Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old November 14 2008, 05:33 PM   #16
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

Re: New ST:XI trailer

I don't get why they're not releasing it today. It is attached to a competitor's film, after all. The Watchmen trailer went online this morning; why do we have to wait until Monday?

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out. In order to have the Trek XI trailer attached to the Bond movie, Paramount probably had to agree to keep the trailer offline until Monday so as to not impact the weekend take for MGM.

Last edited by Rat Boy; November 14 2008 at 05:50 PM.
Rat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2008, 06:11 PM   #17
Shatterhand
Lieutenant

I'll be seeing Quantum of Solace tonight, and I'm trying not to get my hopes of seeing the ST trailer up too high, since it seems that quite a few theaters did not show it before their copy of QoS. It wouldn't surprise me whatsoever if it didn't make its way here to Milwaukee.

And, as much as I want to see it, I don't want a "shakycam" version. It's bad enough when you're in a theater and people around you just won't shut their popcorn-holes because they think the trailers are fair game to talk through and fiddle with their cell phones and come waltzing in at the last minute to find their seats (heaven forbid you actually make an attempt to get to the movie theater early!). To have all of that happening around some guy holding a cam like he just did a triple espresso with a shot of Jolt, trying to film a trailer...nah, pass.

Monday comes fast enough for me; I'll wait until then if it's before QoS tonight.
Shatterhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2008, 06:14 PM   #18
seigezunt
Vice Admiral

Location: Splashing on some Tiberius before a night on the town

Shatterhand wrote: View Post
I'll be seeing Quantum of Solace tonight, and I'm trying not to get my hopes of seeing the ST trailer up too high, since it seems that quite a few theaters did not show it before their copy of QoS. It wouldn't surprise me whatsoever if it didn't make its way here to Milwaukee.

And, as much as I want to see it, I don't want a "shakycam" version. It's bad enough when you're in a theater and people around you just won't shut their popcorn-holes because they think the trailers are fair game to talk through and fiddle with their cell phones and come waltzing in at the last minute to find their seats (heaven forbid you actually make an attempt to get to the movie theater early!). To have all of that happening around some guy holding a cam like he just did a triple espresso with a shot of Jolt, trying to film a trailer...nah, pass.

Monday comes fast enough for me; I'll wait until then if it's before QoS tonight.
Yeah, I'm trying to avoid Youtube till Monday. Seeing the shaky cam of the teaser ruined it a speck for me.
I am constantly surprised by the close-mindedness of some fans...this means change as well as a positive attitude. Without those things, how can we ever achieve that Trek future we enjoyed so much on TV? --Bjo Trimble
seigezunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2008, 06:41 PM   #19
Tom
Rear Admiral

People will have cams of the QoS out by tommorow so im sure some will also extract the trailer as well.
Old November 14 2008, 07:56 PM   #20
Quark's Lobe
Commander

Just got back from seeing the trailer. I'm one of those uber geeks who show up just for the trailer and don't stay for the movie. In fact, I'm one of those uber-uber geeks who call seven or eight theaters first to make sure they are showing the trailer after the recent rumors of many not atttaching the Trek trailer to Quantum. (By the way, several did not).

Trailer spoilers here on out:::::::::::::

Friggin' unbelievable!!!! In a good way. Everything about this movie just screams epic. Flashbacks to little kid Kirk, flashbacks to little kid Spock, Amanda and Sarek, Pike doing the voiceover, Sarek doing a portion of the voiceover (I think???). Huge panoramic shots of Vulcan. When James T. Kirk pulls into the frame on his motorcycle, it wasn't Shatner, but it WAS James T. Kirk. Very hard to explain, but I'm blown away. The shot of Enterprise being built on the ground with Kirk looking on - wow. Really brings the shot of him watching it fall out of the sky in Movie 3 come full circle.

And the music! Pulse-poundingly great. And from what I understand that is actually from the movie's score, so even better. {Edit: Apparently it was edited by Giacchino but is not from the score.} I literally had this dopey grin throughout the entire trailer, as the music continued to build and build.

Congratulations all around to the director, producers, writers, actors, and all involved with this film. I think you just made Star Trek cool again.

Last edited by Quark's Lobe; November 14 2008 at 08:12 PM.
Quark's Lobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2008, 08:01 PM   #21
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

Quark's Lobe wrote: View Post
And the music! Pulse-poundingly great. And from what I understand that is actually from the movie's score, so even better. I literally had this dopey grin throught the entire trailer, as the music continued to build and build.
Really great to hear. However, the score is from the "Children of Dune" miniseries, from what I've read.

I'll post my thoughts on it tomorrow night after seeing it with my crew.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2008, 08:04 PM   #22
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

However, the score is from the "Children of Dune" miniseries, from what I've read.
That soundtrack sure gets around! Though I understand why its very strong.

