Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old May 12 2011, 07:32 PM   #3016
Thlaylie
Lieutenant

Re: Star Trek: Online

Actually I prefer to fly the Prometheus. It's just sad we can't fly THE Iconic ship at end game is all.

I have the cane on both Toons, but will check out the shield and other goodies. (it's all that's left to do)
Old May 12 2011, 08:02 PM   #3017
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

syberghost wrote: View Post
Thlaylie wrote: View Post
Wonder why they picked TOS to start with?
Because we've been fans since before you were born, and we have more money than you.

Well I'm not as old as well alot of you but I'm willing to spend cash on TOS stuff.

Scout101 wrote: View Post
I'm honestly not so hung up on it that it's gonna ruin my day either way. Deep breaths...

Wanna fly a Connie? Fly one. Not as many slots for weapons, but you can fly it as a VA if you think it's ruining your role playing by using another ship...
Sure if you like blowing up every time something looks at you as none of the skill points spent on ships after Lt. for TOS or Lt. CMDR for TMP effect these ships in the slightest way meaning you have weak shields, hull, and weapons.

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Devidian FE staring today. Another chance to get the Ophidian Cane and the new phase shifted personal shield.
Meh, the personal shield isn't as cool as I though it would be. At least they left the ghostbuster rifle alone I'm glad to get that back.
Old May 12 2011, 08:59 PM   #3018
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

New twiiter tweets from DStahl (link)

With Pictures:

500 Day Vet Reward 'Jupiter Style' Uniform (link)

Outside of Star Fleet Academy (link)

Inside an office of Star Fleet Academy (link)

Edited to add: The STO Dev Heretic posted a Work in Progress (IE always subject to change prior to release) of the Duty Officer System UI (aka User Interface) (link) (If you right click on the picture from the Imageshack site and 'save as'; and then load it in your graphics viewer of choice, the graphic has sharper details.)

Starting to really look forward to the Season 4 Update.

Last edited by Noname Given; May 12 2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Added Doff system UI screenshot link
Old May 14 2011, 03:00 PM   #3019
Thlaylie
Lieutenant

That looks awesome, I wonder if they are customizable like BO's?
Old May 14 2011, 03:46 PM   #3020
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

From what the Devs are saying it sounds like that might be something we can do later, right now they are just getting the basic system up.
Old May 14 2011, 09:18 PM   #3021
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

They stated the Doff system adds another order of magnitude with regard to character and account data; so right now, what you get is what you get. You can't even change a Doff's name - as again you're going to have 20 active ones and a score of others to choose from in the wings, so while they would love to allow just that, the sheer amount of data stoprage needed to allow it makes it impossible at this time.

They did say that soon aftre the base Doff system is in and working; they'll add the 'Dept. Hread' system to it, where you can select one of your BO's to be a Dept. head, and have him/her gain an extra space power based on his/her staff, etc.

One small dissapointment just relayed though - The new faction neutral tutorial won't be ready for Season 4 launch; and as it was the first thing tied to the Frderation and Klingon Academy buildings, both will be delayed untl after Season 4 launches; and the new tutorial and level 1 - 5 content is ready to go. (DStahl said he's talk more about that situation when he posts the May Engineering Report (probably somethime next week.)

All the rest of Season 4 - including the new Doff system; the Ground Combat and ground item revamp, the Klingon Homeworld makeover (turning in into the First Imperial City) are set to go for testing on Tribble in early June; and Live late June to early July.
Old May 15 2011, 02:59 AM   #3022
Thlaylie
Lieutenant

The fighters are fun on Tribble.

I love the fighter pets

Can't wait for my attack Horta

Hope the forum whiners at STO don't ruin that. (yes, the pathetic snots are crying about "enslaving" a pile of pixels reassembling a fictitious sentient while ignoring their "attack" BOffs )
Old May 15 2011, 11:13 PM   #3023
Scout101
Admiral

Will say that the customer service for this game is pretty poor. Had two missions that wouldn't resolve in a patrol (did them twice each, got all the success screens, told objectives were complete, etc. but didn't get credit for them). Submitted trouble tickets, and an hour later someone tells me they "investigated" and cannot award me the completed mission. The entire dialog (including the congrats message) was still in my NPC chat screen, so not sure what they "investigated". Even quoted the whole thing in my response to their answer, still not getting it awarded to me.

