Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Grade Lost Souls
Excellent 130 72.22%
Above Average 35 19.44%
Average 12 6.67%
Below Average 1 0.56%
Poor 2 1.11%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 22 2009, 05:59 AM   #511
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

David Mack wrote: View Post
Thrawn wrote: View Post
Gracias, most appreciated. I hope you'll check out my first original novel, The Calling, when it comes out in July. I just turned in the copy-edited manuscript to my editor today, and I think it has shaped up nicely on many levels.
How Judeo-Christian is the mythology? I'm not at all religious, and at first glance the gimmick seems kinda off-putting; is it very much associated with religious notions, or would you classify it as a more Whedon-like universe that uses the same imagery, but as more of a broad-spectrum fantasy?
The religious elements are deliberately minimized; it's meant to be more of a Stephen King–style approach to the story, or perhaps like a Dean Koontz type of supernatural thriller. This is not the Left Behind series or a Jack Chick gospel tract.
Then I'll definitely check it out. Still doesn't quite sound like my kind of novel, but you've certainly gained my confidence
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2009, 07:57 AM   #512
RonG
Captain

View RonG's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to RonG

DGCatAniSiri wrote: View Post
Instead of a crossover trilogy about three captains, if I just think about it as a story about the whole Star Trek universe with varying emphases on certain important players, it actually makes a lot of sense.
That was really how I viewed it from the time that I read the first book - I mean if it were just a trio of Captains involved in the crossover, then the three of them would have been separated from their crews. And with the inclusion of various other POVs - the Bacco administration, Admiral Paris, the doomed ship at Khitomer I can't remember right now, and various others as the worlds are devastated - it really, to me, anyway, comes across not as a tale about these captains or this or that ship but the entire Star Trek universe, or at least the entire Federation.
Now I wanna go back and re-read the whole thing again, thinking about it this way
well then, by all means I just finished Lost Souls for the second time - it still rocks!
RonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2009, 11:49 AM   #513
SicOne
Commodore

What? Humanity is assimilated and then freed? Like, humanity as a whole, or humanity as in the crews of the Enterprise-E, Titan, and Aventine?
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2009, 11:55 AM   #514
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

SicOne wrote: View Post
What? Humanity is assimilated and then freed? Like, humanity as a whole, or humanity as in the crews of the Enterprise-E, Titan, and Aventine?
You asked what happened to the Borg. So I told you. Of course for the context of how they were assimilated and then freed, you'll just have to read the book
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2009, 03:15 PM   #515
Christopher
Writer

^^I don't think that's an accurate characterization of what happened to the Borg anyway.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2009, 03:53 PM   #516
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Christopher wrote: View Post
^^I don't think that's an accurate characterization of what happened to the Borg anyway.
Maybe so, but from what was written within the book and from what Hernandez says to Picard on page 387, thats the impression I got

Finally, Picard looked at Hernandez, "You're not disbanding the Collective... are you captain?"

"No" Hernandez said. "We're assimilating them."
Now I could be completely off base with what I originally said, but given the above quote and the way Hernandez had previously described the collective, they were freed and in a way were assimilated into the Calier culture.
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2009, 10:35 PM   #517
Silversmok3
Commander

Well, there ya go.
The designers of the Prometheus and Defiant class ships, if they're alive, are out of a job.

Sarcasm aside, what's Starfleet going to do with all those 'gunships' built to fight a finished enemy?
Old January 28 2009, 10:54 PM   #518
Christopher
Writer

Silversmok3 wrote: View Post
Sarcasm aside, what's Starfleet going to do with all those 'gunships' built to fight a finished enemy?
Mission Gamma already showed the Defiant getting refitted for science missions. There are options.

And of course, just because the Borg are gone doesn't mean the UFP can beat all its swords into plowshares. While a return to a primarily scientific, diplomatic, and support role for Starfleet is much to be hoped for, it doesn't hurt to keep some powerful ships around in reserve, just in case.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2009, 08:39 AM   #519
captcalhoun
Admiral

yeah, cuz the Dominion are still out there and they're going to come back, like in every second fan-fic or PBEM RPG...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2009, 02:25 PM   #520
TrekAlliance92
Captain

I just finished reading this trilogy the other day. It's a very good trilogy over all, and I put it up there (but just below) the superlative Reeves-Stevens novels, Eugenics Wars and some of the excellent stand-alone novels such as Chain of Attack, Rogue Saucer, Death of a Neutron Star and some of the New Earth novels.

