RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,357
Posts: 5,503,111
Members: 25,122
Currently online: 487
Newest member: almehtabshaikh

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old May 15 2010, 08:46 AM   #1366
Santa Claus
Believe
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Star Trek: Online

Aeolusdallas wrote: View Post
Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post
That said, it is rather difficult to define STO as an actual MMO. The "Massive" aspect of the game is missing. The vast majority of your time in game, you can only interact with what would be an average multiplayer non-MMO. Games like Battlefield 1942, which is not an MMO, yet in Multiplayer has more people in one area than what you would find on STO. That should not be, as Battlefield 1942 is 8 years old and is still completely free to play online once you purchase the game itself.
I disagree with that. In say WoW, yes the instance has a thousand or so players on at once but no more that 50 to a hundred can actually be at any one place at once. In STO even though you don't get more that 50ish people on a given area at once EVERYONE is technically all on the same server. In practice they are the same. I would even say STO is more massively online than WoW. I have friends scattered all over the WoW servers that I can't play with. I can play with anyone I know in STO as they are all on the same "server". Battlefiled is not even close to a MMORPG. STO is much more so. and again you simply cannot compare something lke Battlefield to WoW or STO. It has nowhere near the same number of updates and expansions. It's a FPS.
When you are instanced to a max of 5 people in DSEs, approximately 20 people in any given instance on a Starbase, then the word "massive" begins to disappear. If you have 10 apartments in one apartment complex, that doesn't mean you have 40 people living together. You have 10 groups of 4. STO is not an MMO in the true sense of the word. It is an online multiplayer, but it's not massive. Not by a long shot.
__________________
---------
"I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe." - Susan Walker
---------
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is online now  
Old May 15 2010, 09:00 AM   #1367
Aeolusdallas
Captain
 
Re: Star Trek: Online

Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post
Aeolusdallas wrote: View Post
Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post
That said, it is rather difficult to define STO as an actual MMO. The "Massive" aspect of the game is missing. The vast majority of your time in game, you can only interact with what would be an average multiplayer non-MMO. Games like Battlefield 1942, which is not an MMO, yet in Multiplayer has more people in one area than what you would find on STO. That should not be, as Battlefield 1942 is 8 years old and is still completely free to play online once you purchase the game itself.
I disagree with that. In say WoW, yes the instance has a thousand or so players on at once but no more that 50 to a hundred can actually be at any one place at once. In STO even though you don't get more that 50ish people on a given area at once EVERYONE is technically all on the same server. In practice they are the same. I would even say STO is more massively online than WoW. I have friends scattered all over the WoW servers that I can't play with. I can play with anyone I know in STO as they are all on the same "server". Battlefiled is not even close to a MMORPG. STO is much more so. and again you simply cannot compare something lke Battlefield to WoW or STO. It has nowhere near the same number of updates and expansions. It's a FPS.
When you are instanced to a max of 5 people in DSEs, approximately 20 people in any given instance on a Starbase, then the word "massive" begins to disappear. If you have 10 apartments in one apartment complex, that doesn't mean you have 40 people living together. You have 10 groups of 4. STO is not an MMO in the true sense of the word. It is an online multiplayer, but it's not massive. Not by a long shot.
Almost always when I am playing there are multiple instances available and the starbases seem to be roughly as crowded as the secondary cities on the average WoW server. Sure Starbase one doesn't feel as crowded as Ogrimmar or IronForge but it feels more crowded than say ThunderBluff. STO's server system is also FAR more convenient than WoW's multiple server approach. Particularly for casuals. You never have to worry about your friends main characters being on different servers. That alone is wonderful. Also there is no reason why STO can't as tech increases allow more people on each instance. Or in the longer term make instance transitions more seemless. WoW actually has load screens but the disguises most of them better that STO does at the moment.
Aeolusdallas is offline  
Old May 15 2010, 09:33 AM   #1368
Santa Claus
Believe
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Star Trek: Online

Aeolusdallas wrote: View Post
Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post
Aeolusdallas wrote: View Post

