RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,717
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 596
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Grade Lost Souls
Excellent 130 72.22%
Above Average 35 19.44%
Average 12 6.67%
Below Average 1 0.56%
Poor 2 1.11%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 24 2008, 04:43 AM   #106
Dayton3
Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Destiny: Lost Souls - Discuss/Grade

Perhaps the Borg can be brought back in some way and used in a future series...
Dayton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 04:46 AM   #107
casey
Lieutenant Commander

Dayton3 wrote: View Post
Perhaps the Borg can be brought back in some way and used in a future series...
I am really hoping we haven't seen the last of Borg 2.0. I think there is so much that can be explored there.
Old November 24 2008, 07:26 AM   #108
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

Strider, to answer your questions without giving anything away from upcoming books, I can assure you that thought has been given to all of those issues, both by myself, by the editors, and by the other authors, and all of those issues you mentioned will be addressed in forthcoming novels.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 09:23 AM   #109
LaBarre
Commander

In that same line, do you feel that the characterization of Picard when he ordered the Thalaron weapon to be built was in line with what we know about him? Or the parts where he was in such serious doubt about his future? I wanted to hear what you were thinking Picard was feeling when you wrote those parts so I could better understand where he was coming from.

Thanks.
David, I also wondered about this. All the reviews I've read have been positive, but almost everyone wonders about Picard being "off" in this third instalment as well as the previous two.

I'd love to know your thinking process insofar as Picard is concerned.
LaBarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 03:25 PM   #110
Christopher
Writer

^^I think the whole point was that Picard was "off," that the magnitude of the Borg invasion coupled with his own traumas and his link to them had thrown him completely off his game. He'd fought them off over and over but they kept coming back, and this final, all-out invasion, coming mere weeks after he decided to start a family, had broken his spirit. So he wasn't quite himself for the duration of the trilogy, or rather, the more vulnerable aspects of his character were overwhelming the parts we're used to seeing.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 03:26 PM   #111
ParticleMan
Fleet Captain

LaBarre wrote: View Post
In that same line, do you feel that the characterization of Picard when he ordered the Thalaron weapon to be built was in line with what we know about him? Or the parts where he was in such serious doubt about his future? I wanted to hear what you were thinking Picard was feeling when you wrote those parts so I could better understand where he was coming from.

Thanks.
David, I also wondered about this. All the reviews I've read have been positive, but almost everyone wonders about Picard being "off" in this third instalment as well as the previous two.

I'd love to know your thinking process insofar as Picard is concerned.
I finished the trilogy on Saturday evening and must say that those three books comprise the best Star Trek has had to offer since at least the end of DS9. Loved, loved, LOVED the way the Borg threat was dealt with once and for all...in such a "Star Trek-ian" way. Not through force of arms but through hope...great way to end what could have been a very depressing series of books.

Regarding the questions as to what was up with Picard in the books, especially his advocacy of using the thalaron weapon...I wonder how much his connection to the Collective was affecting his personality and decision making through the Borg crisis, dating back even to the events of Resistance.

Could it be that his emotional state was being influenced on some level by the overwhelming aggression and desire to exterminate that the Borg Collective was focusing on the Federation? Maybe that was why he was acting the way he did?
ParticleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2008, 09:32 PM   #112
Gatekeeper
Commodore

David, et al.:

**whew** I don't know what to say, really, other than two things:

1. The "Destiny" trilogy of Star Trek novels are the only ones where I've literally come close to reading each book from cover to cover in a single marathon session. I couldn't quite do it all three times, but that's only because of work and because doctors recommend at least seven hours of sleep a night!

2. The ending was incredibly uplifting. Sure, the "darker" S/F stuff has its place — i.e., Terminator, Battlestar Galactica and so on — but, in the end, it's always refreshing to come to Star Trek and find a future for humanity that is, to repeat the word, uplifting.

We need more of that in today's day and age. I'm not ashamed to say, thank God for Star Trek and every other thing in life that makes it worth getting up for every morning.

Gatekeeper
Old November 24 2008, 10:35 PM   #113
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

i too read huge chunks of all 3 books in single sittings. great stuff all the way through. just a fabulous series.

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 06:16 AM   #114
Strider
Fleet Captain

David Mack wrote: View Post
Strider, to answer your questions without giving anything away from upcoming books, I can assure you that thought has been given to all of those issues, both by myself, by the editors, and by the other authors, and all of those issues you mentioned will be addressed in forthcoming novels.
Oh good to know! I don't normally buy Star Trek books but Destiny kind of hooked me so...
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 06:41 AM   #115
Silversmok3
Commander

Excellent read,if I say so myself.
By the second novel I was thinking the Caeliar and Borg shared a link,but Lost Souls still surprised me.

BTW,did anyone notice that of all the starfleet ships in Trek (including Voyager) the NX-02 Columbia has the hardest/most tragic time trying to get home?
Old November 25 2008, 01:50 PM   #116
dispatcher812
Lieutenant Commander

Warning, spoilers.

I just finished the series last night and I must say, I really enjoyed it. All the hype and waiting was worth it. I actully used sick time last night so I could stay home and finish it. Can't wait to see what else all the Great authors have in store for us.

I honestly did NOT see the connection between the Caeliar and the Borg. I actually said "WHAT" outloud. Again No idea.

The ending part where Miranda gets home and finally sees here kids, actually made me cry. I have a 2 year old and one on the way and working 2 16 hours shifts in a row, I can't wait to get home to see my daughter.

All in all, a great Triogy. A big two thumbs up to David Mack. I have read many of your books and you have never let me down.
dispatcher812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 05:27 PM   #117
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

Gracias, dispatcher812. I hope that next July you'll check out my first original novel, The Calling, which is being published by Pocket and edited by Marco Palmieri.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 06:16 PM   #118
Stephen!
Captain

For anyone in the UK looking for Lost Souls, there's a seller on eBay UK that currently has 9 copies available.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tegory=377null
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 06:34 PM   #119
dispatcher812
Lieutenant Commander

David, I usualy do stray from ST novels but I will try it.
dispatcher812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 11:14 PM   #120
MMCL
Lieutenant

Just bought the E-book tonight and can't wait to start reading.
MMCL is offline   Reply With Quote