RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,238
Posts: 5,348,131
Members: 24,611
Currently online: 525
Newest member: fxks323

TrekToday headlines

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old February 3 2010, 08:35 PM   #796
Arthur Frelling Dent
Fleet Captain
 
Arthur Frelling Dent's Avatar
 
Location: SF Bay Area
Re: Star Trek: Online

Drone36929 wrote: View Post
I was reading the manual last night that came with the game. I must say game manuals nowadays have become more and more "bare bones" basic. It would've been helpful to show on-screen displays and images, showing the control panel, stats, etc.
Does anyone know of and can link to a list of keyboard commands, emotes, etc.?


Foley0402 wrote: View Post
Admitting I'm too lazy to read through the whole thread, how vital is team play to the game experience? Can you play straight through to endgame solo if you so choose?

The reason I have never stayed with any MMO is the group requirement. I have a job, kids, friends... when I get three hours a week to game I DON'T want to spend it trying to put a group together and then get to fight 3 mobs before I have to log out.
So far in my limited time playing, the game seems to be very solo-friendly. In fact, I see it as almost a solo game with multiplayer components. You often get teamed automatically in instances but usually everyone goes their separate ways after the mission. I'm sure it would be fun though to run through a bunch of missions with the same group, especially if they're friends or guild members.
Arthur Frelling Dent is offline  
Old February 3 2010, 08:42 PM   #797
Arthur Frelling Dent
Fleet Captain
 
Arthur Frelling Dent's Avatar
 
Location: SF Bay Area
Re: Star Trek: Online

Because I know you're all riveted by my computer troubles...

Just got a call from Dell and the technician will be at my home between 9:30 and 1:30 tomorrow to replace my hard drive. They originally wanted to give me a 9:30 to 5:30 window but what was I supposed to do? Stay home and miss a whole day of work? Ridiculous.

So good news for me and bad news for the Klingons, the USS Montevideo under the command of Lt. Norvo Dent once again leaves Space Dock tomorrow evening!
Arthur Frelling Dent is offline  
Old February 3 2010, 08:57 PM   #798
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral
 
Corran Horn's Avatar
 
Location: I-L
Re: Star Trek: Online

Arthur Frelling Dent wrote: View Post
Drone36929 wrote: View Post
I was reading the manual last night that came with the game. I must say game manuals nowadays have become more and more "bare bones" basic. It would've been helpful to show on-screen displays and images, showing the control panel, stats, etc.
Does anyone know of and can link to a list of keyboard commands, emotes, etc.?


Foley0402 wrote: View Post
Admitting I'm too lazy to read through the whole thread, how vital is team play to the game experience? Can you play straight through to endgame solo if you so choose?

The reason I have never stayed with any MMO is the group requirement. I have a job, kids, friends... when I get three hours a week to game I DON'T want to spend it trying to put a group together and then get to fight 3 mobs before I have to log out.
So far in my limited time playing, the game seems to be very solo-friendly. In fact, I see it as almost a solo game with multiplayer components. You often get teamed automatically in instances but usually everyone goes their separate ways after the mission. I'm sure it would be fun though to run through a bunch of missions with the same group, especially if they're friends or guild members.
Well, you can definitely join guilds/supergroups (which are called fleets in the game, I believe) and take on missions that way. Not sure if there is a 'taskforce' equivalent (like in City of Heroes) in STO.
__________________
"I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do drugs. I play video games, which I think is a far superior addiction to any of those other ones. "
Corran Horn is offline  
Old February 3 2010, 09:07 PM   #799
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral
 
Gryffindorian's Avatar
 
Location: Middle-earth
Re: Star Trek: Online

Foley0402 wrote: View Post
Admitting I'm too lazy to read through the whole thread, how vital is team play to the game experience? Can you play straight through to endgame solo if you so choose?

The reason I have never stayed with any MMO is the group requirement. I have a job, kids, friends... when I get three hours a week to game I DON'T want to spend it trying to put a group together and then get to fight 3 mobs before I have to log out.
Well, collaborative gameplay is an essential element of MMOs, but in my years playing CoH/CoV, joining a team is NOT a requirement; however, it does help greatly when you play in groups, i.e., strength in numbers, more XP, faster leveling.

EDIT: Since I haven't actually installed/played the game yet, I don't know exactly how Away Team missions will work when you team up with another player/players. When you beam down a planet, you have your own set of Away Team (bridge officers). So if you have five or six players on your team, do you get 35 - 40 friggin' Starfleet officers (including the AIs)?
__________________
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins, LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
Gryffindorian is offline  
Old February 3 2010, 09:59 PM   #800
Arthur Frelling Dent
Fleet Captain
 
Arthur Frelling Dent's Avatar
 
Location: SF Bay Area
Re: Star Trek: Online

Drone36929 wrote: View Post
EDIT: Since I haven't actually installed/played the game yet, I don't know exactly how Away Team missions will work when you team up with another player/players. When you beam down a planet, you have your own set of Away Team (bridge officers). So if you have five or six players on your team, do you get 35 - 40 friggin' Starfleet officers (including the AIs)?
The way I understand it: When you join a team, the limit is 5 players per team. Away Teams are limited to 5 characters. Therefore, if 5 players are in an Away Team, the Away Team will consist of their 5 captains and no BO's. If less than 5 players are in a group, the remaining slot(s) on the Away Team will be filled with BO's (based on some system of team seniority).

