Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 19 2008, 06:20 PM   #1
Chris227
Lieutenant Commander

Bond: Favorite Bill Tanner?

With a lot of focus on Bond, Q, M, Moneypenny and Felix Leiter, the character of Tanner (MI6 Chief of Staff) is often forgotten. However now five actors have played the character, and he also has a role in the books.

Any favorites among the "Four Tanners"?

The first one was Michael Goodliffe, who appeared briefly in The Man With The Golden Gun.

The second Tanner, James Villiers, stands in for the recently deceased Bernard Lee's M in "For Your Eyes Only".

In "Goldeneye" and "The World Is Not Enough" Tanner is played by Michael Kitchen. Like Bond, he appears skeptical of the New M played by Judi Dench.

Finally, a new Tanner, Rory Kinnear appears alongside Judi Dench's "New" M.

Oops, messed up the poll....sorry...
Chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2008, 07:46 PM   #2
Admiral Bear
Captain

Re: Bond: Favorite Bill Tanner?

Kitchen for me, but then he was the only actor playing the role to get any decent screen time.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2008, 08:43 PM   #3
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I liked Goodliffe. He sort of had an English nobility thing going for him which is how I always pictured Tanner as in my mind's eye.

It's interesting because at first I thought the guy in CR was supposed to be Tanner--I forget his name (Villers, or something.), because ht actor sort of looked like Goodliffe.
Old November 19 2008, 09:31 PM   #4
ClayinCA
Commodore

Chris227 wrote: View Post
The first one was Michael Goodliffe, who appeared briefly in The Man With The Golden Gun.
Wow, I don't remember this at all...where was he? I must be getting old...
ClayinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2008, 09:41 PM   #5
John Clark
Commodore

Not the first one I'd seen, but for me it's Michael Kitchen

(Mind, I also enjoyed his work in Foyle so...)
Old November 19 2008, 10:08 PM   #6
Harvey
Admiral

Michael Kitchen, easily. Although give the new guy time to...well, actually have screen time.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2008, 01:32 AM   #7
Canadave
Vice Admiral

View Canadave's Twitter Profile

Kitchen, definitely.
Old November 20 2008, 04:48 AM   #8
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Tanner's supposed to be an ex-sapper who had a mine explode in his face, so I'm thinking Daniel Craig would be the ideal Tanner for Owen's Bond.

So far, none of the film Tanners are anything but exposition, so I consider them equally irrelevant.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2008, 07:55 AM   #9
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

ClayinCA wrote: View Post
According to the Wikipedia article, he's in M's office at the beginning of the film, when they show Bond the letter and the gold bullet with "007" engraved on it. He's never identified by name in the scene.

Come to think of it, I don't think he's identified by name in For Your Eyes Only either; Frederick Gray (the Minister of Defence) and Tanner are in M's office (standing in for the deceased Bernard Lee), but Bond only greets them as "Minister... Chief of Staff." It's not until GoldenEye that we see Bond and Tanner as friends (though I can't remember if that was established in Fleming, or not until the Gardner novels when Tanner became a regular supporting character).

In response to the OP, my favorite Tanner would have to be Michael Kitchen, since he's the only one so far to even have a semblance of a character.
"They quickly settled on the slender island at the head of the bay, which they called 'Mannahatta', after an old Indian word thought by some to mean 'island of hills', and by others 'place of general inebriation'."
—New York: A Documentary Film
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2008, 12:08 PM   #10
diankra
Commodore

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
ClayinCA wrote: View Post
According to the Wikipedia article, he's in M's office at the beginning of the film, when they show Bond the letter and the gold bullet with "007" engraved on it. He's never identified by name in the scene.

Come to think of it, I don't think he's identified by name in For Your Eyes Only either; Frederick Gray (the Minister of Defence) and Tanner are in M's office (standing in for the deceased Bernard Lee), but Bond only greets them as "Minister... Chief of Staff." It's not until GoldenEye that we see Bond and Tanner as friends (though I can't remember if that was established in Fleming, or not until the Gardner novels when Tanner became a regular supporting character).
If I recall right, in Fleming's books Tanner tends to be the chap who's worried how Bond's coping following some recent trauma, but urges M to give him a chance to 'get back on the horse' with one more mission when M's doubtful.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2008, 01:43 PM   #11
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Fleming's books very clearly have Tanner as Bond's best friend, but they don't really do anything together in the books until Kingsley Amis wrote COL SUN.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote