Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old July 8 2010, 07:02 AM   #1456
Angelsilhouette
Lieutenant

Re: Star Trek: Online

Noname Given wrote: View Post

1) Cryptic is (to date) te most commuicative MMO developer in that they actually talk to (and not at) the STO playerbase, and of late base the malority of new content and mew or refined STO game mechanics on player feedback.
Disagree. NCsoft Norcal (CoH's devs that stayed when Jack Emmert broke away with the Cryptic name to make Marvel Universe Online) have been far more communicative, social and helpful.

GM tickets in STO can take days to get a form response and some I've submitted have yet to be resolved and I have never been updated with their progress. One in particular had been submitted by multiple people, but the dev Dscotty said he'd never seen any of the reports when Peregrine asked him about it and encouraged him/her to create a forum thread about it in the bug forum.

On the other side, back at NC Norcal, I submitted a bug ticket (Not GM request) that the shield patterns were not working and they replied that day with a thank you for letting them know of the issue and an assurance they would be working on it, replied again that the issue was more complex than anticipated and that it may take a bit, replied once again that it was being escalated up the chain, then replied again to say that the reason for the bug was found and that the fix would be coming in a patch within a week or two.
Old July 8 2010, 10:06 AM   #1457
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Angelsilhouette wrote: View Post
Noname Given wrote: View Post

1) Cryptic is (to date) te most commuicative MMO developer in that they actually talk to (and not at) the STO playerbase, and of late base the malority of new content and mew or refined STO game mechanics on player feedback.
Disagree. NCsoft Norcal (CoH's devs that stayed when Jack Emmert broke away with the Cryptic name to make Marvel Universe Online) have been far more communicative, social and helpful.

GM tickets in STO can take days to get a form response and some I've submitted have yet to be resolved and I have never been updated with their progress. One in particular had been submitted by multiple people, but the dev Dscotty said he'd never seen any of the reports when Peregrine asked him about it and encouraged him/her to create a forum thread about it in the bug forum.

On the other side, back at NC Norcal, I submitted a bug ticket (Not GM request) that the shield patterns were not working and they replied that day with a thank you for letting them know of the issue and an assurance they would be working on it, replied again that the issue was more complex than anticipated and that it may take a bit, replied once again that it was being escalated up the chain, then replied again to say that the reason for the bug was found and that the fix would be coming in a patch within a week or two.
Huh, the STO Devs have stated up front they don't respond to Bug Tickets personally; and as for GM tickets, haven't had to submit one since STO closed beta, so I couldn't say; (but yes, I've heard that some GM tickets have taken a while to be responded to), but if you look at the Dev Tracker on the official CoH forums as compared to the Dev tracker on Star Trek Online Forums; I think you'll notice that:

a) The STO Dev team posts more often.

and

b) The STO dev team posts more about what's upcoming in the game development cycle.

Both teams do a lot of 'spam' posts promoting stuff. But as a closed beta tester for CoH (back in December 2003); the level of Dev to Player communication on the STO forums is now (and was during closed beta) way move active then in either the CoH closed beta, or at six months post launch for CoH.
Old July 8 2010, 10:16 PM   #1458
OrionField
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to OrionField

thanks guys you've been really helpful, I think I'm going to go for it
Old July 9 2010, 02:24 AM   #1459
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

OrionField wrote: View Post
thanks guys you've been really helpful, I think I'm going to go for it
Well if you haven't got one already just PM me with your e-mail address and I can get you one of those buddy keys.
Old July 9 2010, 11:05 PM   #1460
Mjuice
Lieutenant Commander

Hi guys, I was thinking of playing STO, but I have one question:

From reading about it during it's development I got the impression that STO is set in the same continuity as all the post-nemesis novels. I'm currently slowly catching up with the novels but I'm still somewhere in 2006. So will playing the game spoil the novels like Destiny etc? Apologies if this has been discussed already but I'm wary of reading STO threads for fear of the same spoilers
Old July 9 2010, 11:14 PM   #1461
Kaziarl
Commodore

