RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,887
Posts: 5,222,552
Members: 24,232
Currently online: 523
Newest member: shadow55

TrekToday headlines

De Lancie Joins Mind Puppets
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Cumberbatch One Of Time Magazine’s Most Influential
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Trek Actor Smithsonian Magazine Cover First
By: T'Bonz on Apr 24

Takei To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Yelchin In New Comedy
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

U.S. Rights For Pegg Comedy Secured
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Shatner: Aging and Work
By: T'Bonz on Apr 23

Kurtzman And Orci Go Solo
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Star Trek #32 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 15 2008, 04:25 PM   #61
NiteTrek
Captain
 
Location: Subspace
Re: New ST:XI trailer

Looks like there are waitress stations on both sides of the bridge. One for sandwiches, one for drinks perhaps?
NiteTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 04:34 PM   #62
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral
 
Re: New ST:XI trailer

Just saw the youtube version.

Looks pretty good.

However I don't like the "Apple" look of the ship interior. this coming from someone who likes Apple design mind you. It just doesn't feel 'Trek' (referring only to the interior design).

Everything else looks good, and I think the trailer does a very good job of 'relaunching' Star Trek as a big event, it has the aura of newness without getting caught in the 'geek baggage'.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 05:03 PM   #63
Stardate
Fleet Captain
 
Stardate's Avatar
 
Re: New ST:XI trailer

Just saw trailer. AWESOME, just Awesome. Forget the old telefilms with old TOS crew. New Trek has arrived
__________________
Star Trek change everything, and aren't this convention wonderful: William Shatner
Stardate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 06:44 PM   #64
Wonderlust King
Captain
 
Wonderlust King's Avatar
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Send a message via AIM to Wonderlust King
Re: New ST:XI trailer

Just saw the trailer. This movie looks like a giant steaming pile of garbage. I had high hopes for it. I really was looking forward to it. Then I saw it. In a desperate attempt to appeal to a wider audience J.J.Abrhams has destroyed what is Star Trek, instead he is going to turn it to just another one of these shitty hollywood movies about explosions and fucking. I'm going to miss you Star Trek, I really am. Instead of being about a hope for a brighter future you will be about a hope for a sexy explosion filled future. Everything Star Trek stood for in the past, is now being blown to bits just like all the stupid fucking explosions that are going to happen in this movie just to appeal to the 13 year old kids. I'm going to ask you, fans of the old star trek, is this really worth it?
__________________
"A true friend stabs you in the front" - Oscar Wilde
Wonderlust King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 06:55 PM   #65
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral
 
SalvorHardin's Avatar
 
Location: Star's End
View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: New ST:XI trailer

Wonderlust King wrote: View Post
Just saw the trailer. This movie looks like a giant steaming pile of garbage. I had high hopes for it. I really was looking forward to it. Then I saw it. In a desperate attempt to appeal to a wider audience J.J.Abrhams has destroyed what is Star Trek, instead he is going to turn it to just another one of these shitty hollywood movies about explosions and fucking. I'm going to miss you Star Trek, I really am. Instead of being about a hope for a brighter future you will be about a hope for a sexy explosion filled future. Everything Star Trek stood for in the past, is now being blown to bits just like all the stupid fucking explosions that are going to happen in this movie just to appeal to the 13 year old kids. I'm going to ask you, fans of the old star trek, is this really worth it?
Bull...

Almost all of your post is an exaggeration based on very little actual information about a movie you have not seen yet or know much about the actual plot and character development.

Yes it's worth giving this movie a chance.
SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 06:58 PM   #66
Sector 7
Rear Admiral
 
Sector 7's Avatar
 
Location: McCrory/Hitler's Republic of North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: New ST:XI trailer

Wonderlust King wrote: View Post
Just saw the trailer. This movie looks like a giant steaming pile of garbage. I had high hopes for it. I really was looking forward to it. Then I saw it. In a desperate attempt to appeal to a wider audience J.J.Abrhams has destroyed what is Star Trek, instead he is going to turn it to just another one of these shitty hollywood movies about explosions and fucking. I'm going to miss you Star Trek, I really am. Instead of being about a hope for a brighter future you will be about a hope for a sexy explosion filled future. Everything Star Trek stood for in the past, is now being blown to bits just like all the stupid fucking explosions that are going to happen in this movie just to appeal to the 13 year old kids. I'm going to ask you, fans of the old star trek, is this really worth it?
YES. Trailers are commercial advertisements. They are designed to hook you using action, sex appeal, drama, comedy or whatever else it takes... and do it all in 30-120 seconds. I don't expect the movie to be all action. I expect the trailer to be exciting enough to fill theater seats. Once I am in that seat, I will expect more.
__________________
“When all Americans are treated as equal, no matter who they are or whom they love, we are all more free.” -Pres. Obama
"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon." -Pres. Clinton
Sector 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 06:59 PM   #67
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: New ST:XI trailer

