RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,703
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 700
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Grade Lost Souls
Excellent 130 72.22%
Above Average 35 19.44%
Average 12 6.67%
Below Average 1 0.56%
Poor 2 1.11%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 21 2008, 03:59 PM   #376
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

David cgc wrote: View Post
I wonder if there might've been an element of apocalyptic burnout going on there. In the last decade and a half, Earth has seen three Borg invasions, a military coup, a long-running war, bombardment by the Breen, and probably a couple other things I'm forgetting both on-screen and off. They've probably got a complex by now, to such an extent that they can't really give a damn about yet another case of impending doom.
- Genocidal invaders are coming here again? Honey, will you pass me the checklist?

- Sure! Don't worry, I put the last messages to friends in the message queue, you just have to look over them to make sure I sent the right drafts.

- Thanks. Say, do you know where the basket is, you know, the one for the final picnic? We need to grab a spot before everyone else gets there and it's going to be crowdedn...
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2008, 09:07 PM   #377
mug
Lieutenant Commander

I don't know what the spoiler rules are right now for this thread, so I'll play it safe:

mug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2008, 09:46 PM   #378
Sci
Admiral

mug wrote: View Post
The one characterization that didn't sit as well with me was Bacco. I'm not saying it was bad or completely off-base, but somehow her quips just seemed a little too flip sometimes. Obviously, KRAD had a go over on the draft so I'm sure he signed off on the characterization and all and I'm probably the only one who didn't enjoy the Bacco sequences as much. I'm just throwing that out there. I did like how Bacco was all, "Just let Picard do whatever the hell he wants, it's not like anyone here on Earth is going to figure out what to do better than him." That was very Bacco to me -- she's always been a common-sense type of politician who doesn't let her ego stand in the way of getting things done. You can picture previous presidents, especially Zife, wanting a much more micro-managerial approach.
Hm. For the most part, I thought Mack nailed Bacco -- especially at the very end, where, trying to get the seemingly non-responsive Seven of Nine to talk after the Caeliar's absorption of the Borg, he says, "Seven? It's Nan." Just that shift to her first name -- it's a subtle thing, but it's vintage Bacco.

The only thing I didn't like, though...

I can't help but think that Bacco very fundamentally failed the people of the Federation in one respect: Visibility.

At a crisis like that, Bacco should have made certain that she was visible to the public. Unless she made any speeches "off-screen," so to speak, I would say that she failed in a key aspect of her job. Especially at the very end, where she refrained from making one final address to the Federation -- "Why ruin a perfectly good apocalypse?" I don't know if it was out of character, but I felt it was a fundamental failure on her part as President. Even if extermination is inevitable, she had a duty to provide leadership and reassurance to the people of the Federation -- if not reassurance that they would be safe, then, at least, reassurance that the Federation did everything it could and would not be forgotten by the rest of the galaxy.

That's my only complaint.

(Oh, and I noticed that presidential security seems to be falling under the jurisdiction of a civilian agency rather than Starfleet Security as in Articles.)
Old December 21 2008, 10:56 PM   #379
Baerbel Haddrell
Commodore

I am sure that giving a speech when you expect Earth to be destroyed in a few hours or even much less would do more harm than good. Of course the Federation did all they could, there is no need to spell that out. And with doom around the corner, I think people wouldn`t care much about reassurances and what the rest of the galaxy would remember after they are dead. All it would do is reminding them that they will most likely be dead very soon. I am sure, not everyone would take such an announcement well, to put it mildly.

I was very impressed with how Bacco dealt with the crisis.
Old December 21 2008, 11:07 PM   #380
Sci
Admiral

Baerbel Haddrell wrote: View Post
I am sure that giving a speech when you expect Earth to be destroyed in a few hours or even much less would do more harm than good. Of course the Federation did all they could, there is no need to spell that out. And with doom around the corner, I think people wouldn`t care much about reassurances and what the rest of the galaxy would remember after they are dead. All it would do is reminding them that they will most likely be dead very soon. I am sure, not everyone would take such an announcement well, to put it mildly.

I was very impressed with how Bacco dealt with the crisis.
Hm. No. Disagree. Totally disagree. It's the obligation of a national leader to be visible and reassuring in times of crisis, even if such reassurance is only abstract and not functional. I would consider a leader facing the end of his people who fails to make a farewell address -- who fails, in essence, to grant his/her society a forum through which their grief and pain can be expressed, even if vicariously through the leader -- to have failed in a prime duty.

ETA:

Interesting side-note:

If Section 31 has any brains at all, they'll plant a story that Min Zife died in the Borg invasion. That way, they won't have to find a way to account for him or impersonate him the next time someone goes looking for the former president and can't find him.
Old December 23 2008, 11:55 PM   #381
RikerLover
Lieutenant Commander

I finished Lost Souls this afternoon. OMG the entire trilogy was awesome. This last one had me laughing and crying sometimes at the same time. One thing I enjoyed were the lighter and happier moments during the story.

The part with Riker and Picard in the observation lounge was great. I could practically hear Jonathan Frakes and Patrick Stewart doing that scene.

The final part with Riker, Picard, Troi, and Crusher had me both laughing and crying when a week ago I would have found it only funny. Majel's passing changed that.

David, this was a fantastic trilogy. Thanks for writing it.

One question though. What were Beverly and Deanna drinking - champagne or synethol?
RikerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2008, 12:55 AM   #382
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

RikerLover wrote: View Post
David, this was a fantastic trilogy. Thanks for writing it.
Thank you for your kind words; I'm glad you enjoyed it.

One question though. What were Beverly and Deanna drinking - champagne or synethol?
It's never said, though I can't imagine that Beverly and Deanna would be so foolish as to drink real alcohol during pregnancy. Maybe they had ginger ale in their glasses? ;-)

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2008, 10:37 PM   #383
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Has it every been filmed or written how synthehol affect a pregnancy?
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2008, 11:40 PM   #384
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
Not that I know of.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2008, 11:47 PM   #385
Sci
Admiral

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
Considering that it's been said that someone drinking synthehol can literally will its effects off if they want, presumably it has no effect upon a pregnancy.
Old December 25 2008, 01:17 AM   #386
Christopher
Writer

Sci wrote: View Post
Considering that it's been said that someone drinking synthehol can literally will its effects off if they want, presumably it has no effect upon a pregnancy.
That doesn't follow. There are lots of chemicals that don't get you drunk but can still have a detrimental effect on a fetus.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2008, 01:25 AM   #387
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

It was designed by a Ferengi. You think he gave any thought as to how it would effect pregnant hew-mon females?
Rat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2008, 02:08 AM   #388
Sci
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
That doesn't follow. There are lots of chemicals that don't get you drunk but can still have a detrimental effect on a fetus.
I was thinking in terms of creative intent. The writers' creative intent behind synethol was, "Something that can get you drunk if you want but without any of the negative side-effects." A fantasy drink, in other words.
Old December 25 2008, 05:22 AM   #389
nx1701g
Admiral

^ I always thought that it could get you drunk, but that the side effects of the alcohol were more easily controlled by medical.

Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2008, 07:42 AM   #390
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Synthehol has a similar effect as alchohol, but can be dismissed at will; which suggests either weak active agents, or that its impact is strictly mental and shouldn't percolate to the rest of the body. You can't will your blood stream to do anything.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman