RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,174
Posts: 5,435,499
Members: 24,945
Currently online: 584
Newest member: Adm Nogura

TrekToday headlines

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old September 2 2010, 05:25 PM   #1666
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen
 
CaptainStoner's Avatar
 
Location: Hill dweller
Re: Star Trek: Online

I tried out the game last night, picked it up via direct2drive and was downloaded and patched within 1 1/2 hours.

I'm still learning the interface. My only initial gripe is I'm surprised that there's only 2 character slots! Does this mean that when the Klingon side unlocks, I'll only be able to have 1 Federation character? They're harming their own business by the 2 character limitation.

Anyway, for now I've got it almost completely maxed out at 1920x1080 with x2 AA, and it's smooth sailing on the Radeon 5770. I've read there may be crash problems on away missions with dynamic lighting on 5xxx cards, but we'll see. The visuals are a real treat with it cranked up.

I had one good multiplayer moment in the intro, when you go to fight some Borg around the warp core. Another player and I were starting to get hosed by all the Borg when I discovered you could jump in between a barrier and the warp core, and come around the other side to where the CE is. We killed a lot of Borg, but they never stop coming, and apparently you're supposed to abandon the CE at this point.

So far overall it compares favorably with LOTRO, but is more varied with the bridge crew & ship.
CaptainStoner is offline  
Old September 2 2010, 05:54 PM   #1667
Alpha Romeo
Vice Admiral
 
Alpha Romeo's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: Star Trek: Online

Blamo wrote: View Post
Okay, I've tried out a tier 3 Excelsior on Tribble and I've got to say I like it. Combat wise there's no real improvement, with equipment and station slots staying the same as the normal heavy cruiser.
Is the excelsior model one you need to buy or is it standard?
__________________
"Kirk would have fucked the cold dead skull of the Borg Queen when it was all over."
Alpha Romeo is offline  
Old September 2 2010, 05:58 PM   #1668
Noname Given
Vice Admiral
 
Location: None Given
Re: Star Trek: Online

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
like i said, i liked the game. i guess i just feel its a little too combat heavy. i'm reading The Path to 2409 on the STO site and while its interesting and the back story has a lot of intrigue it just seems to come down as all space battles.

still, STO hasn't even been around for very long so i'll give it the benefit of the doubt. i'll end up buying it in a week or so most likely.
Bottom line - yes it's combat heavy; (it's honestly the staple of the majority of MMOs).

But as stated they currently have some episode diplomatic missions and 8 new 'open story' diplomatic missions that are actually more than just 'click and read' - and they plan to continue expanding that. There are also two mini games (one for scanning anomolies); and you can actually play Dabo at DS9 for Gold Pressed Latinum (which can currently be used to buy holo-emitters that change the look of you ship - with more items coming to that 'store'; and a new Breen encounter mission on the Tribble Test server that has an option of using some of the GPL you may have acquired.)

Also, I think the box is now $20.00 or so, and comes with 30 days gametime; so honestly, it's not all that expensive if you give the retail a shot, and find it's too much combat for you. The other nice thing is that development of the game will continue, and in 6 months or a year later, if you see they've added something that piques your interest, you can come back, sub for a month and pickup with whatever characters you had right where you left off.
Noname Given is offline  
Old September 2 2010, 06:02 PM   #1669
Noname Given
Vice Admiral
 
Location: None Given
Re: Star Trek: Online

Alpha Romeo wrote: View Post
Blamo wrote: View Post
Okay, I've tried out a tier 3 Excelsior on Tribble and I've got to say I like it. Combat wise there's no real improvement, with equipment and station slots staying the same as the normal heavy cruiser.
Is the excelsior model one you need to buy or is it standard?

The T3 (STIII: TSFS) Excelsior is available for player Energy Credits in game. The T5 refit RA/VA1 version (ST:GEN/DS9 "Paradise Lost") Excelsior is a C-Store item for 1200CP (aka $13.00 U.S.)
Noname Given is offline  
Old September 2 2010, 06:04 PM   #1670
Noname Given
Vice Admiral
 
Location: None Given
Re: Star Trek: Online

CaptainStoner wrote: View Post
I tried out the game last night, picked it up via direct2drive and was downloaded and patched within 1 1/2 hours.

I'm still learning the interface. My only initial gripe is I'm surprised that there's only 2 character slots! Does this mean that when the Klingon side unlocks, I'll only be able to have 1 Federation character? They're harming their own business by the 2 character limitation.