I disagree with that. In say WoW, yes the instance has a thousand or so players on at once but no more that 50 to a hundred can actually be at any one place at once. In STO even though you don't get more that 50ish people on a given area at once EVERYONE is technically all on the same server. In practice they are the same. I would even say STO is more massively online than WoW. I have friends scattered all over the WoW servers that I can't play with. I can play with anyone I know in STO as they are all on the same "server". Battlefiled is not even close to a MMORPG. STO is much more so. and again you simply cannot compare something lke Battlefield to WoW or STO. It has nowhere near the same number of updates and expansions. It's a FPS.
When you are instanced to a max of 5 people in DSEs, approximately 20 people in any given instance on a Starbase, then the word "massive" begins to disappear. If you have 10 apartments in one apartment complex, that doesn't mean you have 40 people living together. You have 10 groups of 4. STO is not an MMO in the true sense of the word. It is an online multiplayer, but it's not massive. Not by a long shot.
Almost always when I am playing there are multiple instances available and the starbases seem to be roughly as crowded as the secondary cities on the average WoW server. Sure Starbase one doesn't feel as crowded as Ogrimmar or IronForge but it feels more crowded than say ThunderBluff. STO's server system is also FAR more convenient than WoW's multiple server approach. Particularly for casuals. You never have to worry about your friends main characters being on different servers. That alone is wonderful. Also there is no reason why STO can't as tech increases allow more people on each instance. Or in the longer term make instance transitions more seemless. WoW actually has load screens but the disguises most of them better that STO does at the moment.
The starbases only appear crowded because there are a great number of NPCs. I've been on a Starbase where it's crowded, but not a living soul to chat with.
__________________
---------
"I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe." - Susan Walker
---------
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is online now  
Old May 15 2010, 10:38 AM   #1369
Aeolusdallas
Captain
 
Re: Star Trek: Online

Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post
Aeolusdallas wrote: View Post
Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post

When you are instanced to a max of 5 people in DSEs, approximately 20 people in any given instance on a Starbase, then the word "massive" begins to disappear. If you have 10 apartments in one apartment complex, that doesn't mean you have 40 people living together. You have 10 groups of 4. STO is not an MMO in the true sense of the word. It is an online multiplayer, but it's not massive. Not by a long shot.
Almost always when I am playing there are multiple instances available and the starbases seem to be roughly as crowded as the secondary cities on the average WoW server. Sure Starbase one doesn't feel as crowded as Ogrimmar or IronForge but it feels more crowded than say ThunderBluff. STO's server system is also FAR more convenient than WoW's multiple server approach. Particularly for casuals. You never have to worry about your friends main characters being on different servers. That alone is wonderful. Also there is no reason why STO can't as tech increases allow more people on each instance. Or in the longer term make instance transitions more seemless. WoW actually has load screens but the disguises most of them better that STO does at the moment.
The starbases only appear crowded because there are a great number of NPCs. I've been on a Starbase where it's crowded, but not a living soul to chat with.
And I have been to Ogrimmar and been the only person there. STO IS a MMO it's even a MMORPG.
Aeolusdallas is offline  
Old May 15 2010, 04:06 PM   #1370
Excelsior
Lieutenant Commander
 
Excelsior's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Star Trek: Online

Have to disagree about the number of people online - any time I'm in Sector Space, or in a major system, or at Earth Spacedock, DS9, Memory Alpha, etc., they've all been pretty packed. And factoring in that I've played at most times of day (once at 4am when I got in from working late - yikes!), that's saying something.

Granted, in terms of interacting with them, that's a seperate thing, as a lot of them seem to be getting on with their own individual agendas, rather than socialising. Not that I particularly mind, of course - indeed, I tend to ignore a lot of them, considering that some of the uniform designs/character names I've seen are pretty effective at killing my suspension of disbelief...
Excelsior is offline  
Old May 15 2010, 06:58 PM   #1371
jolau
Captain
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
Re: Star Trek: Online

Anyone know where I can get Dual Phaser Pistols? I have the MK2 that I got from a fallen enemy, but want to graduate to MK3s (I have MK3 or 4 for most everything else) or more and can't find them.

I looked at Earth Spacedock, DS9, K-7, Memory Alpha, and Starbase 39 and still can't find them.
__________________
"Your gone and I'm lost inside this tangled web in which I'm lain entwined
Oh Why?"

