Red Shirt Diaries Returns Next Month
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

ISS Astronaut May Join Trek Fan Film

Quinto Sports New Trek Uniform

Star Trek: Renegades Released Early
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old December 18 2009, 02:00 AM   #331
Captain Pike
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Online

I'll wait untilt he reviews are in, but if this ends up decent, I'll build myself a new pc. If not I'll wait until Diablo 3 is released (just around the time of the apocalypse)..
Old December 18 2009, 06:39 AM   #332
billcosby
Commodore

Yeah. Have to wait and see.

Old December 18 2009, 07:01 PM   #333
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

More rumors and speculation about the XBox360 release over at the official forum, for what it's worth:

Originally Posted by cipher_nemo
Originally Posted by dbarelic
<start sarcastic speculation> May Microsoft said, 'you up the system requirements to make people go out and buy new pc with Windows 7 on it and we will help you get this on the Xbox'. <end sarcastic speculation>
Although written in jest, there is unfortunately a lot of truth to that. Because Microsoft owns a majority share of the OS market, new PC sales = profit for them as their PC builder partners continue to purchase OS licenses for their PCs. And Microsoft is no stranger to pushing hardware requirements. Just look at .NET, Visual Studio, and higher and higher level APIs from DX11 to Windows API.
But realistically, I build new PCs and purchase the latest, greatest hardware because it's part of a hobby of mine that focuses on gaming, programming, and PC modding. So I'm not complaining.
Also there are some additional rumors that the XBox version won't be available until Summer 2010.
Old December 19 2009, 04:11 AM   #334
strikefalcon
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to strikefalcon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to strikefalcon

Summer 2010 should be good timing for a full-blown Klingon expansion, or something more.

BTW, for PC players, Target has their pre-orders on the shelves or 99 cents. You get a code for open beta, 2 day head start, 5 bucks off the final game, and an exclusive carbine transporter rifle from Deep Space Nine that lets you shoot bullets through walls without line of sight.
Old December 19 2009, 04:36 PM   #335
darthraidr
Commodore

i doubt MS is going to hold up STO on the 360 because they dont want to take a hit on PC sales... really, how many people are going to buy a new PC for this game? i'm sure some people will, but not enough to cause anyone to take notice. especially as in 2010 there will be far better games to move PC sales (SW:TOR, SC2, maybe WoWx3)

i would watch Champions Online to see how the console side plays out. but i wouldn't hold my breath for either.
Old December 20 2009, 04:58 AM   #336
Phily B
Commodore

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

billcosby wrote: View Post
I got an email from Star Trek online recently.
I couldn't understand it, as I was drunk at the time.
I'm not drunk anymore... but I lack motivation to read it.
But that all might change.... with a few mouse clicks.

Phily B wrote: View Post
Game sucks.

EDIT: update... I read the letter again. Something about pre-ordering the game will net me a mini Enterprise. How nice. Now, let me check on that post from Phily B...

Game sucks.
Yep. It's still gold!
Why is it funny? The game does suck. It has a fucking auction house for christ sake, most of the missions are pure and utter WoW like shit. The space part is ok, the ground part is just horrible and whoever came up with the missions needs firing.
Old December 20 2009, 10:41 AM   #337
Tom Riley
Commodore

Location: Seventh star to the left, then loop around till nightfall.
View Tom Riley's Twitter Profile

^ In the beta breaking the non-disclosure contract, or are you just spouting this out of nowhere?
Old December 20 2009, 11:24 AM   #338
Phily B
Commodore

View Phily B's Twitter Profile

Tom Rudolph wrote: View Post
^ In the beta breaking the non-disclosure contract, or are you just spouting this out of nowhere?
I don't care about the non-disclosure, I played it a few times and thought it was a joke. I was looking forward to it, but its going to be the tenth failed MMORPG since WoW.

http://i49.tinypic.com/b86av5.jpg

Seriously, its not very good. I'll be sticking to Old Republic.
Old December 20 2009, 12:54 PM   #339
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Tom Rudolph wrote: View Post
I don't care about the non-disclosure, I played it a few times and thought it was a joke. I was looking forward to it, but its going to be the tenth failed MMORPG since WoW.

http://i49.tinypic.com/b86av5.jpg

Seriously, its not very good. I'll be sticking to Old Republic.
I take it you played that one too already?
Old December 20 2009, 02:06 PM   #340
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

sound effects in ST:Online

DH: Were environmental sound effects created from scratch for the game or were you able to sample sounds which have actually been used in TV and film?

Michael Henry - Audio Department:
Both. CBS/Paramount was kind enough to provide us with a library of sound effects and ambience from the original series through Enterprise, and also some sound effects created for some of the movies. However, given the time line for Star Trek Online and the variety of new environments we have had to cover, we have also been working furiously to create new sound effects and environmental audio to augment those from the Star Trek legacy.
December 20 2009
Star Trek Online - Q&A with the Dev Team at DriverHeaven
http://www.driverheaven.net/intervie...interviewid=20
via
http://www.dvhardware.net/article39879.html

Cool. I love when the original sound effects get used in a major sci-fi franchise.
and the link for the original article mentions:
DH: Does the game engine allow use of hardware acceleration for sound such as EAX for Creative users?
Greg Thompson - Audio Engineer:
We are using FMOD middleware for our audio engine.
FMOD supports what we need for that, and the performance cost on modern systems is fairly minimal on the CPU. We also have to support XBOX, PS3 and potentially other game platforms, so FMOD’s cross-platform capabilities are a big plus.

Let me point out this line again:
We also have to support XBOX, PS3 and potentially other game platforms
Old December 21 2009, 08:13 PM   #341
Klaitu
Commodore

From the videos I've seen of it, the game just looks worse and worse.

You blow up a borg cube with a Miranda class in the tutorial. You have to hit someone with about 50 phaser shots before they drop.

This is just Champions Online with Star Trek skins.
Swashbuckling Space-Hero.
Old December 22 2009, 01:01 AM   #342
Tyson
Fleet Captain

Klaitu wrote: View Post

You blow up a borg cube with a Miranda class in the tutorial. You have to hit someone with about 50 phaser shots before they drop.

Speaking as someone who has played the internal beta (blah blah NDA whatever) this couldn't possibly be father from the truth, and anyone who seriously believes STO is just Champions reskinned probably digs large sections of their brain out of their skull with a spatula while collecting their drool in a Kool-aid man shaped jug as a pastime.
Old December 22 2009, 02:17 AM   #343
Klaitu
Commodore

Tyson wrote: View Post
Klaitu wrote: View Post

Speaking as someone who has played the internal beta (blah blah NDA whatever) this couldn't possibly be father from the truth, and anyone who seriously believes STO is just Champions reskinned probably digs large sections of their brain out of their skull with a spatula while collecting their drool in a Kool-aid man shaped jug as a pastime.
So you're telling me that you don't blow up a borg cube with a miranda class in the tutorial, and that things don't take dozens of phaser shots to kill?
Swashbuckling Space-Hero.
Old December 22 2009, 08:34 AM   #344
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Well if they keep to their timetable the beta will be opened to everybody in 3 week time then we shall all see.....i personally I'm keeping my expectations down low so as not to be Star Trek Legacy type disappointed, i am expection combat to be similar to Star trek Starfleet command 3 which when it worked online with about 10 people attacking a AI starbase or ships was really quite enjoyable, i have no idea how land based combat will work.

Old December 22 2009, 09:43 AM   #345
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

Again, they did this totally wrong and I think they kind of rushed it because of SW: OR
Closed Thread