RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 147,093
Members: 26,070
Currently online: 571
Newest member: KlingonButtWine

TrekToday headlines

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old December 10 2009, 09:23 AM   #301
Technobuilder
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: Online

You think that's an issue... check out what a friend just emailed me...

If you Pre-Order Star Trek Online at these places, here's what you'll get.

GameStop -- GameStop customers receive the ability to command the exclusive
and always classic USS Enterprise from Star Trek The Original Series.

Best Buy -- Best Buy is offering their customers a fun in-game pet. As a
Federation Captain, players own a famed Tribble of Star Trek lore that will
accompany them on their travels into the final frontier. As a Klingon
commander, players control the boar-like Targ, a beast found on the Klingon
home world of Qo?noS.

Amazon -- Amazon is offering an exclusive ?Liberated Borg? Bridge Officer.
This bridge officer, who comes with unique nanotechnology augmentations,
assists in missions and gains experience as the player does.

Wal-Mart -- With the Wal-Mart Bonus Skill Points package, receive addition
skill points that enable players to improve their characters quickly.

Target -- Target customers who preorder Star Trek Online receive a unique
ground weapon ? a TR-116. This rare projectile weapon is used in dampening
fields and other challenging environments; it is also modified with a micro-
transporter which beams the fired projectiles to targets at close range so
that a user can fire without a direct line of site.

Direct2Drive -- Direct2Drive customers receive an exclusive Multi-Spatial
Personal Shield. This advanced personal shield system is based on Borg
technology, which constantly regenerates itself and the health of its
wearer.

STEAM -- STEAM is offering customers Chromodynamic Armor. This armor is
based on technology brought back from the Delta Quadrant by U.S.S. Voyager
improves the damage and critical hits of energy weapons.

What the Fucking Hell? Who the hell do I pre-order from, assuming I still want to play this game that may or may not be out in February of 2010?
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Old December 10 2009, 01:53 PM   #302
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

IDIC wrote: View Post
Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
^^^Your not joking, if the games really is only 3 months away until its release its very very unusual for there to be almost nothing about about the game in real terms of how its looks and runs on a PC at this stage, considering its supposed to be on PC/console and yet nothing solid has been released of the game as it nears a supposed release.

I would not be surprised if they announced another delay real soon, not surprised in the slightest.
I do not think they will announce a delay. The release is scheduled for February. I would say more about the concerns listed above but I am in closed beta and under a NDA but I do not feel that people's concerns will last...
Well the next nine weeks will tell if its going to make that Feb release date, its eleven weeks till the end of Febuary so they need about two weeks after going gold for printing and distibution, so assuming the releasee date is at the end of Feb they have nine weeks to go from a closed beta to the finished game......although i see the closed bete will be open to everybody from the 12th of jan till the 26th Jan so we will all get a chance to see it in action.

I hope they do make the release date, but i dont want them to make the release date with a games thats full of bugs up the wazzo, we certainly dont need another Trek game of that nature.(Star Trek New World,Dominions wars, PC Legacy).

Old December 10 2009, 02:18 PM   #303
vess
Lieutenant

I just have two quick questions, maybe someone can help me out..

1.) Is there any definite info out on whether or not STO will be released on console anytime in the near future?

2.) I know that online is in the title, but is there a NON-online component. Like a single player story or something? I have no real knowledge of MMOs and the concept doesn't excite me, but the game looks cool.

Thanks!
Old December 10 2009, 05:35 PM   #304
rahullak
Commodore

Check out the latest videos: http://www.startrekonline.com/videos
The game looks awesome from the vids.

They're accepting Beta testing applications too. Been waiting to dive into an ST MMO like forever ...just a few more months now...

EDIT: I guess people here already knew this...I've been late on the uptake!
Old December 10 2009, 05:39 PM   #305
rahullak
Commodore

vess wrote: View Post

1.) Is there any definite info out on whether or not STO will be released on console anytime in the near future?

2.) I know that online is in the title, but is there a NON-online component. Like a single player story or something? I have no real knowledge of MMOs and the concept doesn't excite me, but the game looks cool.

