Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old November 13 2008, 12:43 PM   #1
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
UKTV History to become Yesterday

From Digital Spy

UKTV History will be rebranded Yesterday early next year, it was confirmed today.

A rebrand of UKTV's factual channel portfolio was confirmed in August, with UKTV People and UKTV Documentary already scheduled to turn into Blighty and Eden respectively.

Yesterday will shift the emphasis of UKTV's history channel onto modern events, with series such as Seven Ages of Rock and The Alan Clark Diaries being sprinkled into the programming mix along with new acquisitions including International Terrorism.

"Yesterday sets out to redefine what a history channel can be about," said UKTV controller Matthew Littleford. "We promise to deliver a channel packed with shows that offer a more inclusive, accessible and entertaining approach to the past. This change adds to the excitement already created by our new brands Eden and Blighty and together our three new Factual channels will be a major draw for audience into the documentary section of the EPG."
Well I guess shifting focus to recent history it's gonna stop it being UKTV Hitler, but why couldn't they just widen their horizons and go for the whole of history, rather than just the mid 20th century onwards?
Old November 13 2008, 12:57 PM   #2
jongredic
Fleet Captain

Re: UKTV History to become Yesterday

I agree we could definitely do with less of the Hitler repeats. Thank goodness they stopped showing Tenko on endless loop It is a pity they'll be moving away from showing a wider range of history though. Only being on Freeview, I don't have the same access to documentaries as a lot of the Digital crowd, and it looks like that selection might become a little narrower. I might have to settle for dramatic recitals of Wikipedia pages...

How long do you think it'll be before it becomes Yesterdave?
Old November 13 2008, 01:01 PM   #3
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

jongredic wrote: View Post
I agree we could definitely do with less of the Hitler repeats. Thank goodness they stopped showing Tenko on endless loop It is a pity they'll be moving away from showing a wider range of history though. Only being on Freeview, I don't have the same access to documentaries as a lot of people, and it looks like that selection might become a little narrower.

How long do you think it'll be before it becomes Yesterdave?
Well since it says "We promise to deliver a channel packed with shows that offer a more inclusive, accessible and entertaining approach to the past." I think it already is.
Old November 13 2008, 01:20 PM   #4
jongredic
Fleet Captain

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post

Well since it says "We promise to deliver a channel packed with shows that offer a more inclusive, accessible and entertaining approach to the past." I think it already is.
I feel a Planet of the Apes MANIACS scene coming on...
Old November 13 2008, 08:28 PM   #5
RevdKathy
BobTheSkutter's wife

View RevdKathy's Twitter Profile

Can we have select channels for every other period of history? UKTVTudor, UKTVVictoriana, UKTVMiddleAges and just for me, UKTVPrehistory. That would allow for maximum consumer choice. Otherwise those of us who don't consider anything in living memory to be history are missing out.
Old November 13 2008, 08:33 PM   #6
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

^They'll probably move the other stuff to UKTV Documentary, or Eden as it will be called from now on.
At least Discovery is gonna do a freeview channel, hopefully they'll have a mix of documentaries covering all genres.
Old November 13 2008, 08:41 PM   #7
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Don't you already have a TV station called Bob or Dave or something?

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2008, 08:45 PM   #8
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
G.O.L.D, Dave, Alibi, Watch, Blighty, Eden and Yesterday are all channels in the UKTV network.(or soon will be when UKTV Drama, Documentary, History and People are renamed.)
Old November 13 2008, 08:50 PM   #9
jongredic
Fleet Captain

Yup, we've got a Dave (the home of witty banter, no less), but I'm pretty sure I'd watch Bob too. I draw the line at Saintjohn.
Old November 13 2008, 08:52 PM   #10
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Blighty!

These names are wild.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2008, 08:54 PM   #11
RevdKathy
BobTheSkutter's wife

View RevdKathy's Twitter Profile

^They'll probably move the other stuff to UKTV Documentary, or Eden as it will be called from now on.
At least Discovery is gonna do a freeview channel, hopefully they'll have a mix of documentaries covering all genres.
If discovery bring out a Freeview channel, I might just chuck in the Sky for a few months. Then I could get a good deal on SkyHD as a new customer!
Old November 13 2008, 08:56 PM   #12
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Blighty!

These names are wild.
Network website

Basically their content is 99% repeats of BBC shows.
Old November 13 2008, 08:59 PM   #13
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

RevdKathy wrote: View Post
If discovery bring out a Freeview channel, I might just chuck in the Sky for a few months. Then I could get a good deal on SkyHD as a new customer!
They had a good deal for existing customers £75 to upgrade, I don't know if it's still on. I got rid of Sky about 18 months ago, and don't miss it, I did get Freesat for BBC HD though.
Discovery confirmed a channel will be starting on freeview in the new year, and CNN will be starting a channel 4 hours a day, too.
Old November 13 2008, 09:14 PM   #14
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

Dave is just about the only free view channel i can get as long as its not raining or too windy lol.
Good job i am a top gear and QI fan.
Is 5th gear and the rally thing the only non BBC shows on dave.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2008, 09:17 PM   #15
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
Dave is just about the only free view channel i can get as long as its not raining or too windy lol.
Good job i am a top gear and QI fan.
Is 5th gear and the rally thing the only non BBC shows on dave.
No, there's Argumental, Speedsters, the extreme-sport stuff and I think one or two others I think.