-Sarah Mclachlan
jolau is offline  
Old May 15 2010, 07:03 PM   #1372
Santa Claus
Believe
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Star Trek: Online

jolau wrote: View Post
Anyone know where I can get Dual Phaser Pistols? I have the MK2 that I got from a fallen enemy, but want to graduate to MK3s (I have MK3 or 4 for most everything else) or more and can't find them.

I looked at Earth Spacedock, DS9, K-7, Memory Alpha, and Starbase 39 and still can't find them.
Did you check the exchange?
__________________
---------
"I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe." - Susan Walker
---------
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is online now  
Old May 15 2010, 07:14 PM   #1373
Noname Given
Vice Admiral
 
Location: None Given
Re: Star Trek: Online

Excelsior wrote: View Post
Have to disagree about the number of people online - any time I'm in Sector Space, or in a major system, or at Earth Spacedock, DS9, Memory Alpha, etc., they've all been pretty packed. And factoring in that I've played at most times of day (once at 4am when I got in from working late - yikes!), that's saying something.

Granted, in terms of interacting with them, that's a seperate thing, as a lot of them seem to be getting on with their own individual agendas, rather than socialising. Not that I particularly mind, of course - indeed, I tend to ignore a lot of them, considering that some of the uniform designs/character names I've seen are pretty effective at killing my suspension of disbelief...
And considering most of the chat in IronForge or Orgrimar is of the "Looking for Tank/Healer foe <insert instance> Heroic"; or "Selling <Uber Item> 950 GP - send tell" or "Crafting XXX for mats only, donations welcome"; or "Cheap gold! www.tainwangoldseller.net has best prices!" (and boy did STO have that until the STO Devs got the the spam logic going), etc.; I don't miss WoW chat much. I honestly find STO Starbase 1 chat a bit better. Also, while it's often quit, it just takes one operson to say something and then converstion starts going across all instances.
Noname Given is offline  
Old May 15 2010, 08:34 PM   #1374
Aeolusdallas
Captain
 
Re: Star Trek: Online

jolau wrote: View Post
Anyone know where I can get Dual Phaser Pistols? I have the MK2 that I got from a fallen enemy, but want to graduate to MK3s (I have MK3 or 4 for most everything else) or more and can't find them.

I looked at Earth Spacedock, DS9, K-7, Memory Alpha, and Starbase 39 and still can't find them.
The only places I have ever found any dual pistols are drops and in the exchange.
Aeolusdallas is offline  
Old May 15 2010, 08:44 PM   #1375
Santa Claus
Believe
 
Santa Claus's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's Rooftop
Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus
Re: Star Trek: Online

Aeolusdallas wrote: View Post
And I have been to Ogrimmar and been the only person there. STO IS a MMO it's even a MMORPG.
I will concede that it is an MMO, however I do stand by my dislike of the use of instances in large places such as Starbases, or at the very least, a smaller number of them. There are times when I check an instance and there are 3 people in it, 5 in another, 2 in another. I just don't get that sense of community that I did playing WoW.

Excelsior wrote: View Post
Have to disagree about the number of people online - any time I'm in Sector Space, or in a major system, or at Earth Spacedock, DS9, Memory Alpha, etc., they've all been pretty packed. And factoring in that I've played at most times of day (once at 4am when I got in from working late - yikes!), that's saying something.

Granted, in terms of interacting with them, that's a seperate thing, as a lot of them seem to be getting on with their own individual agendas, rather than socialising. Not that I particularly mind, of course - indeed, I tend to ignore a lot of them, considering that some of the uniform designs/character names I've seen are pretty effective at killing my suspension of disbelief...
I enjoy the socializing, and hope they have plans for that in the future. Without socializing, I'm just playing a game, one that I could easily buy for my PC without the need to go online, and that is where STO is lacking. WoW could never be played as it is, by yourself, solely on your own system, and that is where the fun is, when you and a group of people you've never met get together to kill Onyxia, only to find that she's wiped out 5 of you in the first ten seconds. I remember one such instance, where we were engaged in battle with Onyxia, and it got so intense, the lead tank just starts yelling "Run Away! Run Away!" and the image of all of us brave, fierce, determined warriors turning around and running from this lumbering beast still causes me to laugh out loud.
__________________
---------
"I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe." - Susan Walker
---------
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is online now  
Old May 16 2010, 02:17 AM   #1376
Angelsilhouette
Lieutenant
 
