Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old November 19 2008, 08:01 AM   #1
tranya
Commander

View tranya's Twitter Profile
Star Trek: Online

Any discussions of this upcoming game anywhere? I haven't seen a thread yet, and I'm a little surprised. Am I missing something?
Old November 20 2008, 02:17 AM   #2
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

Re: Star Trek: Online

There have been several down below, but no action in them recently. The more I see of this game, the more I like.
Old November 20 2008, 04:58 PM   #3
tranya
Commander

View tranya's Twitter Profile

I'm excited, just to see how in the world each player having their own ship will translate in the game. Having a "crew" being a series of pets is a weird but interesting choice.
Old November 21 2008, 03:04 AM   #4
Darren2001
Captain

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?p=2171218

Back in time : Enterprise http://bitent.cjb.net

Old December 2 2008, 12:29 AM   #5
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

tranya wrote: View Post
I'm excited, just to see how in the world each player having their own ship will translate in the game. Having a "crew" being a series of pets is a weird but interesting choice.
Given the difficulties of coordinating an actual "crew" of real players in an MMO (which was the original plan, IIRC), it seems to me that it's the best choice. I think the whole "every player is a captain" approach is the best way to go.

I'm really, really worried that this game is going to be good. Because then I might end up buying it. And then my wife would leave me because of all the time I waste on STO.
Old December 16 2008, 05:41 AM   #6
Alex1939
Captain

If it's comparable to City of Heroes, City of Villains (which I believe are the people designing it)... then it's going to be real damn good.

I think character creation will be one the amazing parts of the game. I think every person you encounter will look fairly unique.
Old April 1 2009, 03:40 PM   #7
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Star Trek: Online developer chat

IGN Vault hosted its first voice developer chat on Voon last night with developers from Star Trek Online, Cryptic's much-awaited upcoming MMO. Executive Producer Craig Zinkievich was on hand to answer the fans’ questions, along with STO’s director for Community Management Nicole “Awen” Hamlett. We have a full transcript of the chat and you can also download and listen to the audio file, or read highlights with streaming audio.
as mentioned earlier but very irksome:
At launch you will not be able to walk inside your spaceship but there are plans to implement that later. There will also be content that allows you to board other ships and you will be able to walk around in those.
Star Trek Online Live Developer Chat Highlights
http://vault.ign.com/View.php?view=e....detail&id=248

Star Trek Online Developer Chat Transcripts
Published: 2009-04-01
http://vault.ign.com/View.php?view=e....detail&id=249
Old April 2 2009, 02:14 AM   #8
CaptainStoner

Re: Star Trek: Online developer chat

I really think the fans are going to morph this game out of whatever flaws it may or may not have at release. Considering what was done with BC, and Legacy - the latter was actually saved by the fans, as the game didn't even function as released (Your main ship wouldn't change when the era changed from ENT to TOS - how Bethesda could release it like that is beyond me).
Old April 2 2009, 04:23 AM   #9
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

CaptainStoner wrote: View Post
I really think the fans are going to morph this game out of whatever flaws it may or may not have at release. Considering what was done with BC, and Legacy - the latter was actually saved by the fans, as the game didn't even function as released (Your main ship wouldn't change when the era changed from ENT to TOS - how Bethesda could release it like that is beyond me).
In a game of this genre, mods probably won't be possible. The developers have to get this one right.
Old April 4 2009, 04:05 AM   #10
CaptainStoner

-Brett- wrote: View Post

In a game of this genre, mods probably won't be possible. The developers have to get this one right.
Well, I agree with you that the developers have to have a solid product with STO from the release date. It has to stand on its own, and stand well. But, user-created content will be very important to the longer term survival of STO. A developer can only put out so much campaign material.
Old April 5 2009, 10:27 AM   #11
USS Renegade
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to USS Renegade

Yeah, I keep feeling the lure of this game. Anyone know anyone in the Beta?
Old April 5 2009, 11:07 AM   #12
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Well, I agree with you that the developers have to have a solid product with STO from the release date. It has to stand on its own, and stand well. But, user-created content will be very important to the longer term survival of STO. A developer can only put out so much campaign material.
I thought STO was a MMO monthly subscription game, i am sure those type of games don't allow users created content, only the game devs can add to these type of games.

Old April 6 2009, 03:26 PM   #13
Silent_Bob
Fleet Captain

Haggis and Tatties wrote: View Post

I thought STO was a MMO monthly subscription game, i am sure those type of games don't allow users created content, only the game devs can add to these type of games.
Agreed, STO wont feature user-created content beyond the usual guild stuff.
Although once the ability to walk around your own/other peoples ships gets added, i can see this game being used by simming communities, if only to create custom crew pictures etc.
Old April 6 2009, 08:09 PM   #14
brianbeercan
Lieutenant Commander

One of the cool things about the Star Trek universe is that it has Holodecks - the devs have been pretty silent about how they'll be used in game, but I could see player made mods being available in there! Well, I can dream anyway.
Old April 7 2009, 02:38 PM   #15
The
Rear Admiral

View The's Twitter Profile

Players are forced to choose a faction – Starfleet or Klingon – and cannot be privateers.
Lame.
Closed Thread