Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old November 7 2008, 03:16 PM   #16
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles
Re: Trek-like Hologram Makes TV Appearance

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
I think he's had that all along, to some extent. I used to watch him years ago on ABC's World News Tonight (if I couldn't get back to sleep at 3 in the morning) and he had it then, too.
Ah, good ol' World News Now. I used to get up super-early in the morning to catch the last 30 minutes of it. Only place on TV where you could get the forecast for Lake Wobegon, MN.
"For those of you playing the home game, this is what is known as a 'Prince Albert'. And I'm sure that was his last wish. 'Victoria, I'm dying. I want you to name a museum, a performance hall, and a bolt through the cock after me.'"
—Robin Williams, Live on Broadway
Old November 7 2008, 08:31 PM   #17
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Do the World News Polka!

They used to have way too much fun on that show.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
Old November 8 2008, 02:06 AM   #18
K-Star
Fleet Captain

It's a FAAAAAAKE! *is surprised no one has said that yet*

Yeah. Nice bit of camera trickery that normally would be insanely hard to do without green screen, and it's awesome how they synched the movement of the camera so it looked like the "hologram" was right there. But it's not a true hologram.
Old November 8 2008, 06:33 AM   #19
Alpha_Geek
Commodore

35 HD cameras??

If they're sending data from all of them to do this, that's some serious bandwidth!

HD data streams are 19 megabits, so that adds up to 665 Mb assuming there's no better compression scheme than standard HD has.

Didn't see the example sited, and likely won't see this in my home any time soon!!

AG
Old November 8 2008, 06:55 AM   #20
Dale
Vice Admiral

It. Was not. A hologram.

Didn't anyone read my post? It was filmed inside a green-screen tent by 35 HD cameras surrounding the subject. Those images were sent to a computer at CNN which was telemetry-linked to the movement of the cameras on the CNN stage and adjusted the image perspective accordingly. The image was composited into the picture and broadcast. No hologram appeared on the red dot on the CNN stage. Wolf Blitzer and Anderson Cooper were acting like they saw something that was not there. Calling it a hologram was a bit of marketing sophistry and the beam-in effect was pure digital showmanship. There was nothing even vaguely holographic about this image. Thus far, no one can create a three-dimensional holographic image without some medium (glass cylinder, mist, smoke, etc) onto which it can be projected.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3