Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old May 8 2010, 06:01 PM   #1351
Alpha Romeo
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Online

Anyone having trouble logging in? I keep getting a network connection time out. It isn't even going to the usual connection screen.
Old May 8 2010, 06:15 PM   #1352
Guardian Bob
Lieutenant Commander

I can't get back into this game until they polish the game off. I wen't back for the welcome back weekend, but still the little things they haven't fixed annoy me.
Old May 9 2010, 12:12 AM   #1353
syberghost
Commander

View syberghost's Twitter Profile

Some things to keep in mind about the ship models; since they do ship customization where you can combine the parts for the ships of a given type in a given tier, they sometimes have to make slight changes in one so that the parts fit the others. This is more true of some ships than others, but keep in mind CBS has to approve ALL their ship designs (even non-canon ones they make up), and they aren't shy about requiring changes. Recently CBS rejected a much-demanded ship design the day before it was supposed to launch, requiring a third pass of the design and approval process.

CBS also evidently considers projects in the works in making these decisions, and it's the same contact who handles approvals for the books and toys.
Old May 9 2010, 01:47 AM   #1354
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Guardian Bob wrote: View Post
I can't get back into this game until they polish the game off. I wen't back for the welcome back weekend, but still the little things they haven't fixed annoy me.
What little things in particular?
Old May 9 2010, 03:09 AM   #1355
DrTikhon
Ensign

Well, I guess I'll try the demo. Hopefully it runs.

I have to wait till after midnight (Central) since I have a weekly bandwidth limit with downloads from midnight to six am only counting as 1/10th of the actual download.

Edit: Well, that was a bust. The downloader wants to go at 8kbps on my amazing internet connection.

Last edited by DrTikhon; May 9 2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old May 12 2010, 08:13 AM   #1356
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

I've decided that I'm going to let my sub run out in June. I've reached Admiral L5 and am bored to tears, even after PVE and PVP, there's just nothing for me to do that interests me. I'll come back in a couple of months and see what they've done, hopefully there will be a glut of new content.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Old May 14 2010, 09:03 AM   #1357
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post
I've decided that I'm going to let my sub run out in June. I've reached Admiral L5 and am bored to tears, even after PVE and PVP, there's just nothing for me to do that interests me. I'll come back in a couple of months and see what they've done, hopefully there will be a glut of new content.
The end of June/early July is when the Season 2 update hits which is supposed to add:

- Klingon PvE episode content (Like the Feds have now, but it's not just Frd missions with the text 'Klingon' over it - they finally get their own storyline)

- A new 'High Level Sector Block Hub' with more Episodic missions that aren't tied to the Borg STF zone.

- The 'Federation Diplomtic Corps' (aka Diplomacy and 'First Contact' Star Cluster Exploration missions; and it ties into the revamped commodities/aid the planet missions too). They are supposedly making this a completely valid and alternate way to Level a character up if you're no into all the 'pew, pew' of blowing up Klingon/Romulan/Cardassian, etc. ships

- More 'Ship Interior' sections for your ship (Sickbay and Engineering); and they want to add a mini-game that allows you to heal your BO's and your injuries and ships damage - assuming you're playing on 'Advanced' or 'Elite' difficulty.

And other stuff still, but those were (for me) the 'highlights'. Whereas the Season 1 Update was mostly bug fixes, and some new stuff, they've stated the Season 2 Update is more/mostley new mission content oriented, which is a good thing. If they do manage to get everything they're talking about in for Season 2; I think the game will be at the point it should have been at launch - with more and varied content, and two full and opposing factions with both PvE and PvP options.

If they can keep the pace they're going at with the content additions, I think the game will have a good ampunt of ccontent, variety, and play options by the 1 year mark.

I do like the direction they're taking the game, and I also like that player feedback is being listened to and guiding a lot of their decisions of STO expansion and development.

(But, I got a Lifetime Subscription, so I can afford to be patient ).
Old May 14 2010, 09:43 AM   #1358
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

^ Ah, that is excellent news. They are indeed moving very quickly. People complain, but I doubt they understand the massive undertaking this is for a small development team. I think they are doing well, and I look forward to new content.

Old May 14 2010, 09:54 AM   #1359
Aeolusdallas
Captain

^ Ah, that is excellent news. They are indeed moving very quickly. People complain, but I doubt they understand the massive undertaking this is for a small development team. I think they are doing well, and I look forward to new content.
I find that alternating months on MMORPG's or sometimes alternating several months is useful. It makes all the new content feel even more fresh and helps alleviate boredom.
In WoW I turn it on after major expansions and around the holidays. So I play maybe 4 or 5 months a year. That schedule has kept WoW interesting to me for what 6 or 7 years now. The same goes for everquest and COH. I imagine CO and STO will be similar.
Old May 14 2010, 07:50 PM   #1360
CaptJack
Captain

Noname Given wrote: View Post

If they can keep the pace they're going at with the content additions, I think the game will have a good ampunt of ccontent, variety, and play options by the 1 year mark.

