Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old November 10 2008, 11:24 AM   #16
Procutus
Admiral

Re: Detailed New 'Star Trek XI" Trailer Details Emerge

The AICN report has another person besides Jack the Tipper who claims to have seen the trailer on the Paramount lot, where they were screening it all day (Friday?) and it was open to all who wanted to see it, not just brass.

Both individuals reported seeing much the same thing, in about the same order of sequence, so perhaps it IS really true. We'll see. Perhaps this will be a case of the movie actually being better than the trailer.

Old November 10 2008, 02:00 PM   #17
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Wouldn't that be like a modern teenager hijacking a horse and carriage for a spin? I guess that Corvette must have an automatic transmission as well?

I love Jack the Tipper as an alias though...
Old November 10 2008, 03:21 PM   #18
Jefferies
Captain

Procutus wrote: View Post
The AICN report has another person besides Jack the Tipper who claims to have seen the trailer on the Paramount lot, where they were screening it all day (Friday?) and it was open to all who wanted to see it, not just brass.

Both individuals reported seeing much the same thing, in about the same order of sequence, so perhaps it IS really true. We'll see. Perhaps this will be a case of the movie actually being better than the trailer.
Yeah, but Abrams and his goons have been beating the drum about how totally awesome this trailer is. So, if it turns out that they are wrong on that count, could it be that they are wrong about other things as well? Maybe, like how totally awesome the movie is?

I know this line of reasoning annoys the hell out of some people here and they won't concede that anything is not perfect until, oh I don't know, the director's cut special edition is released in a few decades or so. To them, before we don’t have 100% of all the facts no criticism can be taken seriously.

Well to me that is just too blindly optimistic. From Abrams comments about how Star Trek needs to be made cool and that he prefers Star Wars to Star Trek, to the lame time travel plot contrivance, the set designs and the teenage look of "Captain" Kirk - the harbingers of what is to come are plentiful. Call me cynical but I will not gush over this movie until they give me a good reason to. In my opinion, from what we have seen and heard, Abrams et al. have an uphill clime ahead of them. Let's see if they ever make it to the top.
Old November 10 2008, 04:45 PM   #19
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I have no reason to be other than excited and optimistic about the movie. There just hasn't been anything about it thus far that strikes me as a big negative.

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Wouldn't that be like a modern teenager hijacking a horse and carriage for a spin? I guess that Corvette must have an automatic transmission as well?
I dunno. Pike liked his horses, didn't he?

As for the automatic transmission - maybe. Maybe no one involved thought the "Piece Of The Action" comedy routine was particularly important.
Old November 10 2008, 04:49 PM   #20
T'Aerwynd
Lieutenant Commander

Jefferies wrote: View Post
Call me cynical but I will not gush over this movie until they give me a good reason to.
Likewise, perhaps there are those of us who will not criticize the movie until we're given good reason to. I'm excited about it even though I've heard things I like and things I haven't. But I'm willing to withhold judgment one way or the other until I've actually sat through the movie.
Old November 10 2008, 05:09 PM   #21
GodThingFormerly
A Different Kind of Asshole

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
The "vintage Corvette" bit sounds lame.
The 1990 hard sci-fi novel Iris by William Barton & Michael Capobianco features an amusing scene in which three of the characters drive an electric-powered 1960 Corvette replica across an ice moon orbiting the titular gas giant planet when the idiot behind the wheel, Brendan Sealock, intentionally steers it into a crater (much to the horror of the passenger who actually owns and assembled the car, Harmon Prynne).

TGT
Old November 10 2008, 05:54 PM   #22
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
I have no reason to be other than excited and optimistic about the movie. There just hasn't been anything about it thus far that strikes me as a big negative.

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I dunno. Pike liked his horses, didn't he?

As for the automatic transmission - maybe. Maybe no one involved thought the "Piece Of The Action" comedy routine was particularly important.
*Won't someone please think of the canon?*

Seriously though, it will be good to see because I haven't been able to shake envisioning the intro to Heavy Metal since I first heard it rumored ages ago.
Old November 10 2008, 08:46 PM   #23
Amasov
Rear Admiral

Yeh, I'm fuzzy on Kirk driving this vintage car.. I do like McCoy's line, though.

"Space isn't supposed to be fun. It's aliens and phasers and death!"

Good ol' Bones!
Old November 11 2008, 01:15 AM   #24
Procutus
Admiral

Amasov wrote: View Post

Yeh, I'm fuzzy on Kirk driving this vintage car.

I'm guessing that this Corvette has to be a completely rebuilt and uprated vehicle. Hard enough to believe that it survived three centuries (despite the body being made of fiberglass), let alone that it is still fueled by petrol.

I'm guessing some kind of nuclear engine?