Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old November 19 2008, 10:45 AM   #46
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: 'Star Trek XI' Teaser Official Release

Turbo wrote: View Post
It looked to me like the State Trooper was a robot.
Could very well be. But why is it a scary-looking robot?

Gibraltar wrote: View Post
I don’t know. If I’m riding a high-velocity hovercycle capable of speeds of well over a hundred kph, I think I’d want as much high-impact armor as possible in case I get sideswiped by some snot-nosed punk kid in a 20th century muscle car.
Absolutely. It's just the design that's weird. It looks more like an aggressive alien species from Voyager than Earth-based Law Enforcement.

BurnedPike wrote: View Post
I had a hard time with the Bridge originally; it looked like an Apple store interior but now I think I can warm to it. I do like Apple afterall.
It could certainly use more color, but at least it's brightly lit. I just wonder what the hell that lectern is all about.
Old November 19 2008, 07:02 PM   #47
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

The opening is a tad stupid. It's GONE IN 60 SECONDS remake number 2. Or perhaps that Springfield Gorge episode of the Simpsons.

Kirk: "Like that time I tried to jump Springfield Gorge."

McCoy: "Dammit, Jim, we're sick of that memory!"
Old November 19 2008, 09:02 PM   #48
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Does nobody else think that scene might be a Rush reference?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAvQSkK8Z8U
Old November 19 2008, 10:10 PM   #49
Danoz
Rear Admiral

Re: 'Star Trek XI' Teaser Officially Released

ancient wrote: View Post
SamwiseToeJam wrote: View Post
Why is there a Corvette?
What's with the stupid dialogue/fighting between Kirk and Spock?
Those painted landscape screens are terrible.
Why is it so fast paced?
Why is the camera sideways?
What's with the MTV cutaways?
What's with the thumping techno beat?
If that's supposed to be Kirk narrating, why does it sound like he smokes 3 packs a day?

This may be great for the kids, but it does nothing for me. It's a shameful rape of the Star Trek franchise.
And where the hell am I?

Sorry, this post just reminded me of Naked Gun for some reason.

BTW, if this is a shameful rape, I guess I'm a pervert, 'cause it's turning me on!
I love that scene in Naked Gun -- there's like a Baboon and Jungle Sounds, "and where the hell was I?"

Anyway, I think the trailer is fantastic, and it makes me feel very, very good about this upcoming movie.
Old November 20 2008, 05:07 PM   #50
TJinPgh
Captain

Well, as I said in the other thread...

The entire opening sequence is completely absurd. From the notion that there would actually be carbon based fuels to run that Corvette on (that puppy ain't running on corn!) in the 2200s. Further that with the skill in which he drove the car, given that standard transmissions will likely be a thing of the past by the middle of THIS century. You pretty much end up with Anakin Kirk. Still not sure when he became so proud of his middle name, considering Kirk, himself, never used it.

The scene with Spock and Kirk on the bridge is what ultimately kills this movie for me.

Yes, Kirk and Spock have fought a few times. Once when Spock was going through the Pon'Far. The other escapes me at the moment. But, unless our pinup Kirk has Spock's Vulcan blood racing, it's a safe bet he's not going through through that. And, as I've said before, even on those rare occasions when Spock was being insubordinate, he NEVER challenged Kirk with a comment like "I will not allow you to lecture me." And, there is no context that can make that line believable for me.

Even when Spock was stealing the Enterprise to help Pike he never reacted like that.

And, sorry, but that was total rage that we see from Spock when he attacks Kirk.

The youthful exuberance of Chekov is so over the top in that scene it's absurd.

There's no denying that the trailer is visually stunning. Probably more so than any other Trek trailer we've seen. But, I have to admit that it saddens me to think that this is all that it takes to impress long time Trek fans these days, because there is really very little else about this trailer that suggests that it has little in common with the story and characters we once knew.
Old November 20 2008, 11:58 PM   #51
RJDiogenes

A couple of responses from somebody who is still skeptical about this whole thing:

Synthesizing fuel for an antique car is probably simplicity itself for a hobbyist in that era.

I also wonder about the scene where Spock is attacking Kirk. We'll have to see the movie to know the context. But Spock is not being insubordinate; either he or Pike is in command of Enterprise at that point. I suspect Kirk won't be taking command until the final scenes.
Old November 21 2008, 11:04 AM   #52
Hoser
Hoser

View Hoser's Twitter Profile

Yes, this is still Trek, and for all we know it could be some space spores, alien mind control, a Romulan holoemitter or just a bad dream/timeline.
Or a guy meets alien, guy fears alien, guy and alien learn to be best friends and go on booty calls story. Who knows?
Old November 22 2008, 12:22 AM   #53
RJDiogenes

And a more emotional Spock is actually consistent with the Pike Era.