I do like the direction they're taking the game, and I also like that player feedback is being listened to and guiding a lot of their decisions of STO expansion and development.

(But, I got a Lifetime Subscription, so I can afford to be patient ).
Lifetimer biding my time here too. I feel much the same way that you do about STO. There is a hell of a lot of potential in the intellectual property that I haven't really felt has been met by the game so far, but I like the direction they are moving in. Maybe once they have a more well developed spectrum of content and gameplay improvements around the 1 year mark, they can somehow "relaunch" the game to draw players back in.
Old May 14 2010, 08:50 PM   #1361
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

I am in it for the long haul, but am only a Captain, so I do not have access to some things.
Old May 14 2010, 09:02 PM   #1362
Praxius
Fleet Captain

I've been looking into this game for a while now (since before it was released) however, I can not justify paying for the game, installing the game, then having to continually pay more and more in order to keep playing it.

It's why I gave away my world of warcraft to someone for free.

I know the whole argument that they need the additional money in order to keep it active, to keep developing it, to keep it more interesting, but I find that argument to be a crock.

There are plenty of games out there that you buy, install and play.... that's it, and that the developers of said games don't charge you continually to keep playing it, yet they keep updating the games, patching them, continually add free content, items, characters, levels, etc. all for free.... for many years after original release.

Valve (creators of Half-Life, Counter Strike, Team Fortress, etc.) have never made players pay and pay out the wazoo.... they kept updating and adding content to their games, sometimes almost for an entire decade after their games were released and well over a decade from release of such games as Team Fortress Classic, Counter Strike and Day of Defeat.... thousands upon thousands of people still play those games even today, which were originally released back in 1998-2000.

People keep playing them, because the company kept updating and keeping their games relevant.... while not charging the players more and more to keep doing what they already were doing for free.

Making players pay every month to be allowed to keep playing the games they already paid for isn't to allow the games to be continually updated.... it's a money grab, and for that, I refuse to purchase this game.

I'm sure it's fun and entertaining, and it looks it.... but I can not go against my principles on this.

It's also why I never bought an X-Box, but rather went for a Wii.
Old May 14 2010, 10:25 PM   #1363
Aeolusdallas
Captain

A game like WoW takes a lot more money to maintain the servers than team fortress. It also requires a great deal more updating to keep interesting. New races, dungeons, continents etc... That takes more resources than the occasional tiny battlefield and balance patches team fortress gets. As for principle it 15 bucks a month for entertainment. Thats the price of a single person going to the movies for 2 hours or 1/5h of a monthly cable bill. It's around the same price as a singe meal at an average restaurant. Companies have tried to go with your suggestion for MMORPG's and only one manages it. Guild Wars and it does not have anywhere near the content that WoW has. It also has very few updates and is almost entirely PvP. Wow, EVE, COH etc.. haefull time staff continually working on updates.
Old May 14 2010, 10:50 PM   #1364
Santa Claus
Believe

That said, it is rather difficult to define STO as an actual MMO. The "Massive" aspect of the game is missing. The vast majority of your time in game, you can only interact with what would be an average multiplayer non-MMO. Games like Battlefield 1942, which is not an MMO, yet in Multiplayer has more people in one area than what you would find on STO. That should not be, as Battlefield 1942 is 8 years old and is still completely free to play online once you purchase the game itself.

Old May 15 2010, 03:12 AM   #1365
Aeolusdallas
Captain

That said, it is rather difficult to define STO as an actual MMO. The "Massive" aspect of the game is missing. The vast majority of your time in game, you can only interact with what would be an average multiplayer non-MMO. Games like Battlefield 1942, which is not an MMO, yet in Multiplayer has more people in one area than what you would find on STO. That should not be, as Battlefield 1942 is 8 years old and is still completely free to play online once you purchase the game itself.
I disagree with that. In say WoW, yes the instance has a thousand or so players on at once but no more that 50 to a hundred can actually be at any one place at once. In STO even though you don't get more that 50ish people on a given area at once EVERYONE is technically all on the same server. In practice they are the same. I would even say STO is more massively online than WoW. I have friends scattered all over the WoW servers that I can't play with. I can play with anyone I know in STO as they are all on the same "server". Battlefiled is not even close to a MMORPG. STO is much more so. and again you simply cannot compare something lke Battlefield to WoW or STO. It has nowhere near the same number of updates and expansions. It's a FPS.
Closed Thread