To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old November 18 2010, 04:08 PM   #1921
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Re: Star Trek: Online

That's good to know. Thank you. STO is my first MMO so I wasn't sure I could just pick up where I left off.
Old November 19 2010, 06:44 AM   #1922
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
That's good to know. Thank you. STO is my first MMO so I wasn't sure I could just pick up where I left off.
Yep - I've yet to hear of an MMO that deletes ANY characters as they realize that people may stop their subscription for a time; but come back later, and they want you to be able to pick up right where you left off.

That said, the Season 3 Update is about a month away (already being tested on the Tribble test server); and it's adding a fair amount of new and updated stuff (Sector Space looks downright georgeous with 'Astrometics Disabled'); so you might want to hold off coming back until mid-December. I am not kidding when I say that if you disable Astrometrics - when you fly into sector space, it'll feel like a different/brand new game.
Old November 19 2010, 07:21 AM   #1923
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

I saw a video for that on YouTube and it did indeed look awesome. I didn't even mind Sector Space before since I just used it as an opportunity to practice my flying. I'm looking forward to flying in the new improved Sector Space.
Old November 19 2010, 07:02 PM   #1924
Kadratis
Fleet Captain

I such a cheapskate...

I'm crossing my fingers that the monthly subscription fee changes soon. I made the mistake of buying the limited edition on day one without thinking (MMOs aren't exactly best on release day). I played recently during the free-play weekend where previous members could play for free to see if they wanted to rejoin. $15/monthly is just a bit too much for me with money being tight due to the economy and all. $10 would be perfect. Maybe they'll have a Christmas discount?

Old November 19 2010, 07:18 PM   #1925
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

I've never heard of an MMO reducing the monthly subscription fee. Sure, it might have happened, but I've never heard of it. That said, don't hold your breath that ST:O will lower theirs anytime soon.
Old November 19 2010, 07:57 PM   #1926
Commodore_Rook
Lieutenant Commander

The only way you are going to pay $10 a month is if you get the year sub for $120.
Old November 19 2010, 10:11 PM   #1927
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Yep - I've yet to hear of an MMO that deletes ANY characters as they realize that people may stop their subscription for a time; but come back later, and they want you to be able to pick up right where you left off.

That said, the Season 3 Update is about a month away (already being tested on the Tribble test server); and it's adding a fair amount of new and updated stuff (Sector Space looks downright georgeous with 'Astrometics Disabled'); so you might want to hold off coming back until mid-December. I am not kidding when I say that if you disable Astrometrics - when you fly into sector space, it'll feel like a different/brand new game.
According to the calendar-thing their releasing it in the first two weeks of December.
Old November 20 2010, 10:58 PM   #1928
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

No more weekly episodes, just the big update within a month?
Old November 20 2010, 11:37 PM   #1929
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
I think the third batch of weekly episodes will start in January.
Old November 21 2010, 06:36 AM   #1930
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Yes that is the plan. The weekly episodes are going to be an ongoing thing.
Old November 21 2010, 07:38 PM   #1931
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

They have the next Featured episode series in planning, and will continue with them. The focus now howerver is to get the Season 3 update polished and ready for launch and to avoid a reapet of the Season 2 launch, whhich was honestly VERY bug ridden. If you haven't checked out the new Sector Space soming in Season 3; you should hop on Tribble and take a look as the Devs (imo) hit one out of the park on that. Also, the new Klingon patrols (where you have optional objectives; and the Klingons raid supply depots for anomolies used in crafting - which the KDF has access to now, starting with Season 3), are good. They also revamped the Remote Contact interface; so it's easier to read and see just what your contacts are offering.

That said, there's still a number of major bugs they need to fix (and the KDF zone in to the Pi Canis sector which they just opened to the KDF) is a major one; but I think the Season 3 update adds A LOT to the game; and don't mind a delay the next feature series to get it ready for release myself.
Old November 21 2010, 09:28 PM   #1932
Commodore_Rook
Lieutenant Commander

Noname Given wrote: View Post
They have the next Featured episode series in planning, and will continue with them. The focus now howerver is to get the Season 3 update polished and ready for launch and to avoid a reapet of the Season 2 launch, whhich was honestly VERY bug ridden. If you haven't checked out the new Sector Space soming in Season 3; you should hop on Tribble and take a look as the Devs (imo) hit one out of the park on that. Also, the new Klingon patrols (where you have optional objectives; and the Klingons raid supply depots for anomolies used in crafting - which the KDF has access to now, starting with Season 3), are good. They also revamped the Remote Contact interface; so it's easier to read and see just what your contacts are offering.

That said, there's still a number of major bugs they need to fix (and the KDF zone in to the Pi Canis sector which they just opened to the KDF) is a major one; but I think the Season 3 update adds A LOT to the game; and don't mind a delay the next feature series to get it ready for release myself.
Yes, much like TNG, Season three STO is really going to shine!!! It is finally becoming the game it was ment to be!!! Just imagine what Seasons 4 & 5 (and beyond) will do for the game?? I think with the sector space fix, I am going to bite the bullet and buy the lifetime sub to show my support!

Last edited by Commodore_Rook; November 21 2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old November 21 2010, 10:05 PM   #1933
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Kadratis wrote: View Post
I such a cheapskate...

I'm crossing my fingers that the monthly subscription fee changes soon. I made the mistake of buying the limited edition on day one without thinking (MMOs aren't exactly best on release day). I played recently during the free-play weekend where previous members could play for free to see if they wanted to rejoin. $15/monthly is just a bit too much for me with money being tight due to the economy and all. $10 would be perfect. Maybe they'll have a Christmas discount?

Monthly MMO fees have not really changed in a decade. 14.99 is the industry standard. Excepting free to play and a handful of kiddie games.
Old November 21 2010, 10:15 PM   #1934
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

14.99 isn't really an unreasonable price. For me that means skipping Wendy's chicken club combo meal twice a month in order to play STO. Not a bad trade. Just means I eat a sandwich on those days instead.
Old November 21 2010, 11:07 PM   #1935
Aeolusdallas
Captain

14.99 isn't really an unreasonable price. For me that means skipping Wendy's chicken club combo meal twice a month in order to play STO. Not a bad trade. Just means I eat a sandwich on those days instead.
That was my feeling even 10 years ago. I spend more a week on coffee or sodas. As entertainment goes it's cheap. 1 night at the movies, a night at a pub or renting a few movies on OnDemand all cost more. The Cable bill is almost 10 times as much
Closed Thread