TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old January 3 2009, 04:10 AM   #391
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Re: The New Enterprise in 3D! ... NOW FINISHED (threads merged)

Some updates on the engines...

It's coming along nicely.

-=MadMan=-
MadMan1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2009, 06:47 AM   #392
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Another Update...

-=MadMan=-
Old January 3 2009, 07:00 AM   #393
judexavier
Commander

PixelMagic wrote: View Post
Yeah, if you want to send me your updated plans, just post them in this thread...

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=76944

Or send me a PM, and I'll give you my email.
Yeah, I'll get them up at some point, eventually. Hopefully. Until Paramount releases another round of hi rez screen caps. They've got friggin' red correction lines all over the top at the moment, still haven't finished the front, barely started on the top...
I do appreciate the new photos, though. One thing in particular, the shape of the shuttle bay...that hull seems to curve into some odd angles back there. And those bussards have some interesting imbedded "lips" and edges.

What do you think of the "greenhouse" glass dome texture? I thought that was kinda weird...at some point earlier I was planning on using hex shapes for that "framing"...oh well.

Anyway, great work you guys are doing!
judexavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2009, 07:22 AM   #394
trekkerguy
Commodore

View trekkerguy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkerguy

Judexavier I've used your orthos to start building a 3D model of the Enterprise. Take a look. (CLICK TO ENLARGE)

MadMan1701A, have you released your Enterprise publicly? If you have, could you give me a download link? I'd love to look at your mesh to see how you did your secondary hull. I'm worried about doing that part.
I'd love to see an NX-01 made using this look.
Old January 3 2009, 05:28 PM   #395
MadMan1701A
Commodore

trekkerguy wrote: View Post
Judexavier I've used your orthos to start building a 3D model of the Enterprise. Take a look. (CLICK TO ENLARGE)

MadMan1701A, have you released your Enterprise publicly? If you have, could you give me a download link? I'd love to look at your mesh to see how you did your secondary hull. I'm worried about doing that part.
I'd love to see an NX-01 made using this look.
That would definitely be cool.

Here's an update... I actually have a lighting effect for this now!

This looks better than some glowing parts, like I had before.
-=MadMan=-
Old January 3 2009, 05:34 PM   #396
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Nice work--this is the best looking version of the ship you've done so far. That last image really brings out why the curved struts are bugging the hell out of me: they just don't look structurally sound. At all.
Old January 3 2009, 05:53 PM   #397
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Nice work--this is the best looking version of the ship you've done so far. That last image really brings out why the curved struts are bugging the hell out of me: they just don't look structurally sound. At all.
Thanks.

They are really looking weird from some angles... I wonder who made the decision to make them curved, at all....

Here's some tweaking of the lights...

-=MadMan=-

Last edited by MadMan1701A; January 3 2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Added Image
Old January 3 2009, 10:49 PM   #398
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

MadMan1701A wrote: View Post
Thanks.

They are really looking weird from some angles... I wonder who made the decision to make them curved, at all....

-=MadMan=-
I think that (having let go of the preconceptions) this is turning out to look like the "real" thing very closely now... good work.

And I've been saying all along just how much those damned curved pylons bug me... unless they're supposed to be "leaf springs" rather than "supports," there's no possible way anyone with a technical background would have signed off on that. And they just look bad, to boot, I think, besides being fragile.

As I said before, I actually LIKE your earlier version better... but this looks more like what we'll be seeing on-screen.

Have you considered doing a render from the "Biker Kirk's perspective" angle? It'd be interesting to compare that to the trailer's image...

One thing I SUSPECT (but can't say for certain) is that the repositioning of the nacelle connection points to the secondary hull is probably at least in part due to a desire to have the pylons go underneath the hangar deck floor (or rather, have the hanger deck floor be the top of the nacelle pylon "u-shape?"). Just a thought... dunno if it's right or not.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2009, 01:22 AM   #399
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
MadMan1701A wrote: View Post
Thanks.

-=MadMan=-
I think that (having let go of the preconceptions) this is turning out to look like the "real" thing very closely now... good work.

