TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 7 2008, 01:43 AM   #1
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

The Three Musketeers

Spoiler Warning.

Alexandre Dumas' The Three Musketeers was on my to-read list for a long time before I saw a modern, lauded translation on the shelf with a pretty attractive cover and just had to pick it up. (The translator's name is Richard Pevear, if anyone's interested.)

This was an awesome read. One of the problems with being a voracious reader is that you're always thinking about the next book, and sometimes at the expense of the one you're on. Not this time. From beginning to end, I was completely caught up in the story and the only reason I was in a "rush" to finish it was because I wanted to know what happened. And what happened was pretty darn breathtaking. The whole last three chapters or so (Milady's execution) took me completely off-guard; I was so unprepared to have that happen to her that it was almost horrifying in its ritualism. Despite everything she did, and no matter how much she may have deserved it, I couldn't help feeling slightly sympathetic. As you can probably tell, although I knew of the book and its reputation, I knew nothing of the plot--a real advantage, I think.

I can't wait to read The Count of Monte Cristo! (Not to mention the rest of the D'Artagnan Romances.)
Old November 7 2008, 02:54 AM   #2
Neroon
Mod of balance

Re: The Three Musketeers

Obviously, your thread concerns the literary work, and I don't want to divert the thread from that focus. However, I will be interested in seeing your opinion of the various film adaptation of this great, great story. Not just comparisons of Lana Turner with Rebecca DeMornay in their portrayals of the Countess deWinter. But it's always interesting to see how well a book translates to the screen - especially when that book is a recognized classic work.

Incidentally, I wasn't aware of additional works involving D'artagnan. Cool!
Old November 7 2008, 04:39 AM   #3
TGTheodore
Writer

S. Gomez wrote: View Post
I can't wait to read The Count of Monte Cristo! (Not to mention the rest of the D'Artagnan Romances.)
I hope you haven't seen the latest film version of Cristo which changed MANY major plot points -- and for the worse.

The novel itself is an interesting read. Remember, it (like most of the "novels" of the period), were originally written as serials, not novels. So prepare yourself for some interesting story "off-ramps".

And enjoy!!

--Ted
Old November 7 2008, 07:53 AM   #4
Orintho
Vice Admiral

Not just comparisons of Lana Turner with Rebecca DeMornay in their portrayals of the Countess deWinter. But it's always interesting to see how well a book translates to the screen - especially when that book is a recognized classic work.
And how did you possibly miss the best film version of the 'Three Musketeers':

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072281/
Old November 7 2008, 08:46 AM   #5
TGTheodore
Writer

Orintho wrote: View Post
... the best film version of the 'Three Musketeers':

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072281/
Agreed. Seeing it on the BIG screen was just a real blast. And I'm glad they split it into two movies rather than whittle it down to one.

Even Return of the Musketeers (with largely the same cast) was much better than most swashbucklers. Though it really paled next to the "original", it was still fun spending time with that cast again.

--Ted
Old November 7 2008, 10:05 AM   #6
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

I just know I'm gonna get smacked for this, but my favorite version of TTM is the Disney adaptation...
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7 2008, 12:26 PM   #7
Neroon
Mod of balance

TG Theodore wrote: View Post
I hope you haven't seen the latest film version of Cristo which changed MANY major plot points -- and for the worse.
Do you mean the one with Jim Caveziel and Guy Pierce?

The novel itself is an interesting read. Remember, it (like most of the "novels" of the period), were originally written as serials, not novels. So prepare yourself for some interesting story "off-ramps".
I never knew that. It does lend a certain insight to those books, given that they weren't created as a complete, self-contained work.
Old November 7 2008, 01:58 PM   #8
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

Neroon wrote: View Post
No I haven't seen it yet, or any of the film versions. Yet again I'll be going into it with no knowledge of the plot.

I never knew that. It does lend a certain insight to those books, given that they weren't created as a complete, self-contained work.
Oh yeah, I know these are serials. But I don't think that necessarily means that the books published that way weren't intended as a complete work; the authors made plot notes for the overall story and looked ahead to a planned ending, just like you would do with book novel. And while I was reading T3M I actually had a tought time placing where the divisions would have been originally.

Still, I've been meaning for a while to read a Dickens novel at one installment a week to get something of the original effect.
Old November 7 2008, 07:49 PM   #9
TGTheodore
Writer

Neroon wrote: View Post
Yes. A few of the changes were actually good, but some of the really big story elements were changed to ... well ... lessen the impact and consequences of things done by major characters.

--Ted
Old November 7 2008, 10:17 PM   #10
CorporalClegg
Admiral

You know, I've never read the full version of this.

I have two copies of it and they're both abridged. Same goes for Montie Cristo.
Old November 8 2008, 12:33 AM   #11
TGTheodore
Writer

The full-length Cristo is about 1200 pages, (depending on the font size, of course).

--Ted
Old November 8 2008, 03:22 AM   #12
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Yeah, but I read fast.
Old November 8 2008, 09:48 AM   #13
Neroon
Mod of balance

Yes. A few of the changes were actually good, but some of the really big story elements were changed to ... well ... lessen the impact and consequences of things done by major characters.

--Ted
Without veering from the original topic too much, there is one especially egregious change that to me completely changes the whole thrust of the story (Mercedes staying with Edmund at the end). I cannot recall how much of that is done with The Three Musketeers, however.
Old November 8 2008, 02:15 PM   #14
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

^Gah! I haven't read Monte Cristo!
Old November 10 2008, 05:28 AM   #15
sojourner
Admiral

^ I WAS going to make a joke about needing spoiler warnings for a 100+ year old book.....