RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,713
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 609
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 15 2008, 07:29 PM   #76
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Re: New ST:XI trailer

Wonderlust King wrote: View Post
Just saw the trailer. This movie looks like a giant steaming pile of garbage. I had high hopes for it. I really was looking forward to it. Then I saw it. In a desperate attempt to appeal to a wider audience J.J.Abrhams has destroyed what is Star Trek, instead he is going to turn it to just another one of these shitty hollywood movies about explosions and fucking. I'm going to miss you Star Trek, I really am. Instead of being about a hope for a brighter future you will be about a hope for a sexy explosion filled future. Everything Star Trek stood for in the past, is now being blown to bits just like all the stupid fucking explosions that are going to happen in this movie just to appeal to the 13 year old kids. I'm going to ask you, fans of the old star trek, is this really worth it?
Have you seen the other Trek-trailers? Lots of explosions (and in the case of Nemesis, fucking) there also.

It's a fucking movie-trailer!
What did you expect?
'Faust'?
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 07:36 PM   #77
ITL
Vice Admiral

NiteTrek wrote: View Post
Looks like there are waitress stations on both sides of the bridge. One for sandwiches, one for drinks perhaps?
"I'll take a can of Booty Sweat and a Bust-A-Nut bar, please."

ITL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 08:01 PM   #78
NCC-1967
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've seen the trailer and some screengrabs (rest assured, Mister Moderator Sir, I won't be posting any links - anyway, if I found them, so can anybody...)
Here's my two cents on it:

- There's indeed a Star Wars influence in the movie. For me, being a huge fan of both franchises, it doesn't bother me at all. But I do understand why some of you don't like it. The rather cool "robocop" guy, for instance, could very well be some sort of super-droid from the separatist army!
- For those moaning (and bitchin') about how come there's still gas in the 23th century, please listen carefully the next time (or the first time) you watch the trailer: I can't hear a V8 running, or at least any V8 I know! The car is probably equipped with some state-of-the-art gizmo enabling it to move...
- By the way, fot those complaining about how stupid it is for young Kirk to throw the car into the cliff, well pay attention again: the road ends there!
And it's no natural cliff, either: in the first seconds of the trailer we see the Corvette blasting through some kind of road block. It's probably some forbidden area, hence the cops chasing Jim. Maybe the ruins of a WWIII-striken city?
- So much for the "Enterprise is built on Earth but assembled in space" theory. The trailer clearly shows the ship being built... in one piece! And by the way, I'd like to meet the Paramount "spy" who described this very scene in AICN as "Kirk wanders through the desert in his bike and then stops by some factory". Moron!
- The Big E looks great in motion, as I expected it to be. The nacelles' pylons are curved! There's a great shot of it leaving the space station (yes, the space station we all know from the original movies)
- Sarek looks great.. as do the Vasquez Rocks!
- The hangar scene looks awesome (the screengrab I saw shows that one of the cadets is alien)
- The "swirling" transporter effect is cool
- Quinto is great as Spock... and looks MENACING in the scene where Kirk confronts him!
- Kirk faces an amazing monster in the ice planet
- Nero's ship is HUGE! There's a great shot of the Kelvin facing it that shows it's tremendous size
- Bones looks POSSESSED (and great!) in the "space is dangerous" scene
- I didn't like much Scotty and his "wacky" presence. Pegg's scottish accent is spot-on, nevertheless...
- There's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it scene with Pike ordering something. Bruce Greenwood looks the commandeering presence I've always assumed he would be!
- The space battles look amazing... and breathless
- The bridge is WHITE (and, judging by the screengrabs, full of those barcode readers we saw in the pictures) and the curved corridors look great too (by the way, they have nothing to do with the ones we saw earlier this year in the 1701.com viral site... )

All in all, I loved it!

Just one thing...

There's SEX in the movie?
Kirk is a womaniser? Who's the retard who wrote that?
I'm boycotting it!!!!!!!!!

(Please note that this last bit isn't exactly irony-free...)
NCC-1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 08:31 PM   #79
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

There's SEX in the movie?
Kirk is a womaniser? Who's the retard who wrote that?
I'm boycotting it!!!!!!!!!
Star Trek with sex appeal, who'd of thunk?