If they can't handle something that simple, not expecting much if I had any ACTUAL problems with the game. Can't even help with something simple, with no reward worth mentioning in play, and with the proof still on my screen....
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old May 16 2011, 03:05 AM   #3024
Thlaylie
Lieutenant

I've had a lot of weird glitches as well, but as you noticed, ticketing them is futile. Once I couldn't type in the Exchange? A restart of the game fixes most glitches but...
Old May 16 2011, 03:16 AM   #3025
syberghost
Commander

View syberghost's Twitter Profile

Will say that the customer service for this game is pretty poor. Had two missions that wouldn't resolve in a patrol (did them twice each, got all the success screens, told objectives were complete, etc. but didn't get credit for them). Submitted trouble tickets, and an hour later someone tells me they "investigated" and cannot award me the completed mission. The entire dialog (including the congrats message) was still in my NPC chat screen, so not sure what they "investigated". Even quoted the whole thing in my response to their answer, still not getting it awarded to me.
The customer service folks physically don't have the ability to grant mission completion. They don't write the code, what do you expect them to do?

Other MMOs won't do that for you either. Even WoW, with the biggest budget and best CS tools in the industry, doesn't give CS the ability to do that, and won't bother escalating. You file a bug report and the developers will try to fix whatever caused it not to complete. That's all you can reasonably expect of them.
Old May 16 2011, 11:45 AM   #3026
Scout101
Admiral

Then they should probably fix their automated script so that the response doesn't say that they've investigated it and cannot find enough evidence to grant me the completed status, huh? Or do they not write that code, either?

Not expecting them to fix the code on the fly, but how is there NOT some sort of admin-level privilege that could allow them to do things like set a mission status to completed? If they can't do something that basic, what sort of things CAN they do? Is there any reason to even submit problems, or should we just suck them up and ignore them?

In this case, I've completed a mission, not been granted the win, and then completed it again, and still not gotten it. If they can't fix it, what should I reasonably do? Keep beating my head against that wall?
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
Old May 16 2011, 11:52 AM   #3027
syberghost
Commander

In this case, I've completed a mission, not been granted the win, and then completed it again, and still not gotten it. If they can't fix it, what should I reasonably do? Keep beating my head against that wall?
You should reasonably file a bug report, which captures information about your account that contributes to isolating and fixing the bug. Then you should skip that mission if it's not working for you. There's plenty to do in place of it.

Or, if you like, you could keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result, and complain about people who don't have the power to fix the problem.

Giving CS folks, who are low-wage high-turnover employees doing high-volume work, the ability to make account changes that result in item and currency creation is a recipe for in-game economic disaster and rampant cheating. That's why nobody does it anymore. There were some high-profile examples of cheating, and long about the time City of Heroes and World of Warcraft were being developed, the industry as a whole abandoned the practice.
Old May 16 2011, 03:25 PM   #3028
Scout101
Admiral

syberghost wrote: View Post
You should reasonably file a bug report, which captures information about your account that contributes to isolating and fixing the bug. Then you should skip that mission if it's not working for you. There's plenty to do in place of it.
Agreed, and I did. Of course, the thing for bug reports says upfront that they won't do anything to fix YOUR problem, but they'll look at what's going on to see if they can fix it overall. Hardly satisfying at a personal level...

Or, if you like, you could keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result, and complain about people who don't have the power to fix the problem.
That's the crux of the problem, though. Clearly a problem, and if not the CUSTOMER SERVICE people, who should have the power to correct problems the customer is receiving?

At the very least, it's bad form to use a canned message saying they investigated the problem and are unable to verify my problem or correct it. Makes them look indifferent or incompetant, take your pick. If they at least said they don't have the power to do that, and recommend I drop the mission and retry it if I want to complete it, it would at least be vaild (if frustrating) advice.

