Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old January 7 2011, 02:49 AM   #2056
Destructor
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: Online

Alpha Romeo wrote: View Post
Bishop76 wrote: View Post
Sounds like they've done a lot of work. I'm still a bit skeptical. See, I want to like this game - really, I do - it just wasn't a $15/month experience when I played it.

Maybe once I get bored with Cataclysm, I'll swing back in and give it a try for a month if it isn't free to play by then.
Let me get this straight: you're criticizing a game you've barely played and obviously known nothing about? Ok got it...thanks.
Well, he DID get to RA5, which is further than I've gotten, and I'm a big fan! (just one with not a lot of time on his hands, boh)
Old January 7 2011, 03:40 AM   #2057
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Aeolusdallas wrote: View Post
Well, I do find that people disagree with my subjective statements a bit more than my objective. So, what have they done to improve it? My experience with it was that I levelled very quickly to RA5 (I believe they've gone beyond that now) and there was no endgame content other than a few dailies that got real old, real fast. I did try the first "episode" of content, but was just as unimpressed.

It's not an all around failure of a game - the ship combat is pretty tight, but it fails in almost every other regard. The away team missions are abysmal, the quests are uninspired, and even the stories that I have seen were almost embarrassing.

So, again, sell me on it. What has made it a better game?
Lets see there are the new sector maps which are beautiful. The weekly missions which really are amazing. The replay missions, several of which have new rewards.. The TOS hand weapons, the massive number of new ships, uniforms etc...
The Diplomacy missions are a nice distraction and the new crafting system is so much better than the old.
Really all of the season 3 stuff is way above and beyond what one normally expects for an MMO in the first year.
Then there is the foundry system which is still in beta but shaping up nicely.

My brother is going nuts over the new Gorn ship and is bouncing off the walls waiting for the new Gorn character customization to hit live.

EDIT and by new sector maps I mean all of the sectors were redone.
Hey about the TOS weapons are the ones you get for the devidian weeklies ie the phaser rifle and phaser II going the way of the breen officer?
Old January 7 2011, 03:45 AM   #2058
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Well, I do find that people disagree with my subjective statements a bit more than my objective. So, what have they done to improve it? My experience with it was that I levelled very quickly to RA5 (I believe they've gone beyond that now) and there was no endgame content other than a few dailies that got real old, real fast. I did try the first "episode" of content, but was just as unimpressed.

It's not an all around failure of a game - the ship combat is pretty tight, but it fails in almost every other regard. The away team missions are abysmal, the quests are uninspired, and even the stories that I have seen were almost embarrassing.

So, again, sell me on it. What has made it a better game?
Lets see there are the new sector maps which are beautiful. The weekly missions which really are amazing. The replay missions, several of which have new rewards.. The TOS hand weapons, the massive number of new ships, uniforms etc...
The Diplomacy missions are a nice distraction and the new crafting system is so much better than the old.
Really all of the season 3 stuff is way above and beyond what one normally expects for an MMO in the first year.

My brother is going nuts over the new Gorn ship and is bouncing off the walls waiting for the new Gorn character customization to hit live.

Hey about the TOS weapons are the ones you get for the devidian weeklies ie the phaser rifle and phaser II going the way of the breen officer?
No and you get more on replay. It's the staff that is the bonus.
Old January 7 2011, 03:48 PM   #2059
Bird of Prey
Fleet Captain

Has anyone encountered an issue where items they post on the exchange just disappear? I was on the official forums, and apparently this has been happening where items expire, but instead of being mailed back to you, they just disappear and you lose them. From what I've read, the devs are aware of this issue, but until it's resolved, I've pulled all my stuff from the exchange.
Old January 7 2011, 04:38 PM   #2060
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Cool, I can live with not getting vampire powers, but I was planning on doing a TOS type character at some point.