Anyway, for now I've got it almost completely maxed out at 1920x1080 with x2 AA, and it's smooth sailing on the Radeon 5770. I've read there may be crash problems on away missions with dynamic lighting on 5xxx cards, but we'll see. The visuals are a real treat with it cranked up.

I had one good multiplayer moment in the intro, when you go to fight some Borg around the warp core. Another player and I were starting to get hosed by all the Borg when I discovered you could jump in between a barrier and the warp core, and come around the other side to where the CE is. We killed a lot of Borg, but they never stop coming, and apparently you're supposed to abandon the CE at this point.

So far overall it compares favorably with LOTRO, but is more varied with the bridge crew & ship.
When you unlock Klingons (at LT6); you'll also unlock another character slot on your account that can be used for another (either faction) character. So in the end, you'll have 3 character slots base.
Noname Given is offline  
Old September 2 2010, 07:11 PM   #1671
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen
 
CaptainStoner's Avatar
 
Location: Hill dweller
Re: Star Trek: Online

^ I guess the limitation isn't that big a deal. If I reach a point where I've got 3 characters maxed out, and want to start another, I should probably delete the game and get some work done!
CaptainStoner is offline  
Old September 2 2010, 07:12 PM   #1672
I Am The Walrus
Rear Admiral
 
I Am The Walrus's Avatar
 
Location: Saga
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to I Am The Walrus Send a message via Yahoo to I Am The Walrus
Re: Star Trek: Online

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
like i said, i liked the game. i guess i just feel its a little too combat heavy. i'm reading The Path to 2409 on the STO site and while its interesting and the back story has a lot of intrigue it just seems to come down as all space battles.

still, STO hasn't even been around for very long so i'll give it the benefit of the doubt. i'll end up buying it in a week or so most likely.
Bottom line - yes it's combat heavy; (it's honestly the staple of the majority of MMOs).

But as stated they currently have some episode diplomatic missions and 8 new 'open story' diplomatic missions that are actually more than just 'click and read' - and they plan to continue expanding that. There are also two mini games (one for scanning anomolies); and you can actually play Dabo at DS9 for Gold Pressed Latinum (which can currently be used to buy holo-emitters that change the look of you ship - with more items coming to that 'store'; and a new Breen encounter mission on the Tribble Test server that has an option of using some of the GPL you may have acquired.)

Also, I think the box is now $20.00 or so, and comes with 30 days gametime; so honestly, it's not all that expensive if you give the retail a shot, and find it's too much combat for you. The other nice thing is that development of the game will continue, and in 6 months or a year later, if you see they've added something that piques your interest, you can come back, sub for a month and pickup with whatever characters you had right where you left off.
very logical. thanks for the input.
I Am The Walrus is offline  
Old September 2 2010, 08:38 PM   #1673
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Star Trek: Online

Made captain with my Klingon alt tonight, and I have to say:

There may be only a few klingon episodes so far, but boy, do they rock!
As if competing and winning in the Bat'leth tournament from Parallels wasn't enough, you also get to raid Utopia Planitia with a fleet of BoPs.
And then the Commander/Captain episodes...wow, just wow.
Storming Gre'thor? Getting to fight Molor and even Fek'lhr himself?
Khaless rewarding you with a Bat'leth forged in the image of the legendary Sword of Khaless, that even scales with your level?
Epic.

I shudder to think what else they've got in store for our favourite warriors.
I hear season three will be a polish of the game and includes fleshing out Klingon PvE-content?
Ayelbourne is offline  
Old September 2 2010, 09:14 PM   #1674
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man
 
Rainbow Dash's Avatar
 
Location: J. Allen's House
Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: Star Trek: Online

^ That's what they're saying. It makes me want to logon to my Klingon alt and level him up a bit more.
__________________
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Rainbow Dash is offline  
Old September 2 2010, 10:18 PM   #1675
syberghost
Commander
 
syberghost's Avatar
 
Location: STO official forums community moderator emeritus
View syberghost's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Online

CaptainStoner wrote: View Post
^ I guess the limitation isn't that big a deal. If I reach a point where I've got 3 characters maxed out, and want to start another, I should probably delete the game and get some work done!
Keep in mind the game stores a LOT more data for a character than most games. Most games, all you've got is your character and a few gear slots and talents, each of which is a single number in the character record.

An STO character has multiple customizable ships, each composed of half as much stored data as, say, a World of Warcraft character. Plus you've got a great deal of customization in the looks, and you've got up to a dozen bridge offices, each full of looks customization.