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
J
However I don't like the "Apple" look of the ship interior. this coming from someone who likes Apple design mind you. It just doesn't feel 'Trek' (referring only to the interior design).
Maybe the Enterprise runs on Mac OSX

Jaster wrote: View Post
Ethros wrote: View Post
Scotty sounds like's he's just come from Trainspotting
By that, do you mean he actually sounds Scottish?
He reminded me of David Tennant with the wide eyed and mouth expression
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 07:04 PM   #68
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: New ST:XI trailer

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
Just saw the youtube version.

Looks pretty good.

However I don't like the "Apple" look of the ship interior. this coming from someone who likes Apple design mind you. It just doesn't feel 'Trek' (referring only to the interior design).
I agree it doesn't look anything like the Trek we're used to, but that's what I LIKE about it.

Herman Zimmerman and the other designers have definitely come up with some great stuff the last 20 years or so, but by the end it was feeling awfully stale and predictable to me-- every new bridge or ship interior looked like just a slight variation of one we saw before.

Now we got a Trek that actually looks fresh and new. Even if I don't yet love every little design element that Abrams came up with, it's exciting just to see some new ideas, and something that breaks the mold Trek has been stuck in forever.

Plus I just love the bright, glowy, futuristic look of these interiors. The dim and shadowy interiors from before were nice too, but, again, it's been done to death already. Time for a new look.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 07:06 PM   #69
milo bloom
Fleet Captain
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Location: The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
Re: New ST:XI trailer

Well, I'm not impressed. It's going to be an interesting addition to my DVD collection and a neat little flick to watch here and there, but I'm not seeing the reinvigoration of the franchise that this project was supposed to bring.

Does look like there'll be some impressive starship porn though, that's always good.
milo bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 07:07 PM   #70
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: New ST:XI trailer

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post

He reminded me of David Tennant with the wide eyed and mouth expression
That was EXACTLY who it sounded like to me too. I was like "wait, how did The Doctor get in this movie??" lol
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 07:13 PM   #71
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend
 
Re: New ST:XI trailer

Wonderlust King wrote: View Post
instead he is going to turn it to just...about explosions and fucking.
Or, what I like to call "a real good Saturday night."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 07:16 PM   #72
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral
 
USS Mariner's Avatar
 
Location: Homestate of Matt Jefferies
View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner
Re: New ST:XI trailer

Hell, I'm willing to give this thing a try. I now expect it look look decent and be mediocre, but it isn't a steaming pile of shit.

The ship on the other hand...
__________________
Ignorance is forgivable,
Arrogance is reprehensible,
Narcissism is intolerable.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 07:18 PM   #73
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: New ST:XI trailer

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
Wonderlust King wrote: View Post
Just saw the trailer. This movie looks like a giant steaming pile of garbage. I had high hopes for it. I really was looking forward to it. Then I saw it. In a desperate attempt to appeal to a wider audience J.J.Abrhams has destroyed what is Star Trek, instead he is going to turn it to just another one of these shitty hollywood movies about explosions and fucking. I'm going to miss you Star Trek, I really am. Instead of being about a hope for a brighter future you will be about a hope for a sexy explosion filled future. Everything Star Trek stood for in the past, is now being blown to bits just like all the stupid fucking explosions that are going to happen in this movie just to appeal to the 13 year old kids. I'm going to ask you, fans of the old star trek, is this really worth it?
YES. Trailers are commercial advertisements. They are designed to hook you using action, sex appeal, drama, comedy or whatever else it takes... and do it all in 30-120 seconds. I don't expect the movie to be all action. I expect the trailer to be exciting enough to fill theater seats. Once I am in that seat, I will expect more.
Agreed. I definitely get the sense this is going to have a lot of dynamic, fast-paced action in it, but that's not ALL the movie is going to be. Abrams has always been pretty good in the past at balancing the story, drama, and action in his shows and movies.

He's hardly another Michael Bay or Stephen Sommers.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 07:21 PM   #74
hamudm
Rear Admiral
 
hamudm's Avatar
 
Location: Langley, B.C., Canada
View hamudm's Twitter Profile
Re: New ST:XI trailer

I liked it.
__________________
hamudm's DVD's
hamudm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 07:24 PM   #75
RedSpar
Lieutenant Commander
 
RedSpar's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, WA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to RedSpar
Re: New ST:XI trailer

JJ Abrams probably made the trailer super fast paced just so us Trek nutters would go thru and analyze each and every frame.
RedSpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
new movie; star trek xi, trailer

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.