Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old May 1 2009, 09:58 PM   #31
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

new science vessel ship

image of the TYPE VII Commercial Laboratory new ship
science vessel

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/236
Old May 5 2009, 10:31 PM   #32
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Online fees

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
CaptJimboJones wrote: View Post
I don't think it's been disclosed yet.
Will there be a monthly fee?
Yes. The fee will be competitive with other products of our genre.
Will the content grow during the lifetime of the game?
Yes, through updates and expansions
It was disclosed by startrek.com on 7.12.2005 and here.

A fee in a way tells you that this is a serious game, and only the serious play it. That is not to say that the fee takes away from the fun of the game
SOURCE: STO forum post
Pay to Play monthly = looking at Cryptic past games, free updates, no restrictions, able to keep the game running with chances to expand on ideas. Down side may not get your money worth of game time.
another STO forum post
Thanks for the info. To be clear, I was referring to the amount of the monthly fee, which (as far as I know) hasn't yet been disclosed. Please correct me if I'm wrong, however, obviously you're far more of an expert on this game than I.
Old May 8 2009, 07:23 AM   #33
Feofilakt
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Star Trek: Online

This game has the real potential to be phenomenal, I just hope they include more playable sides/races in the expansions.

Imagine being at the helm of a borg cube

I know who I am going to play as first, though. Go team klingon!

I know from a friend who plays CoH/CoV that Cryptic is usually really good about subscription fees. AFAIK, you pay less when you order larger chunks of times (1 month, 3 months, 6 months, etc etc). At any rate, I'm not normally an MMO guy, but I may become one for this game.
Old May 8 2009, 07:49 AM   #34
Skogul
Cadet

Send a message via ICQ to Skogul Send a message via AIM to Skogul Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Skogul Send a message via Yahoo to Skogul

I'm all for this game, especially since GW2 has been delayed yet again and playing various free MMORPGs only holds my attention for so long before I get bored (grinding gets old and that's all the free ones seem to be).

If I'm gonna pay to play another MMO, it'll be this one.
Old May 9 2009, 01:37 PM   #35
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Twitter updates from ST:Online Dev. Team

Star Trek Online Dev Team Members registed on Twitter'
http://twitter.com/CrypticZinc/

Some photos from the office with the developers and screenshots of works-in-progress.
Old May 9 2009, 03:26 PM   #36
CosmicGirl
Lieutenant

I am excited for this new game. I want to be an Andorian captain. My ship will have Andorians, Humans, and Tellerites on board. The best thing about this game is that you can create crews undreamt of in the TV series.
Old May 10 2009, 07:45 AM   #37
NCC74894A
Fleet Captain

Location: The Laurentian system, albeit about a century too late
Re: blog post about ST:Online timeline

Star Trek Online begins in the year 2409, which is about 30 years after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis.

Christine "Kestrel" Thompson has posted a new blog over on MMORPG.com - In this blog she talks about the daunting task of writing thirty years of Star Trek History and how exactly she has chosen to approach the whole thing.
In addition, she also mentions a couple of tidbits that we havent heard about yet - Laas and the missing 98 changlings from the "100" - which could give us some idea about what to expect in some future updates.
What happened to the Klingons? How were the Cardassians recovering from the Dominion War? Where were Laas and the missing 98 changelings, and what did they want? What was the Federation doing when all of this was going on? What about the Gorn, or the Orions? And so on.
full blog post:
http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Awenyddi...strel-Thompson

original source
I see that they've reached the year 2387, including the events of Countdown (the comic series/graphic novel written as a lead-in to the Star Trek movie, chronicling the destruction of Romulus and the rise of Nero). I wonder how far in advance they knew about this, as their previous backstory seemed to devote a lot of time to Romulan political developments that now, apparently, will have no bearing on the game.
Old May 10 2009, 09:41 AM   #38
Captain_Amasov
Captain

Re: blog post about ST:Online timeline

NCC74894A wrote: View Post
Star Trek Online begins in the year 2409, which is about 30 years after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis.

Christine "Kestrel" Thompson has posted a new blog over on MMORPG.com - In this blog she talks about the daunting task of writing thirty years of Star Trek History and how exactly she has chosen to approach the whole thing.
In addition, she also mentions a couple of tidbits that we havent heard about yet - Laas and the missing 98 changlings from the "100" - which could give us some idea about what to expect in some future updates.
What happened to the Klingons? How were the Cardassians recovering from the Dominion War? Where were Laas and the missing 98 changelings, and what did they want? What was the Federation doing when all of this was going on? What about the Gorn, or the Orions? And so on.
full blog post:
http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Awenyddi...strel-Thompson

original source
I see that they've reached the year 2387, including the events of Countdown (the comic series/graphic novel written as a lead-in to the Star Trek movie, chronicling the destruction of Romulus and the rise of Nero). I wonder how far in advance they knew about this, as their previous backstory seemed to devote a lot of time to Romulan political developments that now, apparently, will have no bearing on the game.
They've been in talks for a while now, you'll notice that the major players in the Romulan political system "mysteriously disappeared" before Romulus' destruction. After launch the next two factions Cryptic want to release are the Dominion and the Romulans, I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens once the timeline reaches 2409.
Old May 10 2009, 04:55 PM   #39
CosmicGirl
Lieutenant

I am more interested in the developments on the other side of the galaxy. I am certain that Bajor will become part of the Federation. I think the Cardassian Union might be divided among powers. I think Cardassia Prime will end up as Federation. Some planets may go to the Jem'Hadar.
Old May 11 2009, 02:40 AM   #40
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I have mixed feelings about this game.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old May 15 2009, 12:44 PM   #41
Cky
Captain

I can't f'ing wait.

Do we have to wait until 2010 for the release though?
Old May 21 2009, 09:18 PM   #42
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: Online development images and design info

2 images from a planet surface structure? Looks like a temple
http://www.sto-zone.net/pe/images/3dd2.jpg
http://www.sto-zone.net/pe/images/3dd3.jpg

This looks like Ba'ku village in 'Star Trek: Insurrection'.
A small village an alien planet: home to the Ba'ku.
compare with the memory alpha photo from the film.

What do you guys think?
Old May 21 2009, 09:20 PM   #43
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: Online development images and design info

-

Last edited by jefferiestubes8; May 21 2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old May 21 2009, 11:46 PM   #44
Peter the Younger
Commodore

You keep multiple ships in a hangar bay?

From an MMO perspective, I totally understand this. Hell, I've played EVE Online, too.

But from a Star Trek perspective, that just feels wrong.

Old May 30 2009, 04:24 AM   #45
pymfan2000
Lieutenant

Has anyone heard anything concrete on when this is coming out?
Closed Thread