RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,115
Posts: 5,400,686
Members: 24,744
Currently online: 441
Newest member: Ohwowmelody

TrekToday headlines

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old November 13 2008, 12:34 PM   #16
theenglish
Rear Admiral
 
theenglish's Avatar
 
Location: Suriname
Re: Iron Man

From a sheer enjoyment standpoint, Iron Man was more fun than the Dark Knight and much easier to sit through. I would enjoy seeing more in the future, definitely.

Unfortunately, for every Marvel film that hits the right notes, there are three or four that miss the boat altogether (Fantastic Four, X-Men 3, etc).
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2008, 12:41 PM   #17
Klaus
Rear Admiral
 
Klaus's Avatar
 
Location: Beach condo, Bay of Eldamar
View Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: Iron Man

One of the best actor-role combos I've ever seen...
__________________
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
t-shirts!
deviantArt
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2008, 02:33 AM   #18
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: Iron Man

Alpha_Geek wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I know everyone and his dog has already seen this but I waited for it to come out on DVD. It was pretty much as I anticipated: a serviceable plotline, and Robert Downey Jr. kicked it right into the stratosphere.

Favorite scene: Tony Stark testing out his power gloves by blowing up his lab while the TV plays atrocities in the background. That is what a great actor can bring to a movie. Who needs dialogue? Who needs a screenwriter? Great stuff!

Marvel is onto something great here. Edward Norton as Bruce Banner, Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark, Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury - just cast Captain America well and throw them into some movies together with the requisite ZAP POW action scenes. The characters are what will carry the stories.

The S.H.I.E.L.D. gag was good. Duh, I didn't get it till the end.
...you waited through the credits like a good girl didn't ya? Nice easter egg there.
Zapped the credits to get to the end. I always check that on DVDs.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2008, 03:35 AM   #19
Pensive
Fleet Captain
 
Pensive's Avatar
 
Location: I'm an avocado farmer, motherfucker!
View Pensive's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Pensive Send a message via Yahoo to Pensive
Re: Iron Man

NickRyder wrote: View Post
I've seen Iron Man at least a dozen times since I got the DVD and I have to say, it hasn't gotten old. Granted now I'm getting pretty good at knowing all/most of the lines. But it still makes me laugh, still makes me go "YEAHHHH!" when Iron Man punches it the first time.

Same here-- this movie is still as fun as the first time I saw it
__________________
DADGUMMIT BLAMTUCKY, I AIN'T REPROGRAMMING A VCR!!!
Pensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2008, 06:28 AM   #20
Siwilliams
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Iron Man

Iron Man = Best Marvel Movie ever

The Incredible Hulk (2008) = Second Best Marvel movie ever
Siwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2008, 01:57 PM   #21
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Iron Man

theenglish wrote: View Post
...Unfortunately, for every Marvel film that hits the right notes, there are three or four that miss the boat altogether (Fantastic Four, X-Men 3, etc).
To be fair, that's mostly because there have been so many in just the last eight years. Off the top of my head there's been 3 each from Blade, Spider-Man & X-Men, 2 (not very)Fantastic Four movies, 2 Hulks, Daredevil, Elektra, Ghost Rider, one Punisher film (with another on it's way) so that's what? 17? With another half dozen or so due in the next 2-3 years.
Now DC on the other hand has had *counts on fingers* three movies in that same amount of time so it's no wonder the batting average is a little skewed in DC's favour.
Still, you could argue that DC have just been more careful with who they allow to develop their properties, possibly due to what Joel and his neon electric rubber nipples did back in the 90's. I can certainly see why Marvel seam to want to take more direct control over what gets made from here on out but I think it'd be naive to expect everything to be of the same standard of 'Iron Man', but at least I think we won't get another 'Fantastic Four' style dud.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2008, 03:18 PM   #22
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: Iron Man

Reverend wrote: View Post
so it's no wonder the batting average is a little skewed in DC's favour.
Heh...nobody was saying that before The Dark Knight came out. One viable franchise doth not a studio make.
__________________
50 years ago on July 6: A Hard Day's Night premieres in London.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2008, 03:30 PM   #23
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Iron Man

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
so it's no wonder the batting average is a little skewed in DC's favour.
Heh...nobody was saying that before The Dark Knight came out. One viable franchise doth not a studio make.
Except for the fourth movie the Supeman movies did rather well at the box office too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superma...ce_performance
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2008, 05:56 PM   #24
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Old Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: Iron Man

^I didn't present Reverend's entire quote, but he was speaking of the last eight years, and my reply was in that context.
__________________
50 years ago on July 6: A Hard Day's Night premieres in London.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16 2008, 06:24 PM   #25
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: Iron Man

