TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 17 2008, 09:17 AM   #1
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!
Not only is Family Guy terrible but it's extremely offensive...

Ever since Family Guy returned to network television, it has been pretty poor. I don't actually think there has been an actual quality episode since it's been back. Maybe the Star Wars one but even that was mediocre because of the ending. It's not only the flashbacks, the stories have been absolutely terrible and some parts have been extremely offensive. Not a good offensive like South Park, but actually pretty offensive. I'm not easily disgusted, but I do find it very bad taste to make fun of rape victims or sexual assault but they've done this a bunch of times, and I find it just -- horrible.

Anyone else?
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 09:21 AM   #2
Aragorn
Admiral

Re: Not only is Family Guy terrible but it's extremely offensive...

Family Guy has no plot, and the majority of pop culture references appear out of nowhere and has no direct ties to the story, though some are funny.

But the jab at Elizabeth Smart during its first run was just poor and demented. It's right there along with the South Park episode where Mr. Garrison felt he wasn't loved because his uncle or father didn't molest him as a kid.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 09:23 AM   #3
Siwilliams
Fleet Captain

Only watch The Simpsons and Futurama if it ever comes back
Siwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 09:24 AM   #4
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Family Guy has no plot, and the majority of pop culture references appear out of nowhere and has no direct ties to the story, though some are funny.

But the jab at Elizabeth Smart during its first run was just poor and demented. It's right there along with the South Park episode where Mr. Garrison felt he wasn't loved because his uncle or father didn't molest him as a kid.
I like South Park's offensiveness because it actually MAKES SENSE but Family Guy, is simply to poke fun of it and to be 'edgy'.
Old November 17 2008, 09:57 AM   #5
Tulin
Vice Admiral

I have been watching FG this new season beause my partner absolutely loves it and I have to say, I have NO idea why people like this show. It is offensive just to try and be hip and edgy, it is just plain annoying and obnoxious at times. Worse than that, it is just not very funny and most stories are just not very good.

Like the OP, I find 99% of SP easily digestable and can watch almost anything the unwashed masses find in bad taste.

FG is just a bad show.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 10:19 AM   #6
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Exactly, Tulin. The flashback's make absolutely no sense, and poking fun just to poke fun is dumb. A lot of people complain about the bastardization of Homer but to me, Peter is even worse.
Old November 17 2008, 10:20 AM   #7
JNG
Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command

They do need to ease up on the rape and pedophilia jokes. Jokes ABOUT these topics are one thing, if controversial enough, but on Family Guy, the rape or pedophilia or whatever IS the joke. The writing just kind of stops there.
JNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 10:23 AM   #8
jongredic
Fleet Captain

It's nice to see people share a similar opinion as me. During the first three seasons, it's "cheeky" humour and offbeat pop culture references seemed to have some intelligence behind them and were actually quite funny.

Since the film, when they suddenly discovered a certain word beginning with F, the cutaways are just thrown in at random, like that time I rubbed Jay Leno with a pound of lard while singing I Kissed A Girl.

Oh... my mistake, I thought we were gonna have a clip there.

Yeah, but it's gone from being a little bit on the wild side and intelligent, to just plain offensive for laughs. Or episode plots are just straight parodies of films, usually with very little humour (Petergeist comes to mind). I gave up somewhere at the start of the fifth season and haven't really gone back - not even to the early seasons.

Unfortunately, I was really enjoying American Dad until they did an episode which pretty much summed up what's wrong with Family Guy. The Saudi two-parter came close, but the one that finished me off was the episode where Francine befriends George Clooney to take revenge on him and the B plot sees Hayley battling cancer - apparently that's funny... I must've lost my sense of humour.

The region 2 DVDs of both series have uncensored coarse swearing, with no warning - it's even got a 12 certificate in one instance. Usually use of the F word gives it an instant 15 certificate. Apparently the Region 1 DVDs allow you to sensor the language, but we're not given that privilege for some reason. I usually wouldn't mind, but I found out it was different to the broadcast version when watching it with my family, cos I told them it was "funny" (oops! )

I'm just another disillusioned ex-believer in the McFarlane, so it's good to know I'm not alone

Last edited by jongredic; November 17 2008 at 04:31 PM.
jongredic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 01:17 PM   #9
Jax
Admiral

Its not what it used to be but I watch it every week, I watch South Park so this cannot offend me
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 01:30 PM   #10
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

I'll agree that it's not been at it's peak this season, but every show has phases of that. I think with the election, they sort of felt off-balance, both before and after. I think the last episodes of the season, when things have settled, might see some return of quality.

That said, it's still a great show. It can actually make me laugh, which is not an easy thing to accomplish. I can't explain why I enjoy it, other than the fact that it isn't formulaic. It's not a sitcom. It does take risks, even if they don't pay off.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 03:52 PM   #11
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

Someone in the Lost forum the other day posted a link to a parody Family Guy did of Lost. It was aggressively unfunny. It was a nice, quick reminder of why I haven't watched Family Guy in years.

South Park rules.
Old November 17 2008, 05:47 PM   #12
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I still watch Family Guy every week, but since the last season I've been losing interest really quick. I have no problem with offensive jokes and suchlike, but these days it really is nothing other than:

Jew jokes
Gay jokes
Meg is ugly
Star Wars ref.
Happy Days ref.
References that absolutely no one outside the US or anyone who doesn't watch practically every TV show ever made will ever understand

And so on.

The last truly great Family Guy was the film.
Old November 17 2008, 06:22 PM   #13
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

I'd say that FG was more consistent in its earlier seasons, but I still find the more recent (post-uncancellation) episodes funny, too. The current season hasn't been all that great thusfar, but there are still a lot of great moments and episodes from the last couple of years.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 09:28 PM   #14
Small White Car
Rear Admiral

View Small White Car's Twitter Profile

I love how people say that FG is pointless, plotless, unfunny and inane...but they liked the first 3 years!

What??

The show hasn't changed one bit. You've just gotten bored with it.

Or have you forgotten such early-season gems as 'insane Margo Kidder' or 'Peter Falls on the sidewalk and says "ow" for 45 seconds?' I must be missing the brilliance behind that one that you all seem to be remembering.

The show has always been about inane "un-funny" as being the joke. It's fine to not like it, but I'm amused that everyoe USED to like it, but somehow doesn't any more.
Small White Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 09:46 PM   #15
Seven of Five
Commodore

I still love Family Guy. It makes me laugh, what more can I ask for? It's no South Park though, and it's certainly not as keen as Simpsons was back in the day.