Angelsilhouette's Avatar
 
Location: U.S.S. Star Hammer
Re: Star Trek: Online

Noname Given wrote: View Post
I don't miss WoW chat much. I honestly find STO Starbase 1 chat a bit better. Also, while it's often quit, it just takes one operson to say something and then converstion starts going across all instances.
I often turn off zone chat in Starbase 1. the "WERES SULU!?!?!11" "Where's admirals office?!" "Where's the bank?!?!" "Where's the exchange!?!?" etc gets really old really quickly; as well as the general drama that always seems to start when someone wants to complain about something, people whinging when someone starts tribble jokes, or trying to use zone chat to sell their items because they can't figure out the exchange.

(For the non-STO players, Sulu is in the admiral's office which is directly in front of you when you beam in. The station is a small four spoked wheel, inside, so it is impossible to get lost and you'd have to be apocalyptically stupid or lazy to not be able to find the exchange and bank as they take up 1/4 of the wheel.)

Excelsior wrote: View Post
I tend to ignore a lot of them, considering that some of the uniform designs/character names I've seen are pretty effective at killing my suspension of disbelief...
I've had to report more than a few people based on their names (Almost always people whose names refer to them being a Nazi or Klansman). Though one day I was bored and went to the captain search on the STO home page and did a name search for "hitler" and reported a few more. : / I don't know if I'm more ashamed of myself for being a naming snob or of Cryptic for not having a way to catch that. After all, they make it so you can't make your name "Khan", or a swear, but didn't consider names that would do more harm than that. Add to that that it only took me 2 seconds to search for that name, how hard would it be for an employee to just type in some potentially hurtful words/names into the captain search and mark them for investigation?
Angelsilhouette is offline  
Old May 20 2010, 09:26 PM   #1377
Alpha Romeo
Vice Admiral
 
Alpha Romeo's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: Star Trek: Online

Need to get back into this. Been so busy that I haven't had time to play!
__________________
"Kirk would have fucked the cold dead skull of the Borg Queen when it was all over."
Alpha Romeo is offline  
Old May 21 2010, 07:47 AM   #1378
Ezhno
Cadet
 
Send a message via ICQ to Ezhno Send a message via AIM to Ezhno Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ezhno Send a message via Yahoo to Ezhno
Re: Star Trek: Online

Angelsilhouette wrote: View Post
I've had to report more than a few people based on their names (Almost always people whose names refer to them being a Nazi or Klansman). Though one day I was bored and went to the captain search on the STO home page and did a name search for "hitler" and reported a few more. : / I don't know if I'm more ashamed of myself for being a naming snob or of Cryptic for not having a way to catch that. After all, they make it so you can't make your name "Khan", or a swear, but didn't consider names that would do more harm than that. Add to that that it only took me 2 seconds to search for that name, how hard would it be for an employee to just type in some potentially hurtful words/names into the captain search and mark them for investigation?
The idea is to not police the players but to do whats best for the game overall. If no one has a problem with something there isn't a need to act on it. Sure, it still isn't advised to you provocative names; in fact I think it's against the TOS in the manner you've stated. But again, so long as no one has any issue with it there isn't a need to do anything about it. If they get reported enough then something will probably happen. But overall any player is free to ignore things they don't like and that often ends up being a better experience by doing so.
Ezhno is offline  
Old May 22 2010, 05:29 AM   #1379
Phily B
Fleet Captain
 
Phily B's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
View Phily B's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Online

90 percent of the players left are life time subs.

Well done Cryptic, the worst game developer in NA.
Phily B is offline  
Old May 22 2010, 05:33 AM   #1380
Aeolusdallas
Captain
 
Re: Star Trek: Online

Phily B wrote: View Post
90 percent of the players left are life time subs.

Well done Cryptic, the worst game developer in NA.
Do you have evidence to back up this claim?
Aeolusdallas is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
mmorpg, star trek online

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.