Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old December 13 2009, 12:43 AM   #316
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Online

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Noname Given wrote: View Post
The only single player like MMO being released is Bioware's upcoming Old Republic MMO which will include full voice-over for every NPC. Seems like Bioware's being more the innovator than Cryptic is.
It comes down to budget. Star Wars The Old Republic is being bankrolled by LucasArts and they definitely want the game to be what they felt Star Wars galaxies should have been; so they have abiout 3 times the production budget. I realize in the end, all anyone cares about is whether STO is a good MMO or not, budget be damned - but nothing is made in a vaccum, and Bioware has more time and momey to develop SWTOR then Atari gave Cryptic to make STO.

Also, found a very well done fan made trailer for STO.

Well, budget or not, STO doesn't look like much of an inspired game. Doesn't even look like they're really trying to make STO to be different rather than applying new MMO foundations, in a way that would open up avenus for MMOs. Someone's got to be an innovator to move the genre forward. I would of liked to have had STO be the one, but looks to me like it's Bioware. At least it's doing something new and trying new things by going in a different direction.
What? Because they have voice over? Please, Age of Conan had intigrated and full voice over for the first 20 levels of their MMO; great the first time through, but kind of annoying when you get an alt going. Other than that, based on the Dev videos Bioware put out, the GAMEPLAY is very much 'standard MMO'. In fact it just looks like KotOR III but in an MMO format/sertting (and FYI I don't think that's a bad thing as I liked the KotOR games, and am looking forward to seeing how SWTOR turns out) - hope it's good as I'm SICK TO DEATH of the High Fanasy genere most modern MMOs adopt.

The fact is - any financial backer will probably have it in the contract that the ioverall design of any new MMO should copy World of Warcraft since it's a big success and the people with the purse strings want a quick ROI; so, the matra is 'stick with what's successful.

Problem is (and even Blizzard acknowledges this); WoW's overwhelming success was a fluke caused by a number of factors in the MMO market in 2004; and I doubt ANY new Western MMO (even SWTOR which I think could do 1 million+ suba if it's released right) will even duplicate it and get 11+ million subs.

But, time will tell for BOTH STO and SWTOR next year.
Old December 13 2009, 01:10 AM   #317
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

No, not just talking about the full voicover, although that's just one of the many aspects that make it move forward. It's more in the style of gameplay, and the way they're making a solo style storyline. That's what makes me excited. Just because it's online doesn't mean it can't have a good engaging story and I feel that's what's been missing in the genre, and something that Bioware recognizes.
Old December 13 2009, 07:21 AM   #318
StardustSteph
Lieutenant

View StardustSteph's Twitter Profile

I'm actually really looking forward to this game. I'm trying not to have really any expectations so hopefully I can try and enjoy it and not get nit picky. I don't have much experience with MMORPGs I've played LOTR a bit, but nothing hardcore, but since I heard about STO I have been so pumped. I can't wait...I just don't want to get too overly excited and then end up disappointed.
Old December 13 2009, 11:24 AM   #319
James Swallow
Writer

View James Swallow's Twitter Profile

Anyone here actually on the Beta?
Old December 14 2009, 04:05 AM   #320
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

James Swallow wrote: View Post
Anyone here actually on the Beta?
There is a chance that the Beta users had to sign and agree to a Non-Disclosure-Agreement which is legally binding until March 2010 or later. P.S. I am not a Beta tester.
Old December 14 2009, 09:58 AM   #321
billcosby
Commodore

I got an email from Star Trek online recently.
I couldn't understand it, as I was drunk at the time.
I'm not drunk anymore... but I lack motivation to read it.
But that all might change.... with a few mouse clicks.

Phily B wrote: View Post
Game sucks.

EDIT: update... I read the letter again. Something about pre-ordering the game will net me a mini Enterprise. How nice. Now, let me check on that post from Phily B...

Phily B wrote: View Post
Game sucks.
Yep. It's still gold!

Old December 16 2009, 05:41 PM   #322
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: Online development images and design info

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
2 images from a planet surface structure? Looks like a temple
http://www.sto-zone.net/pe/images/3dd2.jpg
http://www.sto-zone.net/pe/images/3dd3.jpg
This looks like Ba'ku village in 'Star Trek: Insurrection'.
A small village an alien planet: home to the Ba'ku.
compare with the memory alpha photo from the film.

