be very anti-drugs.

The same for the 80:s punk rock singer Nina Hagen who also acted a bit "spacey" in public. She was also accused for being a drug addict but never touched anything stronger than orange juice.

Jennifer Lien was not fired for doing drugs. Jennifer Lien was fired because the producers and writers wanted to add a Borg character or a "sexy babe" to the show. When they did come up with a character which was both Borg and "sexy", they were too greedy to add that character while still keeping all the original characters. One had to go.

The first choice was obviously Garret Wang (Harry Kim). But when a silly poll among the staff of a magazine showed him as "one of the 50 most handsome", those in charge of the show changed their minds and dumped Jennifer Lien (Kes) instead.

Jennifer Lien was very sad and depressed when she was told that she had to leave. The other cast members didn't like it either.
That's interesting. I know it's only a rumour, but who was the other actor apparently on drugs?
Frankly, I just wanna know why it's wrong to assume Jen Lien was doing drugs but it's justified to accuse another actor of the same thing?
Old November 24 2008, 03:00 PM   #47
R˙cher
Fleet Captain

NNDB.com has no risk factors for her and they're usually pretty good about digging up dirt on people.
Old November 24 2008, 05:24 PM   #48
kimc
Coffee Mod

freak wrote: View Post
I really liked her character and thought she did an exceptionally good job in the ep "the Gift".
I was "so so" about her character until "Warloard". While it was obvious the writers were searching for a new direction for the character I was blown away by Lien's performance. After that episode Kes became more interesting which is why it was such a shock to see her leave the show.

Old November 24 2008, 06:07 PM   #49
freak
Commodore

I agree with you, Kimc. I did enjoy Kes' character but not as much as the rest of them until the episode "Warlord". For me, that was a different episode and Jen Lien played a good bad guy. I always thought that Kes was a lot like myself-meek, quiet, but with a serene feel to her. She reminded me of myself at times which is kinda weird. But I have the sense of humor that the Doc has.
Old November 24 2008, 06:52 PM   #50
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Warlord was terrific; a foreshadow of power to come. They were trying it on the character, so viewers could become accustomed. As Kirk demonstrated in The Enemy Within, power comes from the dark side.
Old November 24 2008, 07:29 PM   #51
Lynx
Rear Admiral

"Warlord" is a great episode. Not only because of a Kes who is very different and out of order but also because it did show Kes's willpower. Even when her mind and body was controlled by the entity Tieran, she still did fight him and she succeded to defeat him-with a little help from her friends!

Jennifer Lien's acting is excellent and shows what a talented actress she was at that time (and hopefully still is).

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at:http://www.lynx677.tk/
Old November 25 2008, 06:27 AM   #52
EEE
Captain

As for "Fury", that episode was horrible. Downright insulting to the character and her fans.
I was "okay" with it after the whole departure debacle... my wife felt (very strongly) the same as you. Where I got upset is when they wrote her out... Suddenly Neelix's character did a 180 from "I'll follow you anywhere" to "oh, okay, bye, good luck."
Old November 25 2008, 07:17 AM   #53
spoonunseptium
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to spoonunseptium

exodus wrote: View Post
There have been many rumors on why Lien was let go, unfortunately nobody knows for sure what the exact reason is. Everybody just has a theory.

It was the hair, man. It was the hair.

Louis XIV, anyone?
Old November 25 2008, 04:12 PM   #54
exodus
Fleet Admiral

spoonunseptium wrote: View Post
exodus wrote: View Post
There have been many rumors on why Lien was let go, unfortunately nobody knows for sure what the exact reason is. Everybody just has a theory.

It was the hair, man. It was the hair.

Louis XIV, anyone?
Old November 26 2008, 05:33 AM   #55
freak
Commodore

LOL! Actually, I loved this hair style on her.
Old November 26 2008, 08:26 AM   #56
Lynx
Rear Admiral

I preferred the shorter hairstyle. She looks great in long hair too but the shorter hairstyle was more personal in a way, more a trademark for Kes.

In the longer hairstyle, she looks like an ordinary crewmember.

Old November 26 2008, 09:56 AM   #57
RoJoHen
Awesome

The only thing I didn't like about the longer hair was that it came out of frickin' nowhere!

Otherwise, it was totally hot.
Old November 26 2008, 09:20 PM   #58
Lynx
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
The only thing I didn't like about the longer hair was that it came out of frickin' nowhere!

There was a reason for that.

Jennifer Lien had an allergic reaction to the glue which was used to fit the Ocampa ears on her head. So they came up with the idea of letting Kes have long hair, then she could hide the ears behind her hair and not have to wear the Ocampa ears.

In "Worst Case Scenario", Kes is short-haired again (or more correctly, the hologram of Kes has short hair) but if you look closely, she's not wearing the Ocampa ears.

Old November 27 2008, 06:25 AM   #59
freak
Commodore

Hmm..I might have to re-watch that ep. Just to look at her hair and ears.
Old November 27 2008, 08:09 AM   #60
RoJoHen
Awesome

RoJoHen wrote: View Post

There was a reason for that.

Jennifer Lien had an allergic reaction to the glue which was used to fit the Ocampa ears on her head. So they came up with the idea of letting Kes have long hair, then she could hide the ears behind her hair and not have to wear the Ocampa ears.

In "Worst Case Scenario", Kes is short-haired again (or more correctly, the hologram of Kes has short hair) but if you look closely, she's not wearing the Ocampa ears.
It always strikes me as odd when actors have sudden allergic reactions to their make-up.