Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old February 10 2010, 09:11 PM   #916
SFRabid
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: Online

Thingol wrote: View Post
Of course its a MMORPG.

Last night was awesome... we teamed up with 5 captains... felt like a completely different game.

Suddenly we had socializing and a lot more oomph, so we played missions above our level. While it was hard as hell in space, we ruled on the ground.
Out of curiosity, was it a mixed group playing their roles of attach, debuff and support, or just everyone attacking but in an organized manner? I'm wondering how much difference it makes if any to fully play out the roles associated with the three types. My bridge officers seem to do their roles pretty well, but there is no pulling mobs or organized attack when playing solo.
Old February 10 2010, 11:50 PM   #917
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

It would help tremendously if they put the enemies' "levels" when you target them. In CoH this is indicated by the level number and the color of the opponent you're fighting (e.g., red = higher level, more XP).
Old February 10 2010, 11:59 PM   #918
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Drone36929 wrote: View Post
It would help tremendously if they put the enemies' "levels" when you target them. In CoH this is indicated by the level number and the color of the opponent you're fighting (e.g., red = higher level, more XP).
They do. Equal level to you are 0 lower levels are -1. -2. -3, -4 etc Higher levels are +1, +2, +3 etc.....
Old February 11 2010, 12:04 AM   #919
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Aeolusdallas wrote: View Post
Drone36929 wrote: View Post
They do. Equal level to you are 0 lower levels are -1. -2. -3, -4 etc Higher levels are +1, +2, +3 etc.....
Yep. What is odd, though, is that I'll be a part of a Sirius Sector Block enemy contact run, and after all these -8, -7, and 0s, I get a +38 Bird of Prey! Most the time there are only 2 or 3 other ships to fight with me, if that. +38? Wha?
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
Old February 11 2010, 03:47 AM   #920
Joel
Lieutenant Commander

I purchased the game the other day, installed it with no issues. So far i'm really impressed with the performance. No drop outs, quick loading in, very little time updating. I have to agree that the ground combat could do with some polish, but that will come with time.

Personally, I am struggling with the mechanics of the game like skills, shields, communiction, teams - pretty much everything as this is my first MMO. But I am looking forward to learning it and really becoming involved with it.
Old February 11 2010, 02:19 PM   #921
SFRabid
Commodore

Last night was the first time I started really using kits. I bought a Mk IV level kit with three options and could only see one use showing up on my action bar. That is when I started digging into the menues and discovering how things work. My engineer felt more like and engineer when he started settup shields, healing, and phaser turrants.
Old February 11 2010, 09:26 PM   #922
strikefalcon
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to strikefalcon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to strikefalcon

Drone, sounds like you're at about the same level I'm at. I'm in the middle of the mission with Miral Paris right now on Regulus IV and I'm at like Lt. 7, spreading my skills relatively evenly. Right now, I've been able to get maybe 5-10 hrs a week spent on the game on average and I am perfectly happy with my progression.

I'm into this game for the long haul. I only wish I had the money for a lifetime sub so I wasn't wasting extra deniro every month. Oh well...
Old February 12 2010, 10:00 PM   #923
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

I am Lt 9 on the same mission as strikefalcon
Old February 12 2010, 10:54 PM   #924
Alex1939
Captain

The lack of a death penalty, or an incentive to live, is killing this game for me.

I think it's "fun" and very visually appealing, but I just feel there is zero challenge or strategy to this game. Well there is strategy, but since death is pointless, you just don't need it.

Anyone else feel that vibe?
Old February 12 2010, 11:08 PM   #925
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Alex1939 wrote: View Post
The lack of a death penalty, or an incentive to live, is killing this game for me.

I think it's "fun" and very visually appealing, but I just feel there is zero challenge or strategy to this game. Well there is strategy, but since death is pointless, you just don't need it.

Anyone else feel that vibe?
I don't. Right now there are still plenty of bugs in the software. How would you like to lose so many skill points or your entire ship because a software bug tripped you up?
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
Old February 12 2010, 11:26 PM   #926
Alex1939
Captain

If it meant that I would actually feel thrilled in combat, and have the feeling of "OH SHIT I'm gonna die!" and have to try to pull something crazy out to live... if I could get that kind of thrill from this game I would take what you suggest.

If I'm in a situation where my ship is about to be exploded I don't even think twice, because there is no incentive to keep my ship alive.

However, your suggestion of losing a ship is way too extreme a death penalty and not what I would want to see. But there needs to be something.
Old February 13 2010, 12:59 AM   #927
Raxor
Commander

Doesnt bother me that much, as i try to stay alive as much as possible.

though if you get sucked into a deep space encounter with romulans, the first thing that will happen is you will find about 10 warbirds shooting at your warp in point with no way to get out of that alive. You usually find yourself dead within 5 seconds for something out of your control.

I would get fustrated with that if there was a harsh penalty applied.
Old February 14 2010, 12:49 AM   #928
strikefalcon
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to strikefalcon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to strikefalcon

Well thanks to Valentine's Day, I haven't got a single hour of STO in this week due to trying to make my wife happy.

Thanks greeting card companies and chocolate company conglomerates!

I'll have a lot of catching up to do next week.

Because of weeks like this, I'm glad there's not a strict death penalty. I just wish there was a way around the monthly fee still and only had to pay for new content. Right now my obligations to real life are cutting into the value I'm getting out of my first 30 days of STO big time.
Old February 14 2010, 02:29 AM   #929
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

If anyone does the Crystalline Entity fleet action, you should bring a big ass fleet that is heavily armed because that thing is hard to kill.
Old February 14 2010, 03:26 PM   #930
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Yesterday i bred a mccarry tribble which gives me a 1 hour damage buff...

Some info on tribble breeding:
STO thread:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=96340

Flow chart:
http://docs.google.com/present/view?...d3gyNWR2&hl=en

Table:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...GVXh5SFE&hl=en