Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old November 17 2008, 11:07 PM   #16
DarkHelmet
Admiral

View DarkHelmet's Twitter Profile
Re: 'Star Trek XI' Teaser Officially Released

That was awesome to watch in HD.

So, so excited for this movie!!!
Old November 17 2008, 11:38 PM   #17
Aragorn
Admiral

You know, I have to wonder some of these cadets coming out of the woodwork are just the bashers trying to raise their numbers on here. Either that or they're all Stepford posters when it comes to the company line.
Old November 17 2008, 11:39 PM   #18
CramNevets
Cadet

Re: 'Star Trek XI' Teaser Official Release

The All-New Star Trek!

*Now Not Just For Nerds*
Old November 18 2008, 01:02 AM   #19
Silversmok3
Commander

Dang. 5 minutes late for Quantum of Solace and I catch the last 30 seconds of the preview

In any case,the Vulcan scene's piqued my attention. As I understand canon Vulcan's arent ones for skyscrapers, but I guess in this movie Vulcan had a little real estate boom.

I think its great, although its pretty funny that a 60's Corvette outran a 23rd century police bike.....
Old November 18 2008, 01:23 AM   #20
Peter the Younger
Commodore

Silversmok3 wrote: View Post

In any case,the Vulcan scene's piqued my attention. As I understand canon Vulcan's arent ones for skyscrapers, but I guess in this movie Vulcan had a little real estate boom.
I actually liked that. One of the things that annoyed my about the TOS conception of Vulcan was that it looked essentially depopulated. Big technical society means urban centers - environmental fantasies aside, these is no way around that.

Of course, then they go and ruin my buzz by building a million ton spaceship on the ground. WTF?

But I'll let that one slide (Anti-gravity works wonders. No, really.)

I think its great, although its pretty funny that a 60's Corvette outran a 23rd century police bike.....
The cop was probably going, "I had better stay back, this thing emits deadly carbon monoxide!"

Old November 18 2008, 01:41 AM   #21
Lightinspire
Lieutenant Commander

I don't like it. The entire thing looks too modern for the era it is supposed to be in..where is the old Enterprise look, etc. Surely in 2008 the technology exists to make things look older. The franchise never should have gave up on the models. Computer generated ships look too modern for the shows like Enterprise and the new Trek movie. I for one will not see it. The trailer shows nothing to attract current fans who want Shatner back or even Trek in general. I may not even waste my money on a dvd..I know it is just a teaser but if this is any indication of the movie, I'll spend it elsewhere and not at a trek movie.
Old November 18 2008, 01:44 AM   #22
Lightinspire
Lieutenant Commander

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
To paraphrase Team America....

STAR TREK... FUCK YA!
I knew it had to be a matter of time before some young nerd would use profane language and ruin the thread...
Old November 18 2008, 01:54 AM   #23
nx1701g
Admiral

Watched it an I'll admit it's growing on me.
Old November 18 2008, 02:32 AM   #24
NewHorizon
Captain

Lightinspire wrote: View Post
I don't like it. The entire thing looks too modern for the era it is supposed to be in..where is the old Enterprise look, etc.
The era it is supposed to be in? It's in the 23rd century, and this is the film makers interpretation of that era.

Now the thing that a lot of Trek Fans can't get their minds around, myself included in the beginning, is that the original series was a 1960's visualization of what the 23rd century 'might' look like.

Now, try to forget for a minute that there was a TOS...a Next Gen, DS9, Voyager..etc. Imagine that Star Trek hadn't existed 'on film' until this very moment in time...imagine it only existed in books.

Movies series get re imagined all the time. Batman is one of the most successful cases...it went from camp 60's TV show, through two strains of film series. Same with Bond...many different Bonds, but it's the same character...just reinvented for the time.

We've been spoiled with Trek, we had the original actors from Day one. Now, the time has come when we are going back to the start. New actors, a new interpretation of how things 'look'.

To put it bluntly, it's not going to look like the 60's show...nor should it have to. The only thing that truly matters, are the characters. At the end of the day, if they're still Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty, Chekov, Uhura and Sulu...we should all be happy.

Give the film a chance, and then toss the slings and arrows. As a proud Trekker for the last 31 years, I'm going to keep my mind completely open...as we all should. If we haven't learned how to do that from watching Star Trek, then we're the ones killing it...not the suits.
Old November 18 2008, 02:35 AM   #25
nx1701g
Admiral

The Trailer just aired during Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.
Old November 18 2008, 02:52 AM   #26
Procutus
Admiral

DarkHelmet wrote: View Post

Agreed. I can't get over how different the same images appear from the bootleg version I viewed on Friday.

Although I still have reservations about certain aspects of this movie, I have to admit that I'm eager as hell to see it. I'm willing to accept the inevitable changes as long as it tells a good story.
Old November 18 2008, 03:08 AM   #27
DarkHelmet
Admiral

View DarkHelmet's Twitter Profile

Procutus wrote: View Post
DarkHelmet wrote: View Post

Agreed. I can't get over how different the same images appear from the bootleg version I viewed on Friday.

Although I still have reservations about certain aspects of this movie, I have to admit that I'm eager as hell to see it. I'm willing to accept the inevitable changes as long as it tells a good story.
Indeed!

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
Give the film a chance, and then toss the slings and arrows. As a proud Trekker for the last 31 years, I'm going to keep my mind completely open...as we all should. If we haven't learned how to do that from watching Star Trek, then we're the ones killing it...not the suits.
Exactly - give it a chance... if it stays true to the characters we know, to me, that's what matters most.
Old November 18 2008, 03:11 AM   #28
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Looks like fun, I must say.

I can be as continuity-nitpicky as anyone at times, but for whatever reason this isn't really spiking my angst-o-meter. I'm just curious how it'll turn out.
Old November 18 2008, 03:29 AM   #29
Procutus
Admiral

I think the thing I'm most curious about right now is what year this is suppposed to take place in. From what I've read, the future scenes with Old Spock take place around 2381, the scenes with the Kelvin about 25 years prior to the bulk of the story in the 23rd century. The Kelvin incident is supposed to be the same year Kirk is born, so if they stick with the dates worked out by the Okudas, this would be 2230.

IF (and that's a big if) this is true, then it seems that the rest of the story may take place in 2255.

Mind you, this is all speculation on my part.
Old November 18 2008, 03:59 AM   #30
forsammyray
Cadet

I thought the trailer looked a little slick, and the dialogue sounded mostly ridiculous. I'm already finding it hard to accept that kid as a starship captain, Kirk or not.

There's a cool article about the trailer with a discussion about the problems inherent with Trek:

http://therecshow.com/2008/11/17/why-star-trek-fails/