They also suggested I check out the forums and see if other customers had advice. Pretty clear they didn't even look at what I was talking about, as it seems unlikely a user on the forum can debug my code for me Even worse, since i did a quick search and it appears that talking about bugs or CS tickets gets your post closed or deleted...

Giving CS folks, who are low-wage high-turnover employees doing high-volume work, the ability to make account changes that result in item and currency creation is a recipe for in-game economic disaster and rampant cheating. That's why nobody does it anymore. There were some high-profile examples of cheating, and long about the time City of Heroes and World of Warcraft were being developed, the industry as a whole abandoned the practice.
Then maybe they shouldn't take those categories of complaints as tickets? It's infuriating that they have the category, you go through the process, and then tell you they looked at it and can't verify my complaint. Especially when you open the ticket by pasting in the entire dialog of the completed mission. And if the Cryptic workers can't be trusted to do their jobs, there's another problem. And should be grounds for termination if a review finds out they are enabling cheating...
Old May 16 2011, 06:43 PM   #3029
syberghost
Commander

[QUOTE=Scout101;4968042][QUOTE=syberghost;4967732]
Agreed, and I did. Of course, the thing for bug reports says upfront that they won't do anything to fix YOUR problem, but they'll look at what's going on to see if they can fix it overall. Hardly satisfying at a personal level...
No, it doesn't at all say that. It says they'll fix THE problem, which is that mission not always granting completion.

That's the crux of the problem, though. Clearly a problem, and if not the CUSTOMER SERVICE people, who should have the power to correct problems the customer is receiving?
The developers should have the power to correct the bug; NOBODY should have the power to grant you the mission completion. When the bug is fixed, you can go do the mission.

At the very least, it's bad form to use a canned message saying they investigated the problem and are unable to verify my problem or correct it.
A necessary evil of $15/month price points. It's industry-standard form for a reason.

They also suggested I check out the forums and see if other customers had advice. Pretty clear they didn't even look at what I was talking about, as it seems unlikely a user on the forum can debug my code for me Even worse, since i did a quick search and it appears that talking about bugs or CS tickets gets your post closed or deleted...
That's what you get for doing a quick search instead of a thorough one. Bitching about CS will get your thread closed, yes; talking about a bug in the appropriate forums will not. And you'd be surprised how often the forums DO have the solution to a problem like this, although they might not for your specific one.

Then maybe they shouldn't take those categories of complaints as tickets?
They don't. There are things that can happen in missions that GMs can help you with, such as being stuck in geometry that the /stuck command doesn't fix. What they are not allowed to do is create SP, currency, or items, all of which would be done by awarding you mission completion. WHY you want it done isn't relevant. Whether or not you earned it isn't relevant. What's relevant is giving them the power to do that opens up cans of worms that eventually destroy the credibility of companies. CCP still hasn't fully recovered from what happened when their folks abused this power.

As for the developers who DO have the technical capability of performing that work doing it for you; their time is better spent fixing the bug so it doesn't happen again. When they get around to that is based on a number of factors:

1) How many people are affected by the bug.
2) How much work would be required to fix it?
3) What else might or would break to fix it?
4) Is there a workaround that is generally available to players?

Sometimes they just yank a mission clear out instead of fixing it. Sometimes they leave the bug in place because some other bug wouldn't get fixed if they fixed this one instead, that affects more people.

In this case, it doesn't affect many people, and there is no story progression blocked by failure to complete it. It's probably way, way down the list of their priorities. You can move on without it. Once they fix it, you can complete the mission in a short period of time.
Old May 16 2011, 11:13 PM   #3030
syberghost
Commander

Matt Highison has posted pics of the 500 day Veteran Rewards jacket and belt, and what that reward adds to the other Jupiter uniforms if you buy that uniform pack.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...70#post3542070

IMHO the vet reward gets the best jacket of the set.
Closed Thread