The vibe I got was this was intended to be a mainstream movie first and foremost and a Trek Movie.tm second. Broad appeal is what I saw here - lets hope it turns out to be so.

Different yet at the same time familiar I can live with it. Now I'm all pumped!

Sharr
Sharr Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 08:35 PM   #80
CaptainHarlock
Lieutenant Commander

* Only the boy is annoying. Like the Darth Vader Jr. in Phantom Menace.
CaptainHarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 08:48 PM   #81
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Just saw the trailer. This movie looks like a giant steaming pile of garbage. I had high hopes for it. I really was looking forward to it. Then I saw it. In a desperate attempt to appeal to a wider audience J.J.Abrhams has destroyed what is Star Trek, instead he is going to turn it to just another one of these shitty hollywood movies about explosions and fucking. I'm going to miss you Star Trek, I really am. Instead of being about a hope for a brighter future you will be about a hope for a sexy explosion filled future. Everything Star Trek stood for in the past, is now being blown to bits just like all the stupid fucking explosions that are going to happen in this movie just to appeal to the 13 year old kids. I'm going to ask you, fans of the old star trek, is this really worth it?
QFFT
Old November 15 2008, 08:49 PM   #82
Neumann
Captain

View Neumann's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Neumann

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
instead he is going to turn it to just...about explosions and fucking.
Or, what I like to call "a real good Saturday night."
I get one of those every week people! Stop Complaining!
Neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 09:03 PM   #83
JuanBolio
Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
QFFT
You two have no idea what you're talking about.

This has been an official JuanBolio post. You are now stronger, smarter, and a better human being for having read it. Congratulations.
JuanBolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 09:14 PM   #84
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

NiteTrek wrote: View Post
Looks like there are waitress stations on both sides of the bridge. One for sandwiches, one for drinks perhaps?
Or maybe Bellman and Concierge.

It certainly isn't what we are used to seeing from our typical Star Trek films -- that is it isn't BermanTrek, nor is it RoddenberryTrek -- it is very, very different.

Aside from the clichéd opening scene of the trailer (maybe that scene will translate better in the context of the film) I thought the rest of the trailer made the movie look great. It does't look like anything like Star Trek 1-10, but it still looked like a fun, exciting, and interesting film...and isn't that what we want?

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 09:14 PM   #85
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

My only real problem with it is that people are driving motorcycles and old cars in the 23d century. Fucking ridiculous. Otherwise, seemed pretty cool. I like the look of the ship's interior, and I'm glad they used the classic uniforms.
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 09:23 PM   #86
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

^
^^There are people today who still use 19th-century modes of transportation to get around (sailboats, rowboats, horses, etc.). Horse-and buggies are still popular today in some rural countries, and even in some parts of the U.S.

Maybe George Kirk Senior collects old cars and motorcycles.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 09:26 PM   #87
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
^
^^

Could be. We'll have to see the scene in context to know for sure, I guess.
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 09:26 PM   #88
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Nerdius Maximus wrote: View Post
My only real problem with it is that people are driving motorcycles and old cars in the 23d century.
even in the 24th century Tom Paris knew of old trucks and camaros
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 09:27 PM   #89
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

To Jackson_Roykirk: That av.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 09:29 PM   #90
Classic Fan
Rear Admiral

View Classic Fan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Classic Fan

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
^
^^There are people today who still use 19th-century modes of transportation to get around (sailboats, rowboats, horses, etc.). Horse-and buggies are still popular today in some rural countries, and even in some parts of the U.S.

Well, err....

It also makes sense as Kirk collects antiques.

Maybe picked up the hobby at a young age from his father or similar role model figure.

And yeah, there are still really old modes of tansport and equipment still used. In my local town, Faversham, Kent UK, where we have Britains oldest brewer, we have a horse drawn delivery cart from 1855 Still works, looks great, and still used.
"Course your not,your not scared of anything. Box falls out the sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard. Look at you, just sittin' there,you know what i think? Must be helluva scary crack in your wall" - The Doctor
Classic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote