MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old May 17 2011, 01:01 AM   #3031
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Re: Star Trek: Online

I am so so on the Jupiter jackets. They all look rather meh. I rather sport a classic color scheme. So I have to wait and see what those unis look in red/blue/gold.
The belt however is pure WIN! I will swap the Wrath of Khan belt for this one!
Old May 17 2011, 01:41 AM   #3032
Vance
Vice Admiral

Well, finally broke down and tried it out. The USS Resolute was my Miranda/Centaur class vessel for the trial run, and then for most of Saturday night. Sunday I got the USS Van-something or other... and it felt GOOD to uprade my command.
Old May 17 2011, 01:43 AM   #3033
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Glad to hear that and hope you stick around.

P.S.: The TrekBBS Armada always needs capable young hotshot officers.
Old May 17 2011, 02:03 AM   #3034
Vance
Vice Admiral

Well, I got Capable and Hotshot... Young? Not so much...
Old May 17 2011, 06:12 AM   #3035
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

It's the internet. Noone will know.

You're a 18-year old girl, wink wink nudge nudge.
Old May 17 2011, 08:21 AM   #3036
Thlaylie
Lieutenant

They came out with a list of updates and immediately the forum whiners are crying about switching ships from your ship!

"Should only be shuttles whine."

Did they stop and think that maybe the mechanics of the game engine only allows either switching all ships from your ship or all ships from a station.

Other than that the updates look great, and June 7 for tribble launch.

Worried about the ground update though: How much cool stuff did they ruin?
Old May 17 2011, 09:28 AM   #3037
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Thlaylie wrote: View Post
They came out with a list of updates and immediately the forum whiners are crying about switching ships from your ship!

"Should only be shuttles whine."

Did they stop and think that maybe the mechanics of the game engine only allows either switching all ships from your ship or all ships from a station.

Other than that the updates look great, and June 7 for tribble launch.

Worried about the ground update though: How much cool stuff did they ruin?
Well the ground combat is one area where almost everyone wants a change.
Old May 17 2011, 10:59 AM   #3038
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

What's troubling me is the intention to raise the difficulty for Captain level mobs.
Those are the mobs with the sword-/daharmasters and other bolt spray pistol using captains.
Excuse me? These NPCs are regularly oneshotting my complete team when I play on advanced and now they will get MORE difficult via more HP?
How is this better?

The other ground changes sound potentially cool and manually aiming opens some interesting new tactical options.
If you don't like that change, don't use it. It's optional.
Old May 17 2011, 02:55 PM   #3039
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

Well, I am having a odd problem in the Davian<sp> missions, apparently the effects used by the boss on the first mission causes my video card or processor to go really hot, as I have a shutdown while fighting him. O well.... Guess that happens when you have a computer that is a few years old and you shoe-horned in a GT 250 video card.
Old May 17 2011, 04:23 PM   #3040
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Try reducing the bloom effect to it's lowest setting and lighting/shadow qualuty as well. What resolution are you playing on? I had a lot of game crashes and reduced it one resolution setting. Had no crashes since.
Old May 17 2011, 04:39 PM   #3041
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Distorted Humor wrote: View Post
Well, I am having a odd problem in the Davian<sp> missions, apparently the effects used by the boss on the first mission causes my video card or processor to go really hot, as I have a shutdown while fighting him. O well.... Guess that happens when you have a computer that is a few years old and you shoe-horned in a GT 250 video card.
There's a couple of ways to handle this that might work. Click your launcher; click options; and under 'Advanced Command Line' put:

-maxfps 60

^^^
This will cap your card's FPS output at 60 (the default in game is 120 and I've noticed even if you set it to 60 in the game options, sometimes it will still try to run at 120. The other thing is does is throotle the Cryptic engine process back a bit because the engine still trys to drive some of your internal GPU hardware to max; unless it see a hard FPS cap specified (been that way since beta, and even a few Devs commented on the situation bck then.) Sounds wierd; but back when I was using an Nvidia GT7950 and having heat issues in STO; that fixed it (upped to a GTX260 soon after launch though, but still keep the setting.)
Old May 17 2011, 05:38 PM   #3042
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

Will try that tonight, it was funny that I wasn't expecting a problem, but I will have to sit down, then run though the missions and get the rewards, and I want to sell one of them for a Runabout
Old May 17 2011, 07:24 PM   #3043
Scout101
Admiral

the rewards from some of those missions sell quite nicely. Made about 200k on a phaser strip...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old May 17 2011, 09:32 PM   #3044
Thlaylie
Lieutenant

Awesomeness!

"As part of an earnings report today, Atari announced it has divested its interest in Champions Online developer Cryptic Studios, calling the development house a "discontinued operation" as of March 31.

Atari will continue to support all current Cryptic products while the publisher looks to sell the studio, Gamasutra understands. Development on the Bay Area studio's Neverwinter project will continue as normal for the time being.

"In line with the previously stated strategy of fewer but more profitable releases and further expansion into casual online and mobile games, the Company has determined that external development creates more flexibility in the changing marketplace," Atari wrote in justifying the move.

The studio, which recently took Champions Online free-to-play, showed a €5.3 million ($7.5 million) loss for the 2010/11 fiscal year, up from a loss of €12.6 million ($17.9 million) the previous year.

Founded in 2000, Cryptic is well known for its City of Heroes/Villains and Star Trek Online MMOs. The studio has been part of Atari since a 2008 acquisition."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3...ic_Studios.php

Next C-Store item to be a Fork!
Old May 17 2011, 10:48 PM   #3045
Vance
Vice Admiral

Aeolusdallas wrote: View Post
Well the ground combat is one area where almost everyone wants a change.
Easy fix that would go a LONG way. Once you start attacking someone, it keeps attacking without having to click.. every.. single... time. The Starbase 24 rescue wears out my poor mouse-hand.
Closed Thread