RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,654
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 575
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 8 2008, 09:38 PM   #1
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Dracula "sequel" in the works.

I was browsing around trying to find more literature based around Dracula and Vampires in general and came across this;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008....stoker.undead

An official sequel to the original 1897 novel, 111 years later, written by a member of the Stoker family.

The book picks up in 1912, many years after the events of the first novel and follows existing characters as well as several new ones, the back stories and biographies taken from Bram's original notes and manuscripts.

Now I'm a big Dracula fan, and the fact that another Stoker is in charge having spent years pouring over the source material for "the" book, I'm still apprehensive to a sequel after over a century.
Old November 8 2008, 09:40 PM   #2
Dream
Admiral

Re: Dracula "sequel" in the works.

Will movie be titled Dracula 2001?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Dracula 2000 was released in the UK and Europe as Dracula 2001 so no.

The book and film will both carry the name "Dracula: The Un-Dead" which was to be the name of the first novel until an editor asked Stoker to change it to just "Dracula".
Old November 9 2008, 03:07 AM   #4
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Just being a member of the Stoker family has to do squat with being able to write.

I've got great singers in my family yet i can't carry a tune if my life depended on it and the same applies to writing.

This is a simple cash in on a famous book and i hate it.
FPAlpha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2008, 03:15 AM   #5
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
Dracula 2000 was released in the UK and Europe as Dracula 2001 so no.

The book and film will both carry the name "Dracula: The Un-Dead" which was to be the name of the first novel until an editor asked Stoker to change it to just "Dracula".
Smart editor. Sounds odd though, did they even title books like that back then?
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2008, 03:16 AM   #6
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I'm sure this will do about as well as the 'Gone With the Wind' sequel from a decade or so back.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2008, 04:34 AM   #7
AJBryant
Fleet Captain

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Sounds odd though, did they even title books like that back then?

Worse:

The Fortunes and Misfortunes of the Famous Moll Flanders, Etc. Who Was Born In Newgate, and During a Life of Continu'd Variety For Threescore Years, Besides Her Childhood, Was Twelve Year a Whore, Five Times a Wife [Whereof Once To Her Own Brother], Twelve Year a Thief, Eight Year a Transported Felon In Virginia, At Last Grew Rich, Liv'd Honest, and Died a Penitent. Written from her own Memorandums
Abba Anthony [St. Anthony the Great] said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him, saying, 'You are mad; you are not like us.' " -- Wisdom of the Desert Fathers
AJBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2008, 07:36 AM   #8
nx1701g
Admiral

I may pick it up, though I wonder how well it'll do.
Old November 9 2008, 12:36 PM   #9
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Well, this certainly sounds interesting, if nothing else. I think it's great that they're drawing on Stoker's notes and unpublished material; it seems to be a respectful and sincere attempt at a continuation. I'm sure I'll pick it up.
Old November 9 2008, 02:34 PM   #10
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Well, this certainly sounds interesting, if nothing else. I think it's great that they're drawing on Stoker's notes and unpublished material; it seems to be a respectful and sincere attempt at a continuation. I'm sure I'll pick it up.
It does, from what reading around I've done, the book will be based entirely off of the material not used from the first book and Bram's own outlines for the existing characters pasts and paths he would have liked them to take after the defeat of Dracula.

As I pointed out on another board the first novel did have an epilogue where the remains of Dracula have gone missing, an ominous ending designed to be followed up on. I think Bram died before he could do so.
Old November 9 2008, 07:48 PM   #11
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

AJBryant wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Sounds odd though, did they even title books like that back then?

Worse:

The Fortunes and Misfortunes of the Famous Moll Flanders, Etc. Who Was Born In Newgate, and During a Life of Continu'd Variety For Threescore Years, Besides Her Childhood, Was Twelve Year a Whore, Five Times a Wife [Whereof Once To Her Own Brother], Twelve Year a Thief, Eight Year a Transported Felon In Virginia, At Last Grew Rich, Liv'd Honest, and Died a Penitent. Written from her own Memorandums
I think that was the first "cover blurb" but was accidentally put on the front by the unprepared printers.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9 2008, 10:54 PM   #12
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

I was browsing around trying to find more literature based around Dracula and Vampires in general and came across this;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008....stoker.undead

An official sequel to the original 1897 novel, 111 years later, written by a member of the Stoker family.

The book picks up in 1912, many years after the events of the first novel and follows existing characters as well as several new ones, the back stories and biographies taken from Bram's original notes and manuscripts.
Leaving aside for a moment the absurdity of the notion of a sequel to Bram Stoker's novel, this has "need some quick cash" written all over it and does not sound at all encouraging from a quality standpoint.

One small nitpick, though:

Now I'm a big Dracula fan, and the fact that another Stoker is in charge having spent years pouring over the source material for "the" book, I'm still apprehensive to a sequel after over a century.
It's "poring over"; "pouring over" is what a waterfall does, or perhaps a river breaching a levee. Yes, I know lots of people write it that way, but it still doesn't make it correct.

Pardon my bitching.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2008, 01:47 AM   #13
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

It's true, we certainly wouldn't want the reputation of "Dracula" besmirched by some kind of exploitation or cheap knockoff.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2008, 10:37 AM   #14
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Leaving aside for a moment the absurdity of the notion of a sequel to Bram Stoker's novel, this has "need some quick cash" written all over it and does not sound at all encouraging from a quality standpoint.
I think we should keep an open mind until we see it.
Old November 10 2008, 06:51 PM   #15
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Actually, Stoker's original title was simply "The Un-Dead," not "Dracula: The Un-Dead."

And Stoker had no children, so I assume this is the ancestor of a distant cousin or something.