RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,575
Posts: 5,423,606
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 473
Newest member: toaster

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old February 10 2010, 01:53 AM   #901
SFRabid
Commodore
 
SFRabid's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek: Online

You could have been bugged. It's happed in other games. My first 10 levels went fast. The second 10 slow. I also used a 4 day weekend to get to Lt. Com. I've hit a few bugs on the way. It is really aggrovating when a bug kills the mission you have been working on.
SFRabid is offline  
Old February 10 2010, 04:35 AM   #902
Phily B
Fleet Captain
 
Phily B's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
View Phily B's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Online

Its barely a MMORPG.

Most of the missions are soloing; early on you tend to get grouped up but its rare after Lt. The only ones are fleet actions which get boring quickly. You can't even make a raid for missions to do them with friends.
Phily B is offline  
Old February 10 2010, 04:35 AM   #903
Aeolusdallas
Captain
 
Re: Star Trek: Online

Drone36929 wrote: View Post
Okay, if you don't believe it, let me elaborate. The "tutorial" level wherein I had to go and rescue people aboard a starship that was attacked by the Borg, board Starbase 24 and defeat Klingons, and some randoms space battles took quite a bit of time for me. I must have leveled to Lieutenant, Level 1. Then I started the other exploration missions of the Vulcan Sector (Reytan, Bhea, etc.) given by Sulu, and that's how I reached Level 2 Lieutenant. These were the "nested" missions (re: Orion ships) that I talked about (it took about two hours), and that's how I got to Level 3. Last night I did the Delta Novis exploration missions from Admiral Quinn, which took about a couple of hours. I just got a "Skills Up" notification, allocated my points, but didn't even reach Level 4 as I expected.

One other thing that I found lacking in this game was the "MMO" scope. Almost every mission I did was instanced, which defeats the whole purpose of on-line collaborative gameplay. Sometimes there were two or three people in the same zone completing the same missions I had, but there were no team-ups.
so you only did a single mission? . I had assumed you had done the other starter missions. The Azuria and the temple of P'Jem
Aeolusdallas is offline  
Old February 10 2010, 05:53 AM   #904
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral
 
Gryffindorian's Avatar
 
Location: Middle-earth
Re: Star Trek: Online

A single mission? I don't follow. I mean it felt like I did at least four from the very beginning. The missions were always nested, like mini-missions within a mission, thus taking me at least a couple hours to complete--with scant rewards and points.
__________________
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins, LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
Gryffindorian is offline  
Old February 10 2010, 05:57 AM   #905
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: Equestria
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Star Trek: Online

Odd. The longest mission I have played took two hours, but I got 400 points and it nearly made me reach the next level by itself. There may be something buggy, Drone.
__________________
I tried to make a deal with the Devil, once. Turns out I didn't have anything he wanted.
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
You will never find a more welcome hive of love and humility.
J. Allen is offline  
Old February 10 2010, 06:02 AM   #906
Aeolusdallas
Captain
 
Re: Star Trek: Online

Drone36929 wrote: View Post
A single mission? I don't follow. I mean it felt like I did at least four from the very beginning. The missions were always nested, like mini-missions within a mission, thus taking me at least a couple hours to complete--with scant rewards and points.
what quests have you done. The starting quests after you leave tutorial and go to earth are.
1st Rescue the Azuria
2nd Bring the Ambassador to P'jem
3rd Talk to Sulu
Sulu's then has you first patrol Vulcan Sector then Risa Sector. He also offers you defend the sector missions.
If you do the quests listed you will be either 4th level or 5th.
There are two other quests the Explore quest at Delta Volanis and Starbase 24
Those shouldget you to around level 6
The patrol missions are usually made up of 4 or 5 mini missions either space or land. While the story episode missions are usually 1 space then 1 land then 1 space.
You can very easily get to level 6 in 4 or 5 hours.
Aeolusdallas is offline  
Old February 10 2010, 07:20 AM   #907
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral
 