Mjuice wrote: View Post

From reading about it during it's development I got the impression that STO is set in the same continuity as all the post-nemesis novels. I'm currently slowly catching up with the novels but I'm still somewhere in 2006. So will playing the game spoil the novels like Destiny etc? Apologies if this has been discussed already but I'm wary of reading STO threads for fear of the same spoilers
Not that I've noticed. It seems to mostly sticking to the shows and movies, so you should be ok. Although if they are not following the novels, expect there to be contradictions.
Old July 10 2010, 01:50 AM   #1462
Jax
Admiral

I pop into this thread now and again to see hoe the game is doing and I so want to play it again but after the beta it was just all combat all the time not too mention ground missions are clunky.

Cryptic I sooo want to like this game
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Old July 10 2010, 04:10 AM   #1463
syberghost
Commander

View syberghost's Twitter Profile

Jax wrote: View Post
I pop into this thread now and again to see hoe the game is doing and I so want to play it again but after the beta it was just all combat all the time not too mention ground missions are clunky.

Cryptic I sooo want to like this game
Pay attention to Season 2, which should be up on the test server now. They've added a Diplomatic mission system with a separate advancement track, and minigames.
Old July 10 2010, 06:22 AM   #1464
nx1701g
Admiral

Mjuice wrote: View Post

The game and novels diverge. The events of Destiny do not happen in STO.
Old July 10 2010, 06:28 AM   #1465
syberghost
Commander

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Or rather, according to "The Needs of the Many" (STO Novel), they may have happened but been reversed by time travel, so some portion of them may still be true. But for purposes of the current ingame events and timeline, you're absolutely correct, Destiny didn't happen and isn't likely to.
Old July 10 2010, 06:35 AM   #1466
syberghost
Commander

New "Ask Cryptic" is up, it's about Season 2. Galaxy class with separation! Defiant with Cloak! Intrepid with Ablative Armor!

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/1888
Old July 11 2010, 12:01 AM   #1467
Mjuice
Lieutenant Commander

syberghost wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post
Or rather, according to "The Needs of the Many" (STO Novel), they may have happened but been reversed by time travel, so some portion of them may still be true. But for purposes of the current ingame events and timeline, you're absolutely correct, Destiny didn't happen and isn't likely to.
Oh OK, I think I'll start playing then

Thanks guys
Old July 11 2010, 12:55 AM   #1468
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

New "Ask Cryptic" is up, it's about Season 2. Galaxy class with separation! Defiant with Cloak! Intrepid with Ablative Armor!

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/1888
Wow season 2 is going to be pretty impressive.
Old July 11 2010, 01:09 AM   #1469
ares93
Commodore

i think the guy said something similar to this: "what i don't understand is how the borg could attack vulcan more than a century after it was destroyed."

so both destiny and the JJverse abomination happened but was somehow averted but the department of temporal investigations. and it was some agent who suffered or claimed to suffer from temporal psychosis. can remember the name though... anyway you are correct. i just thought i'd post the "kind of" quote.
I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
Old July 11 2010, 03:43 AM   #1470
AJHalliwell
Lieutenant Commander

View AJHalliwell's Twitter Profile

First, in regards to the novel continuity: STO does not follow the recent Borg in 2381 plotline. And Dulmer and Luscy from DS9: Trials & Tribbles I believe are the agents in that scene. I really liked the idea that temporal psychosis can explain some of the discontinuities between series, novels and revamp -- rationalizes having a whole department of temporal integrity etc. Got half-way through Needs of the Many before playing the game itself took over my free time.

And secondly: I've had STO for a week or two now, and I'm loving it! The missions haven't run out on me yet (haha...) but I worry one day they might. Hope the writers make more non-combat missions soon, this diplomatic thing sounds intriguing. And honestly, I just want to run around and look at things like the Symbiont Caves of Trill, run the streets of Shi'Khar and explore Deck 8 section 23 of my ship more than actually go on adventures. I'm lame, I know.