I've only done one Away Team with other players and it was a 5 player/captain Away Team. As it turned out, the mission consisted entirely of running around and scanning things... no combat at all. After the 60 seconds or so it took to complete the mission, we all stood around going, "Hmm... that was... fun... Uh... nice to meet you."
Arthur Frelling Dent is offline  
Old February 3 2010, 10:14 PM   #801
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral
 
Gryffindorian's Avatar
 
Location: Middle-earth
Re: Star Trek: Online

^^^ My kind of game.

I'm looking forward to some updates/patches they'll have for this game (hopefully, we won't have to go out and buy expansions).
__________________
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins, LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
Gryffindorian is offline  
Old February 3 2010, 10:35 PM   #802
Andiamo
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Star Trek: Online

ReadyAndWilling wrote: View Post
What races can you play as?

Are they planning on adding more?

I'd love to play as a Jem'Hadar.
If you're Federation, you can play as Human, Benzite, Vulcan, Trill, Saurian, Bajoran, Bolian, Andorian, Borg (if you pre-ordered the lifetime subscription), Ferengi (micro transaction), Klingon (microtransaction) and Joined Trill (if you bought the digital deluxe edition).

If you decide to serve the Klingon Empire, you can play as a Klingon, Gorn, Nausicaan, Lethean, or Orion.

You also have the option to create your own race. The various body parts are culled from various Star Trek races, including the Jem'Hadar. Apparently, you can make a Cardassian but I haven't figured that one out yet.
Andiamo is offline  
Old February 4 2010, 12:15 AM   #803
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral
 
Gryffindorian's Avatar
 
Location: Middle-earth
Re: Star Trek: Online

I understand that Ferengi and Klingon Starfleet officers come with their own added bonuses/enhancements, so to speak. Do you have to pay to download either or both avatars or pay with points? Also, what's the difference between Trill and Joined Trill in terms of the appearance/functionality?
__________________
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
--Bilbo Baggins, LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
Gryffindorian is offline  
Old February 4 2010, 02:05 AM   #804
Aeolusdallas
Captain
 
Re: Star Trek: Online

Andiamo wrote: View Post
ReadyAndWilling wrote: View Post
What races can you play as?

Are they planning on adding more?

I'd love to play as a Jem'Hadar.
If you're Federation, you can play as Human, Benzite, Vulcan, Trill, Saurian, Bajoran, Bolian, Andorian, Borg (if you pre-ordered the lifetime subscription), Ferengi (micro transaction), Klingon (microtransaction) and Joined Trill (if you bought the digital deluxe edition).

If you decide to serve the Klingon Empire, you can play as a Klingon, Gorn, Nausicaan, Lethean, or Orion.

You also have the option to create your own race. The various body parts are culled from various Star Trek races, including the Jem'Hadar. Apparently, you can make a Cardassian but I haven't figured that one out yet.
In create your own race they have the parts to make Denobulans, Tellarites, Benzites, Aennar and several of the forehead aliens. Cardassians can be kibbished sort of.

PS Hirogen and Jemhadar also

Last edited by Aeolusdallas; February 4 2010 at 02:06 AM. Reason: ps
Aeolusdallas is offline  
Old February 4 2010, 02:06 AM   #805
Aeolusdallas
Captain
 
Re: Star Trek: Online

Drone36929 wrote: View Post
I understand that Ferengi and Klingon Starfleet officers come with their own added bonuses/enhancements, so to speak. Do you have to pay to download either or both avatars or pay with points? Also, what's the difference between Trill and Joined Trill in terms of the appearance/functionality?
Joined Trill are trill with one extra required trait. The trait gives you bonuses in 5 skills. Basically all the starship skills.
Aeolusdallas is offline  
Old February 4 2010, 03:17 AM   #806
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral
 
P0sitr0nic's Avatar
 
Location: Jedi Council
Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic
Re: Star Trek: Online

Can someone get me a good high res pic of Quinto's EMH?
__________________
If you're one of the meatheads constantly droning on about "take my country back"... GET OVER IT. The confederacy LOST.
P0sitr0nic is offline  
Old February 4 2010, 11:09 AM   #807
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral
 
Rincewiend's Avatar
 
Location: .eu / .nl
Re: Star Trek: Online

Drone36929 wrote: View Post
I understand that Ferengi and Klingon Starfleet officers come with their own added bonuses/enhancements, so to speak. Do you have to pay to download either or both avatars or pay with points? Also, what's the difference between Trill and Joined Trill in terms of the appearance/functionality?
You have to pay for the Ferengi and Klingon starfleet races...
I bought them with the 500 free Cryptic points i got with the DDE...

Oh, and:


Goldsellers/energysellers...
__________________
Don't trust atoms, they make up everything!
Rincewiend is online now  
Old February 4 2010, 02:31 PM   #808
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Star Trek: Online

Hey, I got the lifetime subscription. So how do I get my two extra bridge officer slots?
Hartzilla2007 is offline  
Old February 4 2010, 03:13 PM   #809
Trek
Fleet Captain
 
Trek's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek: Online

Are they bridge officer slots or character slots? (I though they were the second of the two).
__________________
TrekBBS Armada
STO Captains (@Trek88): Lex, Foxton, Zylah, Sh'Rrth, Riku, Saundra
Author: The Adventures of Argus
Twitter: @Trek88
Trek is offline  
Old February 4 2010, 04:03 PM   #810
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Star Trek: Online

Trek wrote: View Post
Are they bridge officer slots or character slots? (I though they were the second of the two).
I checked it's just character slots.
Hartzilla2007 is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
mmorpg, star trek online

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.