Rekhan once posted on the forums that three STO character records use up a total of about as much as 48 characters in most MMOs, and most cap you right around that point. So, if you want more than three character slots, they make you pay a little extra, so that everybody else doesn't have to pay more to cover the people who want more characters.

Extra slots are available in the C-Store. You can buy 2 for 500 points, or 4 for 850 points. That's a one-time charge of about $6.25 or $10.63. Not bad for a permanent upgrade.
syberghost is offline  
Old September 2 2010, 10:57 PM   #1676
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Star Trek: Online

syberghost wrote: View Post
CaptainStoner wrote: View Post
^ I guess the limitation isn't that big a deal. If I reach a point where I've got 3 characters maxed out, and want to start another, I should probably delete the game and get some work done!
Keep in mind the game stores a LOT more data for a character than most games. Most games, all you've got is your character and a few gear slots and talents, each of which is a single number in the character record.

An STO character has multiple customizable ships, each composed of half as much stored data as, say, a World of Warcraft character. Plus you've got a great deal of customization in the looks, and you've got up to a dozen bridge offices, each full of looks customization.

Rekhan once posted on the forums that three STO character records use up a total of about as much as 48 characters in most MMOs, and most cap you right around that point. So, if you want more than three character slots, they make you pay a little extra, so that everybody else doesn't have to pay more to cover the people who want more characters.

Extra slots are available in the C-Store. You can buy 2 for 500 points, or 4 for 850 points. That's a one-time charge of about $6.25 or $10.63. Not bad for a permanent upgrade.
Actually if you got the lifetime subscription during preorder you got two extra character slots and until September 7 it's 20% off on everything except the Excelsior retrofit so you can get character slots for less points.
Hartzilla2007 is offline  
Old September 3 2010, 08:34 AM   #1677
Aeolusdallas
Captain
 
Re: Star Trek: Online

Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post
syberghost wrote: View Post
Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post
See, STO is more like a single player game where you can meet up with others online. It's an MMO, but not really an MMO in the traditional sense.
I don't know, what you've described there is also how most people play most MMORPGs until endgame. And for that matter, how half of 'em play endgame.

Most people don't group through their leveling in WoW, either; it causes you to miss a lot of storyline. They solo level, and group for instances, heroics, and raids.

STO is the same; there's just not much endgame raiding yet other than 5-man equivalents of Heroics. Yet.
The biggest difference between WoW and STO is the instancing. WoW has dungeon instances but players can still meet up anywhere on the server. STO does it everywhere, and it's difficult to stay in a group with STO as the instances don't really recognize groups, they just split you off.
true but wow have scores and scores of servers and your friends could be scattered all over the place. As Wow has been out for years it makes finding out new friends of yours play rather frustrating because if that happenes to you it costs money to switch servers. With the STO model you can play with anyone you want who also plays.

Hopefully as STO matures they will be able to raise the number of people per instance to Wow levels. In wow you almost never have more than 100 people in any one area and when you do (Ironforge I am looking at you) you get lagstorm
Aeolusdallas is offline  
Old September 3 2010, 01:22 PM   #1678
Trek
Fleet Captain
 
Trek's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek: Online

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Actually if you got the lifetime subscription during preorder you got two extra character slots and until September 7 it's 20% off on everything except the Excelsior retrofit so you can get character slots for less points.
You also got the extra character slots if you did a 1-year subscription (like I did).
__________________
TrekBBS Armada
STO Captains (@Trek88): Lex, Foxton, Zylah, Sh'Rrth, Riku, Saundra
Author: The Adventures of Argus
Twitter: @Trek88
Trek is offline  
Old September 3 2010, 02:15 PM   #1679
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Star Trek: Online

Trek wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Actually if you got the lifetime subscription during preorder you got two extra character slots and until September 7 it's 20% off on everything except the Excelsior retrofit so you can get character slots for less points.
You also got the extra character slots if you did a 1-year subscription (like I did).
I went with the lifetime myself, now I only have to pay them if I want stuff from the C-store.

Also you get an extra character slot if your account is active for 300 days.
Hartzilla2007 is offline  
Old September 3 2010, 03:10 PM   #1680
Alpha Romeo
Vice Admiral
 
Alpha Romeo's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: Star Trek: Online

You guys have any suggestions for leveling faster? I am at LTCDR 10 and been there for a bit.
__________________
"Kirk would have fucked the cold dead skull of the Borg Queen when it was all over."
Alpha Romeo is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
mmorpg, star trek online

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.