Gryffindorian's Avatar
 
Location: Middle-earth
Re: Star Trek: Online

Aeolusdallas wrote: View Post
Drone36929 wrote: View Post
A single mission? I don't follow. I mean it felt like I did at least four from the very beginning. The missions were always nested, like mini-missions within a mission, thus taking me at least a couple hours to complete--with scant rewards and points.
what quests have you done. The starting quests after you leave tutorial and go to earth are.
1st Rescue the Azuria
2nd Bring the Ambassador to P'jem
3rd Talk to Sulu
Sulu's then has you first patrol Vulcan Sector then Risa Sector. He also offers you defend the sector missions.
If you do the quests listed you will be either 4th level or 5th.
There are two other quests the Explore quest at Delta Volanis and Starbase 24
Those shouldget you to around level 6
The patrol missions are usually made up of 4 or 5 mini missions either space or land. While the story episode missions are usually 1 space then 1 land then 1 space.
You can very easily get to level 6 in 4 or 5 hours.
I did everything except the P'Jem mish, which I wasn't prompted to do. I talked to Quinn, did his mish, talked to Sulu to patrol the Vulcan systems, completed that, then back to Quinn to do the Delta Volanis system. That by your definition should've gotten me to at least Level 5 or 6, as I spent more or less seven hours playing STO the past few nights. So I dunno what I did wrong.
__________________
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins, LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
Gryffindorian is offline  
Old February 10 2010, 07:33 AM   #908
Aeolusdallas
Captain
 
Re: Star Trek: Online

Drone36929 wrote: View Post
Aeolusdallas wrote: View Post
Drone36929 wrote: View Post
A single mission? I don't follow. I mean it felt like I did at least four from the very beginning. The missions were always nested, like mini-missions within a mission, thus taking me at least a couple hours to complete--with scant rewards and points.
what quests have you done. The starting quests after you leave tutorial and go to earth are.
1st Rescue the Azuria
2nd Bring the Ambassador to P'jem
3rd Talk to Sulu
Sulu's then has you first patrol Vulcan Sector then Risa Sector. He also offers you defend the sector missions.
If you do the quests listed you will be either 4th level or 5th.
There are two other quests the Explore quest at Delta Volanis and Starbase 24
Those shouldget you to around level 6
The patrol missions are usually made up of 4 or 5 mini missions either space or land. While the story episode missions are usually 1 space then 1 land then 1 space.
You can very easily get to level 6 in 4 or 5 hours.
I did everything except the P'Jem mish, which I wasn't prompted to do. I talked to Quinn, did his mish, talked to Sulu to patrol the Vulcan systems, completed that, then back to Quinn to do the Delta Volanis system. That by your definition should've gotten me to at least Level 5 or 6, as I spent more or less seven hours playing STO the past few nights. So I dunno what I did wrong.
I am as stumped at you. After that sequence of quests you are 5 or 6 and get sent either rimward to K7 or trailing to Regulas
Aeolusdallas is offline  
Old February 10 2010, 07:36 AM   #909
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: Equestria
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Star Trek: Online

Seriously. I have no idea why Drone hasn't advanced.
__________________
I tried to make a deal with the Devil, once. Turns out I didn't have anything he wanted.
-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
You will never find a more welcome hive of love and humility.
J. Allen is offline  
Old February 10 2010, 09:38 AM   #910
Ace1701A
Lieutenant
 
Re: Star Trek: Online

Drone36929 wrote: View Post
I did everything except the P'Jem mish, which I wasn't prompted to do. I talked to Quinn, did his mish, talked to Sulu to patrol the Vulcan systems, completed that, then back to Quinn to do the Delta Volanis system. That by your definition should've gotten me to at least Level 5 or 6, as I spent more or less seven hours playing STO the past few nights. So I dunno what I did wrong.
I'm guessing you didn't spend your skill points yet. I didn't either at first. Press "u" to get your status screen, go to your character, and spend some skill points if you haven't already.

