Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 21 2008, 03:51 AM   #76
EJD1984
Commander

Re: So Cadet to Captain in what... a week?!

Everyone here seems to be missing the point of what has been established for Kirk's history - that should fit with in the frame work of the movie.

" At Starfleet Academy, Kirk became the first person to beat the Kobayashi Maru simulation by rewriting the program to make it possible to survive the "no-win" scenario. He received a field commission as an ensign and posted to the USS Republic, then was promoted to lieutenant junior grade and returned to Starfleet Academy as a student instructor. Gary Mitchell (Gary Lockwood), then one of Kirk's students, remarks in "Where No Man Has Gone Before" that one could either "think or sink" in Kirk's course. Upon graduation in the top five percent of his class, Kirk was promoted to lieutenant and served aboard the USS Farragut. Having risen rapidly through the ranks after leaving the Academy, Kirk received his first command while still quite young.

At the age of 31, Kirk received command of the USS Enterprise…………"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_T_Kirk)

Kirk is most likely an instructor (black shirt) at the academy when the major event happens (caused by Nero), and Starfleet presses everyone into service, including cadets and instructors (Kirk).

That's when/how Kirks gets McCoy to "sneak" him onto Pikes ship - The Enterprise.

*Though the writers may have bumped down his age a bit from 31 to 28.

PS - I believe that when we see Kirk driving up to see the Enterprise, it's just after the bar fight in San Francisco (look at his banged up face), and just after that he enrolls to Starfleet. That then gives Pike four (or eight) years to command the Enterprise until Kirk is finally captain.

Last edited by EJD1984; November 21 2008 at 01:31 PM.
EJD1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 03:59 AM   #77
DontFeedPhil
Fleet Captain

Yeah, this whole "how long does it take Kirk to become captain and under what circumstance is my "Only" concern with the movie". And Im pretty confident that it will be told in a believable way...
DontFeedPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 04:27 AM   #78
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Gotta wonder how much time passes between these pics:

McCoy has gone from awestruck noob to wild-eyed, grizzled veteran.

Whats his line about space?

“Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence.”
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 04:30 AM   #79
JuanBolio
Admiral

datas_cat_spot wrote: View Post
I put this compilation together based on how I interpret the progression of events.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6...rkfaceshi2.jpg

I only includes shots where you could actually see his face. Obviously there are moments in the trailer where you see him but not clearly.
Scotty doesn't come on board until after the drop onto Vulcan. The 4th and 5th images at least should be switched.

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.

Last edited by M'Sharak; November 21 2008 at 06:35 PM. Reason: image to link for stretchy
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 04:35 AM   #80
RoJoHen
Awesome

JuanBolio wrote: View Post
I put this compilation together based on how I interpret the progression of events.

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6...rkfaceshi2.jpg

I only includes shots where you could actually see his face. Obviously there are moments in the trailer where you see him but not clearly.
Scotty doesn't come on board until after the drop onto Vulcan. The 4th and 5th images at least should be switched.
How unnecessarily picky.

Last edited by M'Sharak; November 21 2008 at 06:35 PM. Reason: image to link to reduce stretchy
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 05:39 AM   #81
Captain X
Rear Admiral

Qonos wrote: View Post
Never pointed to you.. We is just debating. You don't strike me as a fundie, just a bit misguided in what's making trek stale
Fundies never say trek has become Cliched. They just say it was never trek to begin with.
Does that mean you don't want to fuck me? I totally had the lube all ready and everything.

In all seriousness though, I think name-calling like that should be avoided. I know the kind of fan you're talking about, but people like that are better left ignored.

Unless they make a complete fool of themselves, in which case let there be lulz.
Captain X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 05:46 AM   #82
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

Captain X wrote: View Post
Because he's on iBridge and no attempt has been made to make him look any older than he was when he comes aboard the ship as a cadet.
He doesn't go to the academy until his late 20s in the altered timeline.
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 05:53 AM   #83
Captain X
Rear Admiral

And you still don't go right from cadet to captain - it's not a popularity contest.
Captain X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 11:58 AM   #84
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

It's looking more and more like a movie that will aggravate the hell out of people like me who happen to think that basic canon should be respected. There is No. Damn. Way. that Kirk and Chekov should be attending the Academy at the same time -- Kirk is 12-13 years OLDER than Chekov. Kirk states in "The Deadly Years" that he is 34 years old. Chekov states in "Who Mourns For Adonais?" that he is 22 years old. McCoy is at least 5-7 years older than Kirk, based on both the RL age differences between Shatner and Kelley, plus the fact that in "The Way To Eden" one of the space hippies was originally supposed to be McCoy's adult daughter, Joanna.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 12:32 PM   #85
Timo
Admiral

It seems simple enough for Kirk to attend the Academy at the same time with any single one of the other characters - he simply has to enroll at a higher or younger age than this other character.