Sharr
Sharr Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2008, 08:08 PM   #23
Sheridan
Lieutenant

Send a message via AIM to Sheridan

Quark's Lobe wrote: View Post
Just got back from seeing the trailer. I'm one of those uber geeks who show up just for the trailer and don't stay for the movie. In fact, I'm one of those uber-uber geeks who call seven or eight theaters first to make sure they are showing the trailer after the recent rumors of many not atttaching the Trek trailer to Quantum. (By the way, several did not).

Trailer spoilers here on out:::::::::::::

Friggin' unbelievable!!!! In a good way. Everything about this movie just screams epic. Flashbacks to little kid Kirk, flashbacks to little kid Spock, Amanda and Sarek, Pike doing the voiceover, Sarek doing a portion of the voiceover (I think???). Huge panoramic shots of Vulcan. When James T. Kirk pulls into the frame on his motorcycle, it wasn't Shatner, but it WAS James T. Kirk. Very hard to explain, but I'm blown away. The shot of Enterprise being built on the ground with Kirk looking on - wow. Really brings the shot of him watching it fall out of the sky in Movie 3 come full circle.

And the music! Pulse-poundingly great. And from what I understand that is actually from the movie's score, so even better. I literally had this dopey grin throught the entire trailer, as the music continued to build and build.

Congratulations all around to the director, producers, writers, actors, and all involved with this film. I think you just made Star Trek cool again.
Wow, nice to see some optimism about the movie on this forum. Thank you.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2008, 08:09 PM   #24
Quark's Lobe
Commander

OneBuckFilms wrote: View Post

Really great to hear. However, the score is from the "Children of Dune" miniseries, from what I've read.
^^

Thanks for that correction. Trekmovie.com says it was edited for the trailer by Giacchino, so still an excellent indication of his taste and the stye he's going for.
Old November 14 2008, 08:18 PM   #25
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I absolutely loved the trailer. It was very epic, all-around. I loved how you didn't know it was a Star Trek film until little Kirk announces his name. People kind of appreciatingly laughed at that, and I think people (at least in my theater) were swayed by the end of it (approving nods and such).

Regardless of what others thought, I enjoyed the living hell out of it. The movie simply put looks gorgeous. It honestly kind of feels like Star Wars, but I think that's because no Star Trek movie has been given this scope before.

I will say some of the cinematography was interesting (the all-white of the Enterprise bridge, which at first seemed jarring, now kind of gells with Abrams' past work, in my opinion, so I can see where he's going with his aesthetic choices I think). Some of the shots were...some of them were cool, some of them were confusing, let me just say (especially the shot with the Vulcan Council, where the camera angle was sort of slanted on its side...very interesting, but a bit vertigo-inducing at the same time).

Anyway, bring on May 2009!
Old November 14 2008, 08:57 PM   #26
ralph
Captain

I want to see the trailer. I want to see the trailer. I want to see the trailer.
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2008, 09:15 PM   #27
EnsignYoshi
Commander

ralph wrote: View Post
I want to see the trailer. I want to see the trailer. I want to see the trailer.
I totally second that emotion. It wasn't attached to QoS in belgium...Ugh...
EnsignYoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2008, 10:54 PM   #28
shipfisher
Commander

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
^Same here. I'll catch it online. Since that site may be overwhelmed, I'm thinking you will have time to sleep first.
Exactly. I'd say "overwhelmed" will probably describe that site for several hours after the trailer launch. If frustration isn't your thing, give it a while. It should provide a good textbook case on how to crash servers and such. I've noted a few trek sites slowing to a crawl, download-wise, just from response to the 1701 pic this week, so the interest is out there.

Great to see some good reviews trickling in. I think that even the grumps on these boards are gonna be happy campers in May (even if some won't admit it).
shipfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2008, 11:21 PM   #29
fleetcaptain
Fleet Captain

View fleetcaptain's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to fleetcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to fleetcaptain

Saw it earlier too when I saw the new Bond movie. I thought it was great too. A great way to show 13 yo James T. Kirk and then go forward. I truely think this will be a big blockbuster than any of the previous trek movies. Can't wait now. Glad they did move it til May. Makes for a better year now.
Also got to see the new Enterprise in action and it looked great. The Nacelles do go over the top of the saucer just like the old verison. Just like Church and Probert defending the first pic of the ship, that view doesn't do justice til you see this trailer.
Shows a lot of battle scenes as well. Oh also, it's Uhura and Kirk getting it on too.
fleetcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2008, 11:58 PM   #30
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

The crowd at my theater laughed.

I've been dead set on remaining optimistic about this flick but the trailer didn't fill me with much confidence.

I must remain confident.
I must remain confident.
I must remain confident.
I must remain confident
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote