Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old January 30 2010, 12:21 PM   #736
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Online

Rincewiend wrote: View Post
This is Golden...

Dancing-Horta wrote:
I knew it, I didnt think so soon......apparently a player has taken it upon himself to report ALL Character and ship names he feels are NOT CANON.

I saw this in a pvp zone chat tonight. This person, who i am NOT going to name, reported a bunch of us for "non canon and nonsensical" toon and ship names.

I want a Dev or GM response on what the guidelines are for naming because if some probably overweight hot pocket eater has appointed himself "naming sheriff" then I want this nipped in the bud NOW
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=89536
LOl lol beautiful.
Old January 30 2010, 12:23 PM   #737
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

This is Golden...

Dancing-Horta wrote:
I knew it, I didnt think so soon......apparently a player has taken it upon himself to report ALL Character and ship names he feels are NOT CANON.

I saw this in a pvp zone chat tonight. This person, who i am NOT going to name, reported a bunch of us for "non canon and nonsensical" toon and ship names.

I want a Dev or GM response on what the guidelines are for naming because if some probably overweight hot pocket eater has appointed himself "naming sheriff" then I want this nipped in the bud NOW
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=89536

Oh boy...

The troll on page 2 is funny

I hope you all realize that none of this is talk going to help you guys find girlfriends.

Old January 30 2010, 07:21 PM   #738
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

I also got the annual membership...
Which comes out around €7 a month...
Tactical Captain Samuel Vimes of the U.S.S. Ahnk-Morpork...

My character on the bridge:

-- Death makes a career move (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)

Last edited by Rincewiend; January 31 2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old January 31 2010, 07:53 PM   #739
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
Corran Horn wrote: View Post
I pre-ordered from GameStop but I didn't get a pre-order box so I think I'm missing out on head-start. They did give me a card with a beta key...maybe they thought that was the same thing. (or I could be wrong)
That's the head start - any account with a "Pre-order" key attached to it can play it before hand.

Two days left and I'm still on the fence about the lifetime... so many reasons not to do it (Cryptic's treatment of Champions Online and the cost), but man... I really want to do it to not have the pressure of a subscription.
I get more "bang-for-my-buck" with the Digital Deluxe Edition then people buying the regular edition with lifetime subscription...
I paid €10 more and get all this, versus paying €175 for a playable borg character and 2 extra character slots...
And you get the 2 extra character slots with the anual subscription as well...

Old January 31 2010, 08:00 PM   #740
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
Corran Horn wrote: View Post
I pre-ordered from GameStop but I didn't get a pre-order box so I think I'm missing out on head-start. They did give me a card with a beta key...maybe they thought that was the same thing. (or I could be wrong)
That's the head start - any account with a "Pre-order" key attached to it can play it before hand.

Two days left and I'm still on the fence about the lifetime... so many reasons not to do it (Cryptic's treatment of Champions Online and the cost), but man... I really want to do it to not have the pressure of a subscription.
I get more "bang-for-my-buck" with the Digital Deluxe Edition then people buying the regular edition with lifetime subscription...
I paid €10 more and get all this, versus paying €175 for a playable borg character and 2 extra character slots...
And you get the 2 extra character slots with the anual subscription as well...
Yeah but does it come with a disk copy to reinstal the game if you have to reformat your computer or have to switch to a new one?
Old January 31 2010, 08:04 PM   #741
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Yeah but does it come with a disk copy to reinstal the game if you have to reformat your computer or have to switch to a new one?
You can always either burn your own copy, or if you're smart in choosing your digital download retailer (read: buy from Steam) just download it again.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old January 31 2010, 08:43 PM   #742
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Is there any way to get any of those goodies (like the TOS uniforms) other than by pre-order? Will there be "micro transactions" in-game that allow you to purchase them?
Old January 31 2010, 10:51 PM   #743
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
Is there any way to get any of those goodies (like the TOS uniforms) other than by pre-order? Will there be "micro transactions" in-game that allow you to purchase them?
Well, there is a ingame store with micro transactios, but i doubt you will be able to buy all those extras seperatly in the store or even straight away.
I don't think the NX-prefix, the pets, the borg BO, the emotes or the ship will make it to the shop.
I can see the uniforms and the weapons, shields, armour and the ship device and console make it to the shop.

Old January 31 2010, 10:56 PM   #744
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Well I got the game perordered and got the lifetime subscription.
Old January 31 2010, 11:20 PM   #745
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

quick question for a MMO noob.....I'm going to pre-order from gamestop today...aside from purchasing the game, do I have to figure out a subscripton option at that point? How does that aspect work?

for those that have played the beta and head start.....do you get to have more than one ship? I'm going with gamestop to get the classic Enterprise...and while I know it's basically a beginner ship, I'd like to be able to fly around in it later if the mood strikes me.
Old February 1 2010, 12:38 AM   #746
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

The Lensman wrote: View Post
quick question for a MMO noob.....I'm going to pre-order from gamestop today...aside from purchasing the game, do I have to figure out a subscripton option at that point? How does that aspect work?
No you can't get the subscription from the store you preorder the game from, you have to pick a subscription option on the game's site.
Old February 1 2010, 01:26 AM   #747
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

As someone who wants to purchase it, but is leery of gameplay, how does it "feel"? Does it have a "WoW" feel but in space? Or is it something completely different? Since they won't offer free trials for a while, I'm just very curious.
Old February 1 2010, 01:10 PM   #748
Collective_8472
Fleet Captain

It's more like City of Heroes in space... and yet not.
The game is made by Cryptic, the same guys who built CoH (and later Champions Online, its spiritual successor).
The ground combat is similar to those games, 90% of the time it's ranged and IMO they do a decent job of handwaving away the resiliancy of characters.
You get a personal shield (something Starfleet's had for years but that we rarely saw due to budget reasons, ditto body armor).
Aside from the scaling issues (go to DS9 and you'll really see it) the game is wonderful. Granted the scaling-up of everything is to accomodate the 3rd person view (if they scaled things proper ala elite force, you'd be looking down through the ceiling with the camera... it'd be messy).

The game isn't for idiots. You need to READ the quest text (something you can get away with not doing in WoW) to pick up on where to go, what to do, etc. IMO the way it should be.

The chat... dear gods the Sirius sector chat... retards ahoy!
Old February 1 2010, 02:28 PM   #749
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Collective_8472 wrote: View Post

The chat... dear gods the Sirius sector chat... retards ahoy!
Yeah, it's barren's chat all over again.
Old February 1 2010, 07:41 PM   #750
Arthur Frelling Dent
Fleet Captain

Well, that was fun while it lasted. I had my new Dell exactly 16 days when the hard drive died last night. Grrrrr. I'll have to call Tech Support when I get home from work, but it looks most definitely dead. Obviously it's still under warranty so they should just send me a replacement but who knows how long that will take. Maybe Cryptic will finally get the STO server up by then.
Closed Thread