Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old November 12 2008, 01:06 AM   #16
ShamelessMcBundy
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ShamelessMcBundy Send a message via Yahoo to ShamelessMcBundy
Re: Major 'Star Trek XI' Details Emerge

msbae wrote: View Post
I refuse to pass judgment until I have seen the film on May 8th.

Also, since when does James T. Kirk lose a fight when the prize is a beautiful woman? That's Bullshit!
Agreed. And it's a young Kirk after all.
Old November 12 2008, 01:22 AM   #17
Lord Garth

Hmmmm.

Old November 12 2008, 01:41 AM   #18
MattJC
Fleet Captain

Kail wrote: View Post
A small quibble, but could speak volumes. Kirk said in TOS that he barely knew Pike, and had only met him once, when he had taken command of Enterprise.
Reboot.
Old November 12 2008, 01:54 AM   #19
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

MattJC wrote: View Post
Kail wrote: View Post
A small quibble, but could speak volumes. Kirk said in TOS that he barely knew Pike, and had only met him once, when he had taken command of Enterprise.
Reboot.
Yeah?

So what?

Let's hear it for the reboot! Awesome!
Old November 12 2008, 02:07 AM   #20
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

But... this is still going to be about Time Travel... so things are going to get changed.
Old November 12 2008, 02:38 AM   #21
Procutus
Admiral

Man, I'm not sure what to think after reading all that. I knew there were going to be changes and some liberties taken, but there are a couple of things that bug me just a bit. Clearly, this reality is different from the TOS one, at least as far as the Romulans are concerned, since Uhura can speak 3 distinct Romulan dialects and it appears that the crew are going to see what they look like. This last definitely flies in the face of established canon, even more so than the Rommies having a cloaking device in the 22cd century (ENT).

And speaking of ENT, it appears that Scotty's dialogue includes a bit of an homage to that show.

I don't know. Got to think about this a bit more.
Old November 12 2008, 02:41 AM   #22
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Procutus wrote: View Post
Clearly, this reality is different from the TOS one, at least as far as the Romulans are concerned, since Uhura can speak 3 distinct Romulan dialects...
Why is that a problem?

You know, they negotiated that old treaty over "subspace radio." You figure that it was all done in English?

The fact that Uhura speaks Romulan fluently is evidently considered to be an unusual accomplishment. This is probably because Romulan is not a language commonly taught or used on Earth or in Starfleet - which it wouldn't be, if its most recent practical use had been decades earlier.

Then there's the possible "oh, but Uhura didn't mention knowing anything about Romulans in 'Balance Of Terror.'"

True, but that doesn't make the fact that she does know it a violation of canon. Despite Kirk's broadcast announcement to the ship explaining all about the Romulans (for the benefit of the TV audience) it's clearly not unusual for Starfleet officers to know something about them - of the bridge crew on watch we know that at least three did.
Old November 12 2008, 02:47 AM   #23
Procutus
Admiral

^

Good point Polaris, I guess it stands to reason that some people would indeed speak the Romulan language.

I think the idea that Kirk and Sulu engage them in hand-to-hand combat and most likely see that they're of Vulcan stock it the part I'm having a hard time reconciling with the events of 'Balance of Terror'.

Even ENT respected the fact that there was no face-to-face with the Rommies back then.
Old November 12 2008, 02:48 AM   #24
DarkHelmet
Admiral

View DarkHelmet's Twitter Profile

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Clearly, this reality is different from the TOS one, at least as far as the Romulans are concerned, since Uhura can speak 3 distinct Romulan dialects...
Why is that a problem?

You know, they negotiated that old treaty over "subspace radio." You figure that it was all done in English?

The fact that Uhura speaks Romulan fluently is evidently considered to be an unusual accomplishment. This is probably because Romulan is not a language commonly taught or used on Earth or in Starfleet - which it wouldn't be, if its most recent practical use had been decades earlier.

Then there's the possible "oh, but Uhura didn't mention knowing anything about Romulans in 'Balance Of Terror.'"

True, but that doesn't make the fact that she does know it a violation of canon. Despite Kirk's broadcast announcement to the ship explaining all about the Romulans (for the benefit of the TV audience) it's clearly not unusual for Starfleet officers to know something about them - of the bridge crew on watch we know that at least three did.
Who cares if it's a "violation of canon"?

Bring it on! Let it violate canon! Almost every previous Trek movie, FWIW, violates its canon.

Judge it on it's own merits -- Does it entertain? Do the characters, at heart, remain true to the ones we know? That's what I care about.
Old November 12 2008, 02:58 AM   #25
Procutus
Admiral

^

I agree, if it holds true to the characters and feels like TOS, then that's probably the best we can hope for.

I'm guessing that any canon violations will be explained by the time-travelling of both Old Spock and the 24th century Rommies.

I was hoping they'd adhere to the source material a bit more than this, but I'm still willing to judge this film on its own merits.
Old November 12 2008, 03:04 AM   #26
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I think the idea that Kirk and Sulu engage them in hand-to-hand combat and most likely see that they're of Vulcan stock it the part I'm having a hard time reconciling with the events of 'Balance of Terror'.

Even ENT respected the fact that there was no face-to-face with the Rommies back then.
True, but we haven't gotten a good look at the Romulans Kirk and Sulu fight.

In the first poster picture released of the Romulan Nero, he appears to have mutilated his ear so that it is not pointed. Do you suppose the Romulans do that before they face off with the humans, for some reason?

Then, of course, there's the fact that these Romulans have traveled back from the 24th century with the specific intention of making the past different than it was...
Old November 12 2008, 03:22 AM   #27
GulDucati
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Since Nero went back as far as the day Kirk was born and raised all hell, undoubtedly that changed history a fair bit. There is also dialogue about Nero attacking 47 Klingon ships or something like that. Who knows what changes to the "normal canon timeline" all this caused.
Old November 12 2008, 04:00 AM   #28
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

How does everyone know all these bits of dialogue? Or am I missing something???
Old November 12 2008, 04:10 AM   #29
ancient
Vice Admiral

RegentWorf wrote: View Post
How does everyone know all these bits of dialogue? Or am I missing something???
SPOILERS

http://www.empireonline.com/empireblog/Post.asp?id=313

There is a thread on this in the STXI forum.
Old November 12 2008, 04:20 AM   #30
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

This movie sounds like "fun". Nero going back and messing with the timeline will be the reason Kirk, et al see Romulans before they were supposed to. This sounds better than I thought. I am a big "canon" person, but I will forgive some juggling a little. And we still don't know if it will be all put back by the end.