RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,670
Members: 24,197
Currently online: 646
Newest member: Trek's Offender

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 20 2008, 04:46 AM   #31
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek-TMP Directors Edition NOT on Blu-Ray!!!

Indysolo wrote: View Post
Don't start up with your "White Zone" sh*t again!

Neil
Oh really, Vernon? Why pretend, we both know perfectly well what this is about.
Old November 21 2008, 02:21 AM   #32
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Uh...Guys? What?
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 02:26 AM   #33
Maurice
Vice Admiral

^^^They're quoting the "white zone" announcements from the opening of "Airplane!"
Maurice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 03:17 AM   #34
Kronos
Admiral

Shame on anyone who doesn't know the white zone/red zone discussion.
Old November 21 2008, 04:05 AM   #35
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Kronos wrote: View Post
Yes, but can you tell me where Airplane got it from?
Old November 21 2008, 04:47 AM   #36
Kronos
Admiral

DS9Sega wrote: View Post
Was it Zero Hour like 90% of the rest of the movie?
Old November 21 2008, 06:31 AM   #37
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

^^^They're quoting the "white zone" announcements from the opening of "Airplane!"
Thanks. ^^
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 06:34 AM   #38
JDF
Captain

I'm not as harsh on the DE as TGT is, and never was. But, I do still prefer the theatrical cut.

In fact, I pulled out the old laserdisc of the widescreen theatrical cut recently when I was able to finally hook up the ol' Pioneer LD player to the Sony LCD (the TV cabinet we bought 2 years ago was too shallow and it was only a couple weeks back that I finally got around to cutting out the back to fit the monster in).

I don't have a Blu-ray player yet, but intend on getting one by Christmas.

I'm glad they are giving us the TC first in HD. The LD is really fuzzy. And, as time has gone by, there are only a few edits in the DE that I still like -mainly the additional (and relevant) dialog. What they cut, I was never happy about. The new sound effects, I didn't like a lot of. The new visual effects I could take or leave. The new "animated" V'ger bridge though always bothered me and never bought the idea of trying to copy the look of "traditional cel animation" by double-framing it. Truth is, for a movie like this, it never would have been traditional double-frame cel animation. They would have single-frame shot it like even Disney has always done with key scenes in their own theatrical animations.
Old November 21 2008, 08:18 AM   #39
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Was it Zero Hour like 90% of the rest of the movie?
Nope. I believe it's taken from the novel Airport by Arthur Hailey.

JDF wrote: View Post
The new "animated" V'ger bridge though always bothered me and never bought the idea of trying to copy the look of "traditional cel animation" by double-framing it. Truth is, for a movie like this, it never would have been traditional double-frame cel animation. They would have single-frame shot it like even Disney has always done with key scenes in their own theatrical animations.
You're correct about that. The correct term is "shooting on twos", and that's for animated films, not for animated effects overlain on live action which is by definition shot on ones.
Old November 21 2008, 11:07 AM   #40
GodThingFormerly
A Different Kind of Asshole

The new "animated" V'ger bridge though always bothered me and never bought the idea of trying to copy the look of "traditional cel animation" by double-framing it. Truth is, for a movie like this, it never would have been traditional double-frame cel animation. They would have single-frame shot it like even Disney has always done with key scenes in their own theatrical animations.
Hiya, JDF. Robert Swarthe did an absolutely masterful animation job for ST:TMP's wormhole live-action and V'ger transcendence sequences (see Cinefex #11 for details). That Swarthe would have suddenly got lazy for the Voyager 6 Island "bridge building" effects - as that bloated hack Dochterman asserted - is a rather disgusting professional insult to a brilliant artist.

TGT
GodThingFormerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21 2008, 07:58 PM   #41
JDF
Captain

You're correct about that. The correct term is "shooting on twos", and that's for animated films, not for animated effects overlain on live action which is by definition shot on ones.
I figured there was a more "proper" term, I just didn't know what it was.

The God Thing wrote: View Post
Hiya, JDF. Robert Swarthe did an absolutely masterful animation job for ST:TMP's wormhole live-action and V'ger transcendence sequences (see Cinefex #11 for details). That Swarthe would have suddenly got lazy for the Voyager 6 Island "bridge building" effects - as that bloated hack Dochterman asserted - is a rather disgusting professional insult to a brilliant artist.

TGT
Hi back at ya', and I agree.

It's been a while since I last posted around here. I pop in every once in a while to see what's going on, but I knew this release news would draw you in. I figured I'd jump in too.
Old November 22 2008, 02:53 AM   #42
ACE
Lieutenant

I greatly look forward to the Blu-ray releases of this - and the rest of the films.

I do enjoy both versions of TMP. I would imagine that someday there will be the Director's Edition on Blu. But, it would require a complete re-render of the Lightwave scenes to HD, or even preferably 4k for that matter (to match the film scans).

I sincerely hope that the other films' special editions are available along with the theatrical versions via seamless branching on single Blu-ray discs, perhaps with a second disc to hold more of the special features.

As far as the V'Ger melding animation goes - I agree that the 2-framing was inappropriate for a feature film and should be corrected in a new HD version.
ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2008, 02:44 PM   #43
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

The God Thing wrote: View Post
Robert Swarthe did an absolutely masterful animation job for ST:TMP's wormhole live-action and V'ger transcendence sequences (see Cinefex #11 for details). That Swarthe would have suddenly got lazy for the Voyager 6 Island "bridge building" effects - as that bloated hack Dochterman asserted - is a rather disgusting professional insult to a brilliant artist.

TGT
Mojo is credited with the quote about the hand animation being done two frames at a time. He even says, "I thought to myself, 'How would they have done this back then?'". See page 56 of Star Trek - The Magazine Volume 2, Issue 8 for details.

A little fact checking goes a long way, but then it might also go against your personal crusade against the creators of The Director's Edition and I guess you couldn't have that.

Neil
Old November 22 2008, 02:53 PM   #44
GodThingFormerly
A Different Kind of Asshole

Indysolo wrote: View Post
Mojo is credited with the quote about the hand animation being done two frames at a time. He even says, "I thought to myself, 'How would they have done this back then?'". See page 56 of Star Trek - The Magazine Volume 2, Issue 8 for details.

A little fact checking goes a long way, but then it might also go against your personal crusade against the creators of The Director's Edition and I guess you couldn't have that.
Dochterman was the CGI "supervisor" of this disaster, was he not? If so then he bears at least as much responsibility as Leibowitz for permitting the latter to get away with turning in such a profoundly shitty animation sequence.

TGT
GodThingFormerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2008, 07:51 PM   #45
JDF
Captain

too many clicks