Problems only arise if he's supposed to be in the Academy simultaneously with multiple characters. Say, Chekov, Uhura and Sulu could all be there in the same time, although the first one would probably not be in the same class with the other two - but McCoy in that case shouldn't be in the same bunch. However, note that none of the spoilers show any other identifiable cadets besides Cadet McCoy sharing screentime with cadet Kirk, in terms of those red uniforms anyway.

The way the spoilers so far play it out, it would seem that Uhura and Sulu are in the Academy and in the process of graduating when Kirk first meets them in that bar brawl. Then we hop forward in time, and Kirk enlists along with McCoy, and these two graduate more or less apace, both having enlisted as old geezers (Kirk because he was late to realize this was his destiny, McCoy perhaps because he studied medicine first). Possibly Chekov is a classmate.

Further time jumps then take place. McCoy, a medical academician, graduates at a higher rank than Sulu, Uhura or Chekov, and thus quickly reaches the demonstrated LtCmdr rank.

So in the end, how Kirk catches up is the sole big mystery. Whether that's a showstopper will depend on the exact details of the story. Getting past Sulu or Uhura by three ranks' worth is quite a feat...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 04:24 PM   #86
EJD1984
Commander

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Gotta wonder how much time passes between these pics:

McCoy has gone from awestruck noob to wild-eyed, grizzled veteran.

Whats his line about space?

“Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence.”
I would think that if my theory holds up, there is most likely the an 4 (or 8) year gap.
EJD1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 10:38 PM   #87
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Another thing that indicates a rather wide gap is that in one of the bridge shots, Scotty is in uniform.

The impression I get from the spoilers is that when we first meet Scotty, he has been kicked out of Starfleet for that stunt with the transporter (and what the fuck is going on, the transporter is just NOW being invented? ).

Oh well. As long as there *is* a gap - preferably of many years - between Cadet Kirk and Captain Kirk, I suppose I can deal with it. No way does any Cadet ever get instantly promoted to the rank of Captain. (Even the cadets in "Valiant" were still cadets, just with self-made 'field' ranks.)
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2008, 12:59 AM   #88
BenRoethig
Fleet Captain

Captain X wrote: View Post
And you still don't go right from cadet to captain - it's not a popularity contest.
No you don't. What's why I'm leaning towards the thought that the scene with Kirk in uniform is not from the alternate timline that most of the movie takes place in, but in a restored TOS timeline. The one where Kirk went to the acadamy in 2350 and served abord the Republic and Farragut. Notice that all the cuts on his face are gone without a trace. They also seemed to choose a cut of that scene that doesn't show too much.
BenRoethig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2008, 01:17 AM   #89
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Another thing that indicates a rather wide gap is that in one of the bridge shots, Scotty is in uniform.

The impression I get from the spoilers is that when we first meet Scotty, he has been kicked out of Starfleet for that stunt with the transporter (and what the fuck is going on, the transporter is just NOW being invented? ).

Oh well. As long as there *is* a gap - preferably of many years - between Cadet Kirk and Captain Kirk, I suppose I can deal with it. No way does any Cadet ever get instantly promoted to the rank of Captain. (Even the cadets in "Valiant" were still cadets, just with self-made 'field' ranks.)
IIRC, Scotty was experimenting with a new formula that expands the way a transporter can be used when he gets transferred to "Hoth".
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2008, 03:32 AM   #90
Procutus
Admiral

T J wrote: View Post
Making Captain in a week after graduating? Is that what you're asking?
It sounds silly I know but if this movie spans the time of a week or 2 that would be nuts. Seven promotions in a couple weeks time, that's fast.

I've had a problem with this as well, and you've enunciated my concerns nicely. According to the ST Chronology (by the Okudas), there was a nine year span between Kirk graduating and becoming captain.

Somehow, I'm not expecting this to happen in this movie.