What do you guys think?
Could also be Bajoran.
It also looks like this monastery:
The monastery of P'Jem in 2151. (ENT: "The Andorian Incident") site of the Human-Andorian first contact
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/File...27Jem_2151.jpg
"The Andorian Incident" ENT Episode 1x07
First aired: 31 October 2001

Any thoughts?
Old December 16 2009, 11:15 PM   #323
strikefalcon
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to strikefalcon Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to strikefalcon

I've been visiting the forums on the Cryptic website and Star Trek Online will require you play online, but beyond that requirement I believe that you can still play the game as close to a single player experience as you desire. Of course, a lot of the other ships and characters you encounter in the game besides your computer-controlled bridge crew will actually be real people out there in the interweb, but that just enhances the experience from my point of view compared to the best AI that most other games can come up with.

And, although there will be a monthly fee of approx 15 bucks US after your first month of play out of the box, the continued play and support will lead to an expanded universe and content in game. And there is plans to port the game to consoles when it becomes possible from a business standpoint, but after checking the minimum specs, my machine and most other pcs with video cards with specs that are only a year or two old should be able to support the game no problem.

Just go to www.startrekonline.com to sort out everything else.

At first I was reluctant to jump on the STO bandwagon, but after so many Star Trek gaming duds since "Starfleet Command," I can't help but get excited about this one...
Old December 17 2009, 04:45 AM   #324
Guardian Bob
Lieutenant Commander

Downloading the Beta now. Its taking a while... I was hoping to play it tonight.
Old December 17 2009, 11:48 AM   #325
Captain Pike
Rear Admiral

Hitler Learns About STO Closed Beta
Old December 17 2009, 03:34 PM   #326
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Just a matter of time, I suppose.

Hopefully Stalin's gonna do some blogging.

A comparison of ship sizes:
http://suricatasblog.files.wordpress...ierchart11.png

Looks like they really used the "official" design from the novels for the Luna class. Me likey. Gotta get me one of those.

Last edited by Ayelbourne; December 17 2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old December 17 2009, 06:56 PM   #327
Anthony Sabre
Commodore

That's just hilarious! Glad I wasn't one of the Champions Online lifetime subscribers. I think I can wait until Jan 12th for the open beta.
Old December 17 2009, 07:01 PM   #328
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Klingon Gameplay Details

Star Trek Online Klingon Gameplay Details
December 17, 2009
by Cryptic Studios
Klingon Gameplay Klingon gameplay is one of Star Trek Online’s most unique features. It exists as an additional advancement path for players, and offers different gameplay options to players more interested in player-vs.-player combat.
the highest level:

General
Bird of Prey Mk. 5 – capable of cloaking in combat.
Raptor Mk. 4.
Battle Cruiser Mk. 3

loads more to read:
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?show=1393
Old December 17 2009, 07:42 PM   #329
IDIC
Rear Admiral

Noname Given wrote: View Post
The only single player like MMO being released is Bioware's upcoming Old Republic MMO which will include full voice-over for every NPC. Seems like Bioware's being more the innovator than Cryptic is.
It comes down to budget. Star Wars The Old Republic is being bankrolled by LucasArts and they definitely want the game to be what they felt Star Wars galaxies should have been; so they have abiout 3 times the production budget. I realize in the end, all anyone cares about is whether STO is a good MMO or not, budget be damned - but nothing is made in a vaccum, and Bioware has more time and momey to develop SWTOR then Atari gave Cryptic to make STO.

Also, found a very well done fan made trailer for STO.

Well, budget or not, STO doesn't look like much of an inspired game. Doesn't even look like they're really trying to make STO to be different rather than applying new MMO foundations, in a way that would open up avenus for MMOs. Someone's got to be an innovator to move the genre forward. I would of liked to have had STO be the one, but looks to me like it's Bioware. At least it's doing something new and trying new things by going in a different direction.
I have to disagree. I think they are doing different things. For one, the concept of the bridge officers and having it be such a major part of the game is something that other mmorgs havent done with their "pets".
Old December 17 2009, 10:41 PM   #330
Anthony Sabre
Commodore

Looks like Klingons will be PVP only.
Closed Thread