Thanks!
You don't think its cool to have story-based RPGs set in an online (virtually unlimited) universe, where you get to play collaboratively or against other people? You don't think its cool to play a game that resembles the Star Trek universe as closely as it can and helps you immerse yourself even more? I certainly do.
Old December 10 2009, 08:28 PM   #306
Technobuilder
Commodore

Here's the link to the info to the pre-order information I requested he send me.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=40322

Thoughts?
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Old December 10 2009, 08:51 PM   #307
vess
Lieutenant

rahullak wrote: View Post
vess wrote: View Post

Thanks!
You don't think its cool to have story-based RPGs set in an online (virtually unlimited) universe, where you get to play collaboratively or against other people? You don't think its cool to play a game that resembles the Star Trek universe as closely as it can and helps you immerse yourself even more? I certainly do.
I didn't say anything about it not being cool. I think it's very cool. I just would want to play alone.
Old December 10 2009, 09:02 PM   #308
IDIC
Rear Admiral

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
Here's the link to the info to the pre-order information I requested he send me.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=40322

Thoughts?
I would say either Bestbuy or the Amazon one would be the one to go with. I say that because I think with the other stuff you will out rank them to point where you wouldnt use them anymore. The Borg Bridge officer would just be a unique skin most likely and you could just keep that officer around and train them up so they would scale properly. The pet is likely to be only something you would see on your own bridge.

I am not saying that the other stuff wouldnt be useful to begin with but I think only the two things above would be something you keep around for awhile.
Old December 10 2009, 09:41 PM   #309
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

I'm fairly interested in the game, but I think I'm falling into the system spec/upgrade conundrum. Perhaps later in the year.
Old December 10 2009, 11:29 PM   #310
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

The only single player like MMO being released is Bioware's upcoming Old Republic MMO which will include full voice-over for every NPC. Seems like Bioware's being more the innovator than Cryptic is.
Old December 11 2009, 01:24 AM   #311
rahullak
Commodore

Well if this first installment of ST:O is a hit, then I'm sure we'll have upcoming versions that could incorporate any innovations that come up in the MMO genre.
Old December 12 2009, 01:00 AM   #312
Tyson
Fleet Captain

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
The only single player like MMO being released is Bioware's upcoming Old Republic MMO which will include full voice-over for every NPC. Seems like Bioware's being more the innovator than Cryptic is.
Yeah, but Star Wars is for pussies; fuck it.
Old December 12 2009, 08:07 AM   #313
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

It comes down to budget. Star Wars The Old Republic is being bankrolled by LucasArts and they definitely want the game to be what they felt Star Wars galaxies should have been; so they have abiout 3 times the production budget. I realize in the end, all anyone cares about is whether STO is a good MMO or not, budget be damned - but nothing is made in a vaccum, and Bioware has more time and momey to develop SWTOR then Atari gave Cryptic to make STO.

Also, found a very well done fan made trailer for STO.
Old December 12 2009, 04:49 PM   #314
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

It's looking extremely doubtful that this game will be on consoles - at least, not any time soon. They originally announced Xbox/PS3 but I'm guessing it's going to be PC only.

Any word on how much the monthly fee will be? That continues to be one of the things that keeps me away from MMOs (in addition to the time commitment, which I just don't have). I find it annoying to have to fork out more cash every month to keep playing a game that I already bought once.
Old December 12 2009, 09:55 PM   #315
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Noname Given wrote: View Post
It comes down to budget. Star Wars The Old Republic is being bankrolled by LucasArts and they definitely want the game to be what they felt Star Wars galaxies should have been; so they have abiout 3 times the production budget. I realize in the end, all anyone cares about is whether STO is a good MMO or not, budget be damned - but nothing is made in a vaccum, and Bioware has more time and momey to develop SWTOR then Atari gave Cryptic to make STO.

Also, found a very well done fan made trailer for STO.

Well, budget or not, STO doesn't look like much of an inspired game. Doesn't even look like they're really trying to make STO to be different rather than applying new MMO foundations, in a way that would open up avenus for MMOs. Someone's got to be an innovator to move the genre forward. I would of liked to have had STO be the one, but looks to me like it's Bioware. At least it's doing something new and trying new things by going in a different direction.
Closed Thread