Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old February 2 2010, 10:34 PM   #781
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Online

Waiting to pick my my game tomorrow, so I can play with the addons.
Old February 2 2010, 10:43 PM   #782
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Out of curiosity, once you buy, open the box and install the game, how many MBs does it have to download for patching purposes right now ?

By the way I'll get this game sometime in the next few days or weeks. I'm pretty familiar with various mmorpgs (lineage 2, wow, aion, city of heroes/villains etc) so i don't think I'll have any trouble getting used to the game.

Old February 2 2010, 10:52 PM   #783
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Gone are the days when Target or Wal-Mart would have a new game release on sale for a fraction of the actual price. Now when a PC game first comes out, you pay the whole price ($49.99). Bah, the good thing is, I have a $50 Target gift card.

The official website shows that you can download Ferengi and Klingon Starfleet officers (I believe they have to be purchase with points). Question, why not just include them in the character customization to begin with?
Old February 3 2010, 12:52 AM   #784
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

I am so into this game, Lieutenant 3 right now, is there a chart or something that shows the ranks/levels ?

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Old February 3 2010, 12:55 AM   #785
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

It's just Lieutenant 1-10, Lt. Commander 1-10, Commander 1-10, Captain 1-10, and Admiral 1-10, if I remember right.
Old February 3 2010, 04:15 AM   #786
Arthur Frelling Dent
Fleet Captain

Victory! Although I had to call Dell (so much for promised callback), the tech I got determined it was my hard drive in literally about 3 minutes. I was on the phone with another guy for 2 hours last night! Dell is now sending out a technician to replace my hard drive. Unfortunately it'll be 2-3 business days but as long as it's done by the weekend I'll live. I would have been fine with them just sending me a new hard drive but maybe this will be easier. And get this, at the end of the call, the tech said his floor manager wanted to speak to me. The manager profusely apologized for the hassle I had gone through both with my brand new computer dying and the idiot tech from last night. I was honestly moved a tiny bit.
Old February 3 2010, 12:13 PM   #787
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

What races can you play as?

Are they planning on adding more?

I'd love to play as a Jem'Hadar.
Old February 3 2010, 01:06 PM   #788
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Well, the Steam edition of the DDE only got 5 or 6 items from that page...
The Joined Trill his some nice stats, the automatic defense turret is nice...
Old February 3 2010, 02:18 PM   #789
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Arthur Frelling Dent wrote: View Post
Victory! Although I had to call Dell (so much for promised callback), the tech I got determined it was my hard drive in literally about 3 minutes. I was on the phone with another guy for 2 hours last night! Dell is now sending out a technician to replace my hard drive. Unfortunately it'll be 2-3 business days but as long as it's done by the weekend I'll live. I would have been fine with them just sending me a new hard drive but maybe this will be easier. And get this, at the end of the call, the tech said his floor manager wanted to speak to me. The manager profusely apologized for the hassle I had gone through both with my brand new computer dying and the idiot tech from last night. I was honestly moved a tiny bit.
There could be tears?

Anyhoo, sounds great, and you lucked out!
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
Old February 3 2010, 06:34 PM   #790
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post
I'm looking forward to buying this game tomorrow.

I thought about doing the download version, but I'd rather have the physical DVD in hand, not really going to get the collectors edition though, money is an issue and all, I'll just stick to the standard. Need to find out what subscription prices are though.

I'm highly looking forward to gaming in the 25th century!
For people new to MMOs - realize that the DVD is out of date as soon as you buy it. By that I mean - as soon as you re-install, you'll need to re-patch up to the current client version anyway (and I can guarentee in to months or so, it'll be GBs worth of downloading) - and the client is always available directly from the website; so in all honesty, having the physical install DVD for an MMO doesn't mean all that much.

With a digital download, no need to go to a store or wait in line - just purchase, download, install, register the retail code witrh your game account and you're good to go. I would never do a Digital download for a standalone PC game, but with an MMO I have no issues because the client is always being updated and content added.
Old February 3 2010, 06:40 PM   #791
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
It's just Lieutenant 1-10, Lt. Commander 1-10, Commander 1-10, Captain 1-10, and Admiral 1-10, if I remember right.
Only Admiral 1-5 (for 45 total levels instead of 50); they remobved the last 5 at the very end of closed beta; said they woukld be returning, but they wanted to rework the end game a bit and allow for more expansion of characters in the future, but we'll see how all that turns out.
Old February 3 2010, 06:54 PM   #792
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Brent wrote: View Post
I'm looking forward to buying this game tomorrow.

I thought about doing the download version, but I'd rather have the physical DVD in hand, not really going to get the collectors edition though, money is an issue and all, I'll just stick to the standard. Need to find out what subscription prices are though.

I'm highly looking forward to gaming in the 25th century!
For people new to MMOs - realize that the DVD is out of date as soon as you buy it. By that I mean - as soon as you re-install, you'll need to re-patch up to the current client version anyway (and I can guarentee in to months or so, it'll be GBs worth of downloading) - and the client is always available directly from the website; so in all honesty, having the physical install DVD for an MMO doesn't mean all that much.

With a digital download, no need to go to a store or wait in line - just purchase, download, install, register the retail code witrh your game account and you're good to go. I would never do a Digital download for a standalone PC game, but with an MMO I have no issues because the client is always being updated and content added.
Also, you don't have your face pressed up against the door...

[runs to the door]
[runs back empty handed]

...waiting for the mail delivery.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
Old February 3 2010, 06:57 PM   #793
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

I was reading the manual last night that came with the game. I must say game manuals nowadays have become more and more "bare bones" basic. It would've been helpful to show on-screen displays and images, showing the control panel, stats, etc.

As the game states, this is a skills-focused MMO, and the leveling process, though similar to other games, is not like the MMOs I've played (or the only one I play at the moment, City of Heroes/City of Villains). In CoH/CoV, for instance, you gain experience points by completing mishes or fighting enemies, and you level up and unlock new power sets or additional "enhancement slots" to modify your powers. In STO, you have to spend "X" amount of skill points to level your character and buy modifications/enhancements for your bridge officers and consoles. In a way, this is good because you're really developing your ship/captain's skills and abilities.

I haven't installed the game yet but am really looking forward to this. I may have to cancel my CoH/CoV subscription.
Old February 3 2010, 08:14 PM   #794
The Fatman
Captain

Send a message via AIM to The Fatman

Admitting I'm too lazy to read through the whole thread, how vital is team play to the game experience? Can you play straight through to endgame solo if you so choose?

The reason I have never stayed with any MMO is the group requirement. I have a job, kids, friends... when I get three hours a week to game I DON'T want to spend it trying to put a group together and then get to fight 3 mobs before I have to log out.
Old February 3 2010, 08:19 PM   #795
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Foley0402 wrote: View Post
Admitting I'm too lazy to read through the whole thread, how vital is team play to the game experience? Can you play straight through to endgame solo if you so choose?

The reason I have never stayed with any MMO is the group requirement. I have a job, kids, friends... when I get three hours a week to game I DON'T want to spend it trying to put a group together and then get to fight 3 mobs before I have to log out.
I'm the same way (1 kid, 1 on the way) and I like how STO has handled it so far. I haven't needed to team, but occasionally during a space battle I'm put into an instance with other players who are trying to accomplish the same goal. It's auto-teaming and it can be disabled if you so choose.