If that's not it, then maybe your character's bugged...
Ace1701A is offline  
Old February 10 2010, 06:45 PM   #911
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral
 
Location: On the USS Sovereign
Re: Star Trek: Online

You can level up faster by defending a sector. Ther are three "team" battles per mission and they can be done in about an hour.
Ronald Held is offline  
Old February 10 2010, 06:57 PM   #912
SFRabid
Commodore
 
SFRabid's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek: Online

My longest mission was 2 1/2 hours and it was a subset of sector patrol. Rescue scientist held by Gorn in a facility protected by a force field. First take down the three power stations powering the field. Fight, rest, fight, rest, fight, rest, push a button. Repeat two more times. Fight some more. Look at a dead captive. Beam up. It was probably one of the most boring quests I have done. I really hope I don't get that quest again. 1 hour for 100 points makes for very slow leveling.

At that rate it is 100 hours to move up a rank. At first that really bothered me but as I think about it, if I plan to play this game for a year I don't want to reach Admiral in the first week. What I would really like is...

1. Variety.
2. An indication of quest level.
3. Control over my team.
4. Better screen utilization.
5. A mature interface.

Variety - Quest are becoming repetitive in nature. More than that, space always looks the same. In EQ2 or WOW different locations have a different look and feel. The only environmental variety in STO is planet environment and you get the feeling that is random.

Quest level - I've completed some quests to almost the end and there is no way I could finish until I get a bigger, badder ship. Since rewards are given on completion I feel like I wasted my time.

Control over my team - In EQ2 you can tell your pets who to attack, where to stand, etc... When my away team goes into battle they spread out, shoot at different targets, and draw aggro from areas they should not be getting close to. Granted, they are good at buffing, debuffing and healing. But during hallway battles they tend to run into side rooms and draw those mobs.

Better screen utilization - During battle I find myself trying to peer under the icon and information of the target I have selected. In space you do need to look up, but on the screen looking up means looking at that target information. When you complete a quest the reward information appears on top of the communication screen of your ship asking you to beam back. Many windows have frames that are big and stylized which takes up too much space. I feel cramped playing on a 22" wide screen.

Mature Interface - Yes STO is new, but I thought it was based on and programmed by people that did another MMO. The exchange cannot sort by cost. Chat windows are a long way from what I am used to in EQ2 or eve WOW. Sparse information on how to play. If I want to change the name of a bridge character it tells me I have to buy the right with CrypticPoints but that option is not in the CrypticStore. There is an option to buy a Klingon or Ferengi character but I find no way to buy CrypticPoints on the STO site or in the game. It seems like "another thing they plan to finish" but why refer to it at all before that time? This game will probably be much better in 6 months than it is now.
SFRabid is offline  
Old February 10 2010, 07:44 PM   #913
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral
 
Gryffindorian's Avatar
 
Location: Middle-earth
Re: Star Trek: Online

So, in sum, 'twas a rushed product, which gave me much frustration playing this game. But even in six months, I don't see myself coming back to play it again to see if they've made improvements.
__________________
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins, LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
Gryffindorian is offline  
Old February 10 2010, 08:15 PM   #914
SFRabid
Commodore
 
SFRabid's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek: Online

Drone36929 wrote: View Post
So, in sum, 'twas a rushed product, which gave me much frustration playing this game. But even in six months, I don't see myself coming back to play it again to see if they've made improvements.
No, more like "It seems more rushed than I expected from a company that already does MMO's. If it turns out like EQ2 a lot of these problems will be fixed during the next 6 months. During that time be prepared to suffer some aggravation that you don't have to deal with in competing, matured games."

The EQ2 release was much like this. They spent 6 months fixing problems, adding content, and tweaking the interface. During that time many EQ1 players bought the game, rushed to level 50, then bailed and never came back. EQ2 started combining servers as population dwindled and never recovered.
SFRabid is offline  
Old February 10 2010, 08:57 PM   #915
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor
 
Timelord Victorious's Avatar
 
Location: Germany, Earth, the Solar System
Re: Star Trek: Online

Of course its a MMORPG.

Last night was awesome... we teamed up with 5 captains... felt like a completely different game.

Suddenly we had socializing and a lot more oomph, so we played missions above our level. While it was hard as hell in space, we ruled on the ground.
Timelord Victorious is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
mmorpg, star trek online

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.