Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the episode
Excellent 25 32.89%
Above average 26 34.21%
Average 18 23.68%
Below average 5 6.58%
Poor 2 2.63%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 11 2008, 04:11 AM   #31
Mr Light
Admiral

Re: HEROES 3x08 "Villains" Discuss and Grade

That was an excellent episode, it really answered a lot of questions about the past, and I really like Arthur Petrelli as the villain. And there were so many returning old villains and S1 continuity bits! Nice.

I'm really pissed they killed the African seer though, I really liked that guy! He was one of my three favorite new characters (Daphe, Arthur). I was hoping he would join the main cast.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2008, 04:15 AM   #32
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Claire has another uncle. Uncle Flint. Uncle Peter, Uncle Sylar, and Uncle Flint...all psychos and morons.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2008, 04:18 AM   #33
The Habs Fan
Commodore

Well, I give this episode an Average rating.

"Meh" is how I sum up this episode. Really, there wasn't anything really new or surprising except for Linderman's morality by curing Angela and HRG being the guy who made Sylar bad. The HRG thing I predicted right when I saw him and Elle observing Sylar, but I have to admit it makes sense that HRG is the one who had a hand in Sylar turning evil, as it explains why he's so angry with Sylar and what he did to Claire.

But nothing really happened in this episode, and I don't like that Hiro's powers seem to be completely drained at the end of this episode. Arthur Petrelli is just not that interesting of a villain to me. When we first got introduced to him this season, I was intrigued, but he's turned out so one-dimensionally evil.
The Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2008, 04:21 AM   #34
FreezeC77
Commodore

So I wonder how Arthur got the drop on African Isaac, he seemed to always know what Hiro was doing and Hiro could jump through time.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2008, 04:23 AM   #35
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Goodbye Usutsu

well he'll never be head of a major company. That's no way to get ahead in life
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2008, 04:34 AM   #36
The Habs Fan
Commodore

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
So I wonder how Arthur got the drop on African Isaac, he seemed to always know what Hiro was doing and Hiro could jump through time.
I was wondering that as well.
The Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2008, 04:45 AM   #37
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

That didn't do HRG any favors, did it? Interesting episode, but my interest is waning. Angela, Nathan, Peter.....maybe just Angela and Nathan were all that piqued my interest. So Arthur really tried to do Nathan in? Cool. Even Sylar seemed boring tonight. It's not really a redemption if he was manipulated into it all.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2008, 04:46 AM   #38
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Here's my full review...

didn't think this episode was bad. It was cool to revisit the first season. But the retconning drove me crazy. This episode seemed to be trying to piss on everything that made the first season so good.

Especially with Sylar. So far we have learned in Season 3 that the reason he kills is because of "the hunger" and that he was manipulated by HRG. Sylar was awesome because he was so badass and he was proud of it. I'd rather Sylar made the decision to be evil instead of him being manipulated or having "the hunger" It makes his redemption much more compelling. But TPTB are attempting to sugarcoat his bloody past.

I liked Kristen Bell as Elle but this wasn't her character. The Elle we were introduced too in Season 2 was almost completely unhinged. She killed a guy with little provocation. She didn't worry about the soul. She's normal and nice here. I realize that HRG was a lot more morally ambigious when we first met him but seriously, he just let Sylar kill people and didn't do anything? The Company wanted proof of Sylar killing people...like probable cause has ever been a reason for them to snatch the superpowered. I always assumed Sylar came out of nowhere. But no, they knew about him all along.

I'm sorry but I find Arthur Petrelli to be very one-dimensional. There's nothing unique or charismatic about him. Robert Forster has portrayed him only one way. Dull and bland.

His scene at the end though was pretty cool. I'm sorry that African Issac was killed. He was killed.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2008, 04:50 AM   #39
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Well.
Not much happened. Except Hiro discovering something we all knew for like 4 episodes: that Arthur is alive. Big fucking whoop.
And as far as filling in the holes...it just made the universe feel SOOO small.
Claire with ANOTHER uncle?
Her mom was the cause of the train fire?
Elle and HRG made Sylar go bad? (which is INCREDIBLY lame.)
And of course as soon as Arthur said, Well, I guess Nathan is going to have to die, I was WAY ahead of them with the car wreck.

This is what I would call a pot (not plot) filling episode. Needless things answered, that really weren't questions.

We are more than half way through this volume and not much has happened besides little things. It's been about the villians getting together....it's a 12 episode ORIGIN story.

And hell, this episode didn't need Hiro as a framing device AT ALL.

Basically, it was an hour of exposition...for stuff that happened TWO YEARS ago. It doesn't add to the CURRENT story...not that there's much going on with that.

Thank god they've fired some of the producers, perhaps there is hope for the next volume.
Old November 11 2008, 04:51 AM   #40
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

But TPTB are attempting to sugarcoat his bloody past.
boy are they, its lame just how badly they want you to feel sorry for him now.

EDIT: another frustrating thing, they never got into why the Petrellis gave up Gabriel.
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2008, 05:13 AM   #41
DontFeedPhil
Fleet Captain

I thought this episode was great. I said it after we first met Mr Petrelli that we needed a flashback episode to explain how he got to be how he was.
One thing I think Heros has done wrong since the beginning of Season2. They moved too fast with the plot and just used the characters to serve the plot. I find the show MUCH more interesting when they have the show serve the characters. When they go into details about the characters and things happen because of that. There is a difference. And that would help Hero's main problem. The whole plot and each seasons plots are to easy for them to shoot their load and then be left with nothing else to do but rehash the same save the world plot. Id rather they slow down and tell the story about the characters and not the "Save the world" plot...
DontFeedPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2008, 05:43 AM   #42
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

I thought it was a pretty decent episode, I liked how they fit everything together (even if it wasn't 100% perfect).

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
Claire has another uncle. Uncle Flint. Uncle Peter, Uncle Sylar, and Uncle Flint...all psychos and morons.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2008, 05:50 AM   #43
Geck
Rear Admiral

Decent. There was a lot of interesting things going on, and I liked the way some stuff tied together, but the episode as a whole just didn't seem paced very well. It was slow, dull, and a lot of the sequences completely lacked any tension. Nonetheless, Cristine Rose almost singlehandedly made the episode still enjoyable.

Nice to see Eric Roberts again (he's always been one of my old man crushes). Sad about African Dude.
Geck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2008, 05:51 AM   #44
Bacl
Fleet Captain

Flush.
Old November 11 2008, 06:16 AM   #45
Meredith
Vice Admiral

It was no 6months ago, but it worked pretty well.