The Grinch wrote: View Post
Has anyone encountered an issue where items they post on the exchange just disappear? I was on the official forums, and apparently this has been happening where items expire, but instead of being mailed back to you, they just disappear and you lose them. From what I've read, the devs are aware of this issue, but until it's resolved, I've pulled all my stuff from the exchange.
Did not know about that, I guess I'll have to wait untill this is fixed before I start selling excess bridge officers on the exchange again.
Old January 7 2011, 05:13 PM   #2061
Bird of Prey
Fleet Captain

Did not know about that, I guess I'll have to wait untill this is fixed before I start selling excess bridge officers on the exchange again.
How do you sell excess bridge officers? I have a bunch of them that I want to get rid of.
Old January 7 2011, 06:12 PM   #2062
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

Cool, I can live with not getting vampire powers, but I was planning on doing a TOS type character at some point.
The numbers say they shouldn't be as good as the more modern weapons, but for some reason my landing party and I are mowing down opponents of equal grade. Those weapons and practically everything in those latter Devidian missions were well done; can't wait for when Cryptic releases the TOS bridge. Didn't I also hear they were going to release a refit/upgrade for the TOS Constitution but are holding off on it?
Old January 7 2011, 06:12 PM   #2063
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

How do you sell excess bridge officers? I have a bunch of them that I want to get rid of.
Either left click on the sell tab and look for the bridge officer you want to put up for sell or click U and click on the assignments tab and drag the officer you want to sell to the sell tab. You can also mail officers to other characters on your account using similar methods with the attachment tabs on the mail screen when it's accessed a major starbase.
Old January 7 2011, 07:46 PM   #2064
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Not saying it doesn't happen (things glitch all the time); but I just had 5 items 'returned' from the Exchange. One change they DID make - before, the items would return to your account, and ANY character could pick them up. Now, the items are returned to the actual character that put them up (and if you in th interim deleted that character, I don't know what would happen.)
Old January 7 2011, 08:20 PM   #2065
syberghost
Commander

View syberghost's Twitter Profile

Because it's player base is tiny and getting smaller all the time.
This idea was pronounced wrong by StormShade on the forums earlier this week. He says subs are in fact up and increasing.
Old January 7 2011, 08:22 PM   #2066
syberghost
Commander

First off, no companies release their subscription numbers - they're all based on speculation. But, at launch estimates had them at 1 million subscribers, which was down to 100k after 3 months.
The 1 million subs thing was also pronounced garbage by Cryptic employees, numerous times. They never had it and never claimed they had it.
Old January 7 2011, 08:24 PM   #2067
syberghost
Commander

BTW, anybody who thinks STO is going to go F2P should probably look at Atari's financials. Cryptic Studios represents 43% of the entire company's revenues.
Old January 7 2011, 08:32 PM   #2068
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Rat Boy wrote: View Post
The numbers say they shouldn't be as good as the more modern weapons, but for some reason my landing party and I are mowing down opponents of equal grade. Those weapons and practically everything in those latter Devidian missions were well done; can't wait for when Cryptic releases the TOS bridge. Didn't I also hear they were going to release a refit/upgrade for the TOS Constitution but are holding off on it?
Well they level with you and the pistols are always blue quality stun phasers.
Old January 7 2011, 08:39 PM   #2069
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Again, I really don't care what Cryptic people have to say about their sub numbers. It is not in their interests to release them and any time a company talks about their sub numbers it's usually a load of bull shit. I mean, do you really believe WoW has 12 million subscribers? I don't. It's creative fudging of numbers to portray themselves in a more positive light.

And while Cryptic may be 43% of Atari's revenue, how does that 43% break down? That could be 98% Champions and 2% Star Trek - these numbers mean nothing without OTHER more defining numbers. And what makes up the other 57%? As far as I know Atari isn't exactly rocking the video game world with its IPs so Cryptic making up 43% of that may not be so very impressive especially given that Cryptic has multiple properties that produce continual income.
Old January 7 2011, 08:49 PM   #2070
syberghost
Commander

And while Cryptic may be 43% of Atari's revenue, how does that 43% break down? That could be 98% Champions and 2% Star Trek - these numbers mean nothing without OTHER more defining numbers.
So, your contention is that they turned the wildly successful game into F2P, and left the struggling one monthly. Riiiiiiiiiight....

Cryptic is keeping Atari's doors open. STO is keeping Cryptic's doors open. The people who *KNOW* the numbers say yours are crap. As sources you cite podcast speculation. I'm sorry, you saying "it's in their interest to lie" isn't proof of your claims, it's not even evidence of them. It's in your interest to lie too, but nobody's saying *YOU* are lying; we're just saying you're wrong.
Closed Thread