* I enjoyed the action throughout the various novels. Very well-written and glad to see Endgame's borg-bustin' tech followed up on.
* Dax and Riker (I haven't read any Titan novels) make good Captains, and Tuvok on Riker's crew? Pretty cool.
* The trials and adventures of Erika Hernandez and her crew were quite fascinating and compelling. I liked how she maintained her humanity and optimism throughout and ended up crucial in saving the Federation.
* I have to ask...what in the world was the point of the Troi-pregnancy-angst subplot? It really went nowhere, but thankfully, it was given a nice solution at the end, which kept it from being completely useless, IMO.
* I thought that the novel would end with the return of Janeway after her surprising death in the mostly-excellent Before Dishonour, or perhaps the Ceiliar displacing the Borg (or the entire Federation!) to another location. Liberating the Borg was pretty cool.
* Hopefully, the Federation will be rebuilt really quickly and subsequent novels will either pick up where Voyager/Nemesis left off.
TrekAlliance92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2009, 03:33 PM   #521
Sci
Admiral

TrekAlliance92 wrote: View Post
* I have to ask...what in the world was the point of the Troi-pregnancy-angst subplot? It really went nowhere, but thankfully, it was given a nice solution at the end, which kept it from being completely useless, IMO.
If you pay attention throughout the trilogy, I'm sure that one of the things you might have noticed was that one of the main themes of the trilogy was the duality of life and death and of the past and the future. Deanna's pregnancy serves as a symbol of that theme; as the Federation is facing its imminent demise at the hands of the Borg, so too is Deanna's child facing death before it even has a chance to live. Deanna and Will have no real future together (as symbolized by their child) if the Federation falls -- because no one has any real future if the Borg win. I would suggest that it is not unintentional that the same source that redeems the Borg saves Deanna's child. The Caeliar, by intervening, by helping others instead of hiding amongst themselves, prove the key to saving the Federation and redeeming the Borg. They give the Federation its future back -- and therefore save Deanna's child. The Federation has a future, and so too now do Deanna and Will.

* Hopefully, the Federation will be rebuilt really quickly and subsequent novels will either pick up where Voyager/Nemesis left off.
Well, there have been plenty of novels that picked up where VOY and NEM let off. There's the VOY Relaunch (Homecoming, The Farther Shore, and Spirit Walk, Books I & II). There's the Time To... miniseries set in the year before NEM. And there's the Titan series and the post-NEM TNG novels, all of which are set after NEM. Destiny is part of that post-NEM cycle.

And the idea that the Federation can be rebuilt "really quickly" is just absurd. 63 billion people were slaughtered. Vulcan, Ardana, Rigel, Andor, Tellar, and Qo'noS suffered devestating attacks. By my count, at least twenty-seven worlds were exterminated, at least three more attacked with an unknown status, and at least six more targeted with unknown status.

I put together some numbers and guestimated that the Federation probably lost at least 5% of its total population, and that's being very, very conservative. But even if we're talking five percent of the total population, there's no way they'd be able to rebuild quickly.

You're talking the equivalent of the United States losing 15 million people if you're talking losing 5% of the population. That's like losing New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Houston all at once. Or, to put it another way, like losing Iowa, Connecticut, Oklahoma, Oregon, and New Mexico.

There's just no way you recover from that quickly. Hell, the U.S. only lost 3,000 people on 9/11, and we still haven't completely recovered.

And, sure enough, the new novel A Singular Destiny and the upcoming Losing the Peace make it clear that the Federation will be recovering from the Borg invasion, and dealing with the fallout from it, for years to come.
Old January 29 2009, 08:14 PM   #522
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

^ I just want to compliment you, Sci, for doing an excellent job of sussing out the symbolism and themes in the trilogy, and in the rest of my work. I wish that I made heaps more money than I do so that I could put you on my payroll as a PR person.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2009, 08:22 PM   #523
Sci
Admiral

David Mack wrote: View Post
^ I just want to compliment you, Sci, for doing an excellent job of sussing out the symbolism and themes in the trilogy, and in the rest of my work. I wish that I made heaps more money than I do so that I could put you on my payroll as a PR person.
Aw, shucks, 'tweren't nothin'.

Thanks!
Old January 29 2009, 08:25 PM   #524
Semah
Commander

Send a message via AIM to Semah Send a message via Yahoo to Semah

Incredible book, Mr Mack. Here I was ready to write a scathing bit about how Picard was acting woefully out of character, and you go and not only explain why, but retroactively explain why he always acts that way when the Borg are around. Good stuff. I may have to read your post-apocalyptic book you were talking about before.
Semah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2009, 09:27 PM   #525
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

The evil of the Borg originally was that they/it was a hive mind pursuing perfection and assimilating everything because that was the proper thing to do. They didn't hate those they assimilated. Sort of like Moby Dick - impersonal, but dangerous. (Roddenberry is actually ambivalent about the Borg in the last interviews. Had to make them scary for tv, but thought some gestalt/group consciousness might be our next step, into SORG-dom (social organism).

The author of Destiny really changes the character of the Borg. Perhaps the damage was already done in First Contact. Nevertheless, in this trilogy, the Borg drones are slaves, not fully integrated, really. And, the mind/spirit guiding the whole thing is more "evil" by intent, rather than as a consequence of pursuing perfection. In fact, now they're not even pursuing the beauty of perfection; the Omega Molecule is revealed just to be an amazing power source that wil make them ever more powerful (muwahaha!). It just sort of un-cools the Borg for me and makes them/it somehow a bit more ordinary.

I DID like the non-violent resolution, for what it's worth.
plynch is offline   Reply With Quote