And I've been saying all along just how much those damned curved pylons bug me... unless they're supposed to be "leaf springs" rather than "supports," there's no possible way anyone with a technical background would have signed off on that. And they just look bad, to boot, I think, besides being fragile.

As I said before, I actually LIKE your earlier version better... but this looks more like what we'll be seeing on-screen.

Have you considered doing a render from the "Biker Kirk's perspective" angle? It'd be interesting to compare that to the trailer's image...

One thing I SUSPECT (but can't say for certain) is that the repositioning of the nacelle connection points to the secondary hull is probably at least in part due to a desire to have the pylons go underneath the hangar deck floor (or rather, have the hanger deck floor be the top of the nacelle pylon "u-shape?"). Just a thought... dunno if it's right or not.
Thanks.

I think I will plan on making a render like that... Maybe I can even insert myself like a vacation picture.

I agree about the u-shape and the pylon connections ending up underneath the hangar deck. That actually makes alot of sense, I think. I also think it could have been done without curving the pylons, too, though.

(the latest image)

-=MadMan=-
Old January 4 2009, 08:52 AM   #400
PixelMagic
Lieutenant Commander

Very nice, MadMan. Here is what I am with mine...

Some detail work on the saucer bottom sensor dome, and overall roughing in of shapes. This is a difficult ship to model for me.

PixelMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2009, 03:43 PM   #401
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Very nice, MadMan. Here is what I am with mine...

Some detail work on the saucer bottom sensor dome, and overall roughing in of shapes. This is a difficult ship to model for me.

Looking good. I think this is going to be a hard ship for anyone to model.

-=MadMan=-
Old January 4 2009, 03:51 PM   #402
Johnnymuffintop
Commander

Send a message via AIM to Johnnymuffintop Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Johnnymuffintop Send a message via Yahoo to Johnnymuffintop

Madman, LOVE the new nacelles (especially the warp coil bit) and the shape of the shuttlebay.

As for both Madman and PixelMagic, WOW! I'm amazed as to how quickly you guys can update your work. If only I had both of your combined knowledge and speed in modelling. I'd have a fleet done by now (since I don't have work or class to get in my way... until monday :O)
Johnnymuffintop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2009, 05:05 PM   #403
Woulfe
Commodore

Wow, these are coming along great guys, nice work everyone doing this the hard way in Blender and so forth.

Here's mine again with better lighting so one can see it better then the dark image I posted before.

I just built a black box around the ship in Second Life while it was daytime then took this photo, so basically it's daylight just with a black background if someone wants to plop in stars, planets, whatever they like to, feel free.

- W -
* Now to figure out making the Kelvin in Second Life *
Woulfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4 2009, 05:18 PM   #404
MadMan1701A
Commodore

Woulfe wrote: View Post
Wow, these are coming along great guys, nice work everyone doing this the hard way in Blender and so forth.

Here's mine again with better lighting so one can see it better then the dark image I posted before.

I just built a black box around the ship in Second Life while it was daytime then took this photo, so basically it's daylight just with a black background if someone wants to plop in stars, planets, whatever they like to, feel free.

- W -
* Now to figure out making the Kelvin in Second Life *
That's not bad, considering the limitations you have to work with. So, in game, is this like a freestanding sculpture, or something? I'm not that familiar with Second Life.

-=MadMan=-
Old January 4 2009, 09:21 PM   #405
ancient
Vice Admiral

These latest versions look the most accurate so far. And....damn, but they also don't look as good as the earlier versions.

The curved struts...WHY? They both look like shit AND make no sense, so...WHY?

My other major beef with this ship is the uncovered front of the neck, and top/front of the engine hull. It's like they just ran out of hull plates and decided to leave that part of the ship without its outer hull. The resulting wrinkle makes the whole thing look kinda like a poorly snapped-together plastic model.

Those two things are my biggest problems because they seem to make the design uglier AND less believeable.

Other things, like the saucer being a totally different color, and having a totally different hull texture from the rest of the ship...purely an artistic gaff.