Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old November 16 2008, 05:10 AM   #1
Johnny Rico
Rear Admiral

View Johnny Rico's Twitter Profile
Clone Wars feature film

OK, so I finally got my Clone Wars DVD today and watched the film for the first time, after having seen the series up until now. Amd quite frankly, I thought the film was pretty good. Knowing how the series is, I think it can lower expectations to a degree. But that said, and after having listened to the commentary and watching the special features on the DVD, including clips from many episodes of Season 1 of the series, I gotta say that this series will someday be looked upon as classic Star Wars canon.

The way the producers are marketing this series is that they are taking the Star Wars Universe and expanding it beyond the story of Anakin Skywalker. Which I think is something the Star Wars franchise has been lacking in film/TV since its inception in '77. There is just so much more out there in the Star Wars Universe that it can make for many interesting stories.

Judging from the clips of the episodes we have yet to see, this series is gonna be great. Apparently there's another trilogy of episodes coming up dealing with some planet.

But one thing is for sure though...this series in indeed rendered in 2.40:1 unlike the 1.78:1 ratio we see CN broadcasting it in. So hopefully the eventual DVD release of Season 1 will be in the correct ratio.
Johnny Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2008, 05:33 AM   #2
Siwilliams
Fleet Captain

Re: Clone Wars feature film

The Clone Wars movie is decent, though I found the narration annoying and some of the Jabba the hutt kid stuff
Siwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2008, 05:49 AM   #3
cylkoth
Commodore

For those who watched it back in August, was anything cut or edited out from the theatrical release? There was a great deal of whooping and hollering over Hutt scenes, iirc, involving a female hutt, or something...I was surprised to find that the movie wasn't the epic fail many posters labeled it as. Kinda dragged in the middle, but all in all, a decent movie.
Old November 16 2008, 05:57 AM   #4
Siwilliams
Fleet Captain

cylkoth wrote: View Post
For those who watched it back in August, was anything cut or edited out from the theatrical release? There was a great deal of whooping and hollering over Hutt scenes, iirc, involving a female hutt, or something...I was surprised to find that the movie wasn't the epic fail many posters labeled it as. Kinda dragged in the middle, but all in all, a decent movie.
There was no female hutt in the theatrical release and as far as I know the dvd is the exact same version as the theatrical release
Siwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2008, 06:26 AM   #5
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

Ziro the Hutt was foppish...and effeminant. Someone said a tribute to Truman Capote. I found him quite hilarious.

I'm not sure why you'd send tanks straight up a mountain instead of using gunships.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2008, 08:33 AM   #6
captcalhoun
Admiral

because it's KEWL!

i did like it though, and i'm enjoying the series (5:30PM, Sky Movies Premiere, Saturdays)
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2008, 04:53 PM   #7
Ethros
Vice Admiral

^ Why do Sky have to put it on the movie channels, when it's a frakking TV show?
I have Sky but don't pay the extra for the movies as I'd never watch them. Why don't they put this on Sky One? Bastards
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2008, 05:30 PM   #8
captcalhoun
Admiral

possibly because Sky One's schedule was too full.
Old November 16 2008, 05:33 PM   #9
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

I recently purchased the DVD, and if I get a spare couple hours, I will actually watch it.
Old November 16 2008, 06:03 PM   #10
CaptainWacky
Rear Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
possibly because Sky One's schedule was too full.
Yeah, they couldn't lose just ONE episode of the Simpsons a week...
Old November 16 2008, 10:55 PM   #11
captcalhoun
Admiral

*shrug* at least on SMP we get it without commercials...
Old November 16 2008, 11:11 PM   #12
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I was deeply disappointed with how low The Clone Wars seems to be aiming. The excuse for it is that it's trying to be a kids show, nothing more. I think the live action movies have proven that a good adventure story can & should appeal to kids & adults alike. It's pure laziness that The Clone Wars is dumbing itself down so far that only children could possibly find any real entertainment in it. I'm told that the TV series is slightly better than the movie because it focuses more on the minor, undeveloped characters of the franchise rather than just running Anakin Skywalker into the ground. Still, this seems to have all the sophistication of my best friend & I playing with action figures back in 4th grade. That's fine if you're making up the adventures yourself but it's death to watch other people do it.
Old November 17 2008, 12:12 AM   #13
Christopher
Writer

Siwilliams wrote: View Post
The Clone Wars movie is decent, though I found the narration annoying...
Is it the same Tom Kane narration we get at the beginning of the show's episodes? I kind of like that. It sounds like a '40s newsreel announcer, fitting the WWII-movie flavor that the producers are going for. It also evokes the opening crawls of the movies, but in a form that can be absorbed faster by the viewer and works better in a half-hour show.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 05:54 AM   #14
suarezguy
Commodore

"turning every shade of green except the one he's supposed to be" was an especially annoying line; I kind of like Anakin, and was disappointed by his portrayal in this film; most of the character designs were bad, especially Dooku, and Jabba was taken down too much.
Old November 17 2008, 06:48 AM   #15
nx1701g
Admiral

Question (somewhat off topic) was this released on DVD as well? All I've seen are Blu-Ray copies of it.