Reverend wrote: View Post
theenglish wrote: View Post
...Unfortunately, for every Marvel film that hits the right notes, there are three or four that miss the boat altogether (Fantastic Four, X-Men 3, etc).
To be fair, that's mostly because there have been so many in just the last eight years. Off the top of my head there's been 3 each from Blade, Spider-Man & X-Men, 2 (not very)Fantastic Four movies, 2 Hulks, Daredevil, Elektra, Ghost Rider, one Punisher film (with another on it's way) so that's what? 17? With another half dozen or so due in the next 2-3 years.
Now DC on the other hand has had *counts on fingers* three movies in that same amount of time so it's no wonder the batting average is a little skewed in DC's favour.
Still, you could argue that DC have just been more careful with who they allow to develop their properties,
Its still a lesser count but people often forget, or just don't know, that Constantine, League of Extrodinary Gentelmen, Catwoman and V for Vendetta are all DC comics properties that came out in this same 10year span(Blade'98 to Punisher War Zone '08) that is being mentioned.
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 12:01 AM   #26
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral
 
The Borgified Corpse's Avatar
 
Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Iron Man

Certainly Marvel's output has outpaced DC's by a substantial margin in the last 10 years. It seems like, on the rare occasions when DC can get its shit together and make a movie, it's often one of their more low key, prestigious Vertigo titles like Constantine, V for Vendetta, or Watchmen. The only mainstream DC heroes to get film adaptations in the last 10 years were Batman, Catwoman, & Superman. They still owe us movies for the Flash, the Green Lantern, & Wonder Woman.

Meanwhile, Marvel has pretty much exhausted its supply of major heroes. You have Blade, Daredevil, Elektra, the Fantastic Four, the Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, the Punisher, Spider-Man, & the X-Men. I think all that's left now of their major heroes are Captain America & Thor.

Personally, I thought Robert Downey Jr. took a mediocre story for Iron Man and turned it into an excellent, fun movie. (Way better than The Incredible Hulk. As for Iron Man being better than The Dark Knight, that's just crazy talk.)
__________________
Kegg: "You're a Trekkie. The capacity to quibble over the minutiae of space opera films is your birthright."
The Borgified Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 12:05 AM   #27
stj
Rear Admiral
 
stj's Avatar
 
Location: the real world
Re: Iron Man

Dark Knight is terminally pretentious, sorry to say. Iron Man is much better made. But it is common to underestimate the light touch, which takes far more coordination than the ham fist in my opinion.
__________________
The people of this country need regime change here, not abroad.
stj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 12:23 AM   #28
Neroon
Mod of balance
 
Neroon's Avatar
 
Location: On my ship the Rocinante
Re: Iron Man

stj wrote: View Post
Dark Knight is terminally pretentious, sorry to say. Iron Man is much better made. But it is common to underestimate the light touch, which takes far more coordination than the ham fist in my opinion.
I wouldn't be that hard on TDK, mostly because I thought it was a very excellent film. A very different kind of film from "Iron Man", and so I can't say it was nowhere near as well-made. But I completely agree with your latter comment on "Iron Man". It takes a deft touch to make a quality, entertaining film that makes use of both dram and humor. That's the type of film I can watch over and over many times. The more intense character study and heavy theme of TDK, while VEYR engrossing, is not something I can take in to omany doses.
__________________
"Those who promote peace have joy."
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 12:58 AM   #29
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Iron Man

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
theenglish wrote: View Post
...Unfortunately, for every Marvel film that hits the right notes, there are three or four that miss the boat altogether (Fantastic Four, X-Men 3, etc).
To be fair, that's mostly because there have been so many in just the last eight years. Off the top of my head there's been 3 each from Blade, Spider-Man & X-Men, 2 (not very)Fantastic Four movies, 2 Hulks, Daredevil, Elektra, Ghost Rider, one Punisher film (with another on it's way) so that's what? 17? With another half dozen or so due in the next 2-3 years.
Now DC on the other hand has had *counts on fingers* three movies in that same amount of time so it's no wonder the batting average is a little skewed in DC's favour.
Still, you could argue that DC have just been more careful with who they allow to develop their properties,
Its still a lesser count but people often forget, or just don't know, that Constantine, League of Extrodinary Gentelmen, Catwoman and V for Vendetta are all DC comics properties that came out in this same 10year span(Blade'98 to Punisher War Zone '08) that is being mentioned.
I did not know Constantine or V For Vendetta were DC comics properties and I loved both movies. Huh! Learn something new every day!

J.
__________________
Visit us at Brony Kingdom!
You will never find a more precious hive of love and humility.
---------
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2008, 02:57 AM   #30
Gertch
Admiral
 
Re: Iron Man

While I was out today I grabbed this DVD. I knew very little about it except the starring role. It took me forever to recognize who the bearded voice belonged to. He sure has changed since Tron.

Not being a big fan of comics I probably missed a lot of inside jokes and references but that didn't matter; I loved this movie. What a lot of fun! Please tell me they have a sequel in the works.

Oh, that magnet thing - that was only to keep shrapnel from his heart? But he improved the power source somehow? I didn't get all that as I have to keep the TV volume low.
Gertch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
marvel

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.