RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,730
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 876
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade "Complications"
I'll be back! (Excellent) 15 34.09%
Come with me if you want to live! (Above Average) 24 54.55%
Thank you for explaining. (Average) 4 9.09%
Hasta la vista, baby! (Below Average) 1 2.27%
You are TERMINATED! (Failure) 0 0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 23 2008, 07:42 PM   #136
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Terminator-209 "Complications" - Discuss/Grade <SPOILERS>

Therapists, Psychologist, Psychiatrists... They're just prostitutes which you buy the advice of a well meaning concerned friend from.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2008, 11:00 PM   #137
highlander
Fleet Captain

View highlander's Twitter Profile

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Therapists, Psychologist, Psychiatrists... They're just prostitutes which you buy the advice of a well meaning concerned friend from.

Now THAT is classic Guy Gardener ladies and gentlemen!
Old November 24 2008, 02:32 AM   #138
Eric Cheung
Fleet Captain

Well, if only because some people aren't in situations in which they can talk to people they know about sensitive personal topics therapy serves as a surrogate for that kind of outlet. Everybody needs someone in which to confide, and it's even better if that someone is an experienced listener who's studied the myriad problems people can have in both an academic and practical context.

But if therapy's not for someone then they probably need something like it, be it a friend with some distance from their current situation, or a mentor, or something.
Eric Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 04:11 AM   #139
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

There's nothing wrong with being a prostitute, they invented psychology, and 4 thousand years later Freud used Psychiatry as a beard to make husbands pay him to sleep with their wives.

They are interdisplacing disciplines of which neither is entirely innocent.

In my minds eye right now, I can see this Sherman Bloke trying to talk Skynet down from destroying Humanity 20 seconds before judgement day takes it's final shape.

I wonder what Skynet would make a movie like 2001?

And what's that one about the robot cowboy theme park that tries to sublimate man?

Old November 24 2008, 05:39 AM   #140
Quantum
Captain

Lindley wrote: View Post
Quantum wrote: View Post
This leads me to belive that the derek on the show is the "real" derek as in the Derek that was before time started to Loop.
No, time "started to loop" the second Arnie came back in T1. *That* Derek is long gone, timeline-wise.
If that is the case then how do you explain that John was fathered by somebody was sent back from the future. That means that T1 wasn't the first loop. The only solution was that the "original" John Connor was fathered by somebody other than Kyle Reese.
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 05:42 AM   #141
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Or originally Kyle Reese was sent back from a world which didn't have a John Connor.

Old November 24 2008, 06:02 AM   #142
Quantum
Captain

Or originally Kyle Reese was sent back from a world which didn't have a John Connor.
Good Point

That world then would be the original time line.... However if the humans don't beat skynet then they never send anybody back to start with. So that means the humans had to beat Skynet without John Connor, which makes john a lot less valuable....
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 06:36 AM   #143
nx1701g
Admiral

There is a storyline that suggests Stan Moresky (the man who cancelled on Sarah at the beginning of The Terminator) may be John's father.

Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 07:26 AM   #144
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Quantum wrote: View Post
Good Point

That world then would be the original time line.... However if the humans don't beat skynet then they never send anybody back to start with. So that means the humans had to beat Skynet without John Connor, which makes john a lot less valuable....
Imagine Skynet won. A few zoos kept humans around just for kicks and because Skynet is not a complete deush. Skynet can now do anything. It invents time travel... Maybe, almost? Well there's some fine tuning to get out of the way with lab testing and animal trials before it's ready to begin sending back incredibly (clean resources after the war would be difficult to come by.) valuable (Copies of itself?)AIs through the murder machine it calls a time machine for the first few thousand explosively mincing attempts which lables the device indelibly cost ineffective, especially since every backstepping mechachrononaut has to be labouriously wrapped in some sort of animal firstly to piggyback inside it's electromagnetic field... Then after a few more thousand faliures, when Skynet is sure that it almost has got time travel licked and... Damn it, it would save time to strip thescientific method and just throw humans through time since there's no real reason for them to be around any more other than to amuse Skynet, and forwarding scientific endeavour is damn amusing. So it's no different than how we sent chimps into space in the 60s because we wanted to refine the proccess before we sacked up.

That being said, an AI the size of a tennis ball with a pleasure and pain responsimeter wrapped into Kyle's spinal column using him as a beast of burden is also a reason why Skynet would would be sending humans back into it's own past if only for observatory missions to fulfil Skynets Historianianismistic inclinations and curiousity over a dead culture.

I really should write some fanfiction but I'm involved in something glorious already right now, but it would probably come off too Twelve Monkeys for me to bother being called a fraud again to be bothered with.

Last edited by Guy Gardener; November 24 2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old November 24 2008, 06:16 PM   #145
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Another possibility is that "John Connor" is a rouse. That "John Connor" the man is not the key to the humans winning over the machines. However they set up "John Connor" as a foil, because of the logic of the machines. The machines think they need to eliminate "John Connor" to allow them to win, when in fact them trying to eliminate "John Connor" is what is causing them to loose.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 01:04 AM   #146
nx1701g
Admiral

^ Hmm misdirection. I like it.

Not Dead Yet.
Old November 25 2008, 01:35 AM   #147
Snaploud
Admiral

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
Another possibility is that "John Connor" is a rouse. That "John Connor" the man is not the key to the humans winning over the machines. However they set up "John Connor" as a foil, because of the logic of the machines. The machines think they need to eliminate "John Connor" to allow them to win, when in fact them trying to eliminate "John Connor" is what is causing them to loose.
I like it. It's also a very good tactic in a time-war.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 03:32 AM   #148
nx1701g
Admiral

^ especially after the latest episode - Strange Things Happen at the